News

Has your 308/328 ever had any gearbox work done?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Feb 26, 2004.

?

Has your 308/328 ever had gearbox work done?

1. Yes

2. No, but it needs it

3. No, and the gearbox is fine (shifts fine, etc.).

4. I don't know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So I'm struggling with some worn syncros at a (really verified!) 60k miles, which seems premature to me.

Was wondering if anybody's 308/328 has ever had gearbox work done? I guess this would imply pulling the engine, possibly separating the gearbox FROM the engine, and opening the gearbox up.

If yes, could you post your year/model 308/328 AND the mileage that the work was done at?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mark 328

Mark 328 Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Orange, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark Foley
    Mike;
    Did you try to change the oil? Are you sure it is bad synchros? I understand the right oil can make huge difference in shiftability. My 328 has 65K miles and is a little "notchy" but it shifts good after it is warm. I plan on switching to Redline 75-90NS.

Mark

4. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Mike, I have a 75 GT4 with 72,000 on the clock, never ever had any tranny work done and I have only replaced the clutch only once! Not bad eh? No notchiness in my shifting, still shifts as new. I use StaLube 75W-90 for LS and it works just fine for me. Been using StaLube since I bought mine in 1982.

5. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    Mike,
    I have an 81 308 GTSi with 30K miles. The second gear syncro's are bad, but I have yet to fix them. As I recall, they were always a problem from the first day I bought the car new. I guess I have just learned to live with it. When I finally get to the point where I have to do an engine out, I will rebuild second gear at that time. My 2 cents.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Professional Ferrari Technician Consultant

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My engine is out right now for a rebuild. I figured I might aswell replace the 1st and second while the thing is apart. I wasn't having problems with it,but they are common to go,and besides my car is 22 years old now. It it was a while your there type deal for me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tom: I would recommend checking 3rd gear very carefully (the ring and the hub, too). The 328 workshop manual describes in detail how to do this. 3rd is the problem for me--2nd is also an issue--1st is seldom an issue. My $0.02.

--Mike

9. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Naples
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Yes, I too have gone through a transmision rebuild, several synchros as well as a couple of gears. Expensive, but shifts real nice now. I am just know getting back to shifting into second as opposed to skipping it most of the time.