Have a drool at this collection ... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Have a drool at this collection ...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PSk, Jan 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Rob can EVEN "DELETE" this thread if you convince him.

It would have to be deemed as causing SEVERE PERSONAL DURESS, or something like that. You'll have to do better than "mildly offended" OK?

But again, my personal apologies.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Speedy for the heads up. Right now I don't see any problems with any statements made. Psk and others have the right to say what they did and Jersey has a right to come on here and defend.

Everyone is just chatting away and very few on here know 100% of the story. Just assumptions and opinions being stated.

All very interesting and makes for a good thread. Jersey, don't take any comments personally, they are based on assumptions.

Maybe an argument can be made for keeping the Ferraris in orginal condition? I think the market has been rewarding Ferraris in orginal condition more.

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Point made there.

Wayne said one of the cars went to Europe and had been confirmed there!

Thanks, Rob. Just hated to see that as Post #1!

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sounds like they have passed through to the next generation! Forza!

Oil 'em up and fire 'em off!.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Please tell us how are those Ferraris doing ? are they being used ? restored ?

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Now, sometimes they HOOK my car without actually OWNING it!

THAT would be another thing! And reason to keep mum..........

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um, from what i can see, no one made any negative comments about your father...

Speedy, before we go apologizing for something we didn't even do, how do we even know this person is really the son of the person who owns all the cars in question...?

i don't see how any apologies are owed here, except maybe from Jersey, who came off a bit smug, in my opinion...

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well actually, after looking at the Lusso that Kare posted photos of (mentioning Mike Sheehan).....I might want to take it back!!

I doubt he'll be back. I thought it was funny his umbrage popped the thread back to the top! He should have just let it die, especially if the money from all of them is coming his way.

That Lusso WAS trashed, man! Engine heads in the front seat, stripped of steering wheel and interior. Man, I'm staying out of this one!

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm keeping the original dust on mine! LOL

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    See? ...............................Told ya!

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Millionaires are a pretty smug bunch, NNO!
    Did you get the message I have two more rotor frags for your collection?

I had hel_ getting that CF dust out of my carpet!
    It glittered in the sunlight, too.
    Probably shortened my life, by a few days there!

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You must surely understand that enthusiasts of anything get passionate about these sort of things, and do not appreciate owners not looking after them. One day your father may decide to sell and many of us will be hoping that there is still something worth buying ... ie. the car has not rotted away to nothing.

The same would be said of painting collectors. You do not store a valuable painting in your garage sheld and allow cr*p to form and build on it.

In the end they are your fathers cars, but these cars are not improving sitting unprotected like that. A car, like every other thing made out of metals, will deteriorate very fast if not keep clean and dry.

In the end considering your fathers investment (and maybe yours in the future) a simple wash plus few car covers and a cheap dehumdifier is not a lot of money and will pay for themselves many times over when or if you decide to restore or sell them.

Your call, but while your father owns the cars, many collectors do not think as though they own them, but instead they are looking after them for their future survival and enjoyment by others ... that is how I would look after a rare Ferrari if I was so lucky to own one.

If your father wants to collect cars to watch them rust away, I suggest that there are a lot of other types of cars that he could purchase ;)

Regards
    Pete

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Sorry to offend anyone, but if this guys father lets cars that we drool over, rot away, he is in fact an ******* in my book.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    If this is actually Basil Shadlun's boy, it certainly explains a lot. I don't think any apologies are in order.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Have you tried to deal with him on these cars????

16. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Okay, first of all I was only "mildly offended"....It really did not offend me that much...I've go thicker skin than that! I accidently happened upon this site and all I wanted to do was make it clear to everyone that the cars (including the ferraris) that my father has are not for sale. the lusso has been sold, but the remaing cars are not for sale, and won't be any time soon... my dad promised my brother and i that he would keep them for us. my father has a lot going on right now...and i know its hard to image, but restoring the ferraris is not his first concern right now. maybe sometime in the future, but not right now. thanks

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No worries! :)

Drop back by anytime. We're always here chatting!

We'd like to know what happens. Best of luck to you.

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Jersey1124 (sorry, but we don't know your name),

I second Alan's sentiments. Feel free to drop in and keep us posted or, better yet, to share any photos you might have. By the way, can you shed any light on this Enrico Pineda fellow and why he's been trying to sell your father's cars?

And, I'm sure all of us would like to know, why on earth were these cars left in such a neglected and exposed state for so long?

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Cool, lucky you. Thus would it not be a good idea for you and your brother to take some time and wash and look after these cars ... ?. It will make the restorations much easier, ie. less of the cars will have rusted away if looked after properly.

Your call, but a little bit of time and effort now will make a HUGE difference at the other end. Talk to the guys on this site and others than have completed restorations they will tell you that I am not being a smart arse, just trying to help. Clean and well stored cars will last for a long time, and thus less rust will have to be replaced, and thus the restorations easier and cheaper!

Just trying to help you.
    Pete

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Pete's advice is good. Just try to clean them up a bit. If your dad is too busy to restore them, but maybe just take the time to blow the dust off! It will retard corrosion. The two options aren't a) fully restore them or b) let them rot.

21. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Hello, My name is Basil Shadlun I am on my daughter's address because I do not have one at the moment. I am glad that so many people are interested in my collection of cars. I bought the California in 1973, I bought the 275 GTB in 1974. The cars are now in a nice, dry storage facility and I am intending on restoring the cars in a few years. I will try to post more recent pictures of the cars when I buy a computer. You can respond to this at my daughter's
    e-mail address. Thank you for your time.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks so much for checking in!

Best of luck with those wonderful cars. Looking forward to seeing them in the sunshine soon!

That's pretty amazing, if you ask me.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #48 BigTex, Mar 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Almost forgot! You are aware of the factory celebration of the 275GTB this year?????

All owners are invited to participate in a special tour of Italy with Factory sponsored events. Might be a little soon on your restoration schedule.

You or your daughter should register at the Ferrari Owner's Site, for more info.

Regards,

The World's Fastest Art Car
    As seen in Cavallino #133

Alan and Amanda Leach
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Hello, Basil. It's a pleasant surprise to have you here to comment on your own cars first hand. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions, as I've been curious about these things for quite some time.

I know the California was in a rough state when you purchased it, but how about the Lusso and 275? Can you share with us how you found these cars and how they came to be in what has been referred to as the "chicken coop?"

We love a great stories.

25. Jersey1124

Jersey1124 Rookie

Mar 22, 2004
    Why do want to know, Mr. Ausbrooks?