Have Ferraris Changed | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Have Ferraris Changed

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by delaney, Dec 6, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    For track I dont think any modern ferrari street car is the thing. If you're talking a street car on track it sorta has to be able sustain pace without fading terribly or buring up components. There are also less expensive ways to go faster on track than a road ferrari, and for track somehtign disposable as opposed to colelcatble is always an idea.

What impresses about porche pariticularily the Gt3 and Gt4 is theyre out the box cars that work well on street and as well as any street car can on track.
    Maybe a speciale or pista do also, but Ive yet to see them driven in anger on track, and theyre more collectable than disposable..

Pretty much every other car I can think of(execpt eliges) has shortcomings that become very apparent on track, but may be still fun cars on road. Some road cars besides the abovementioned porche and lotus can become quite competant on track if suitably upgraded, one wonders why they dont come from the factory that way, vettes and m series BMWs being a good example. Yes its a budget issue, but if a manufacturer is going to tout a model as their "track" capable car then it should be so. Part of the issue lays with testing by magazines. Theyre going for fatests lap. So car is run for 1 or two warmup laps then then one fastest lap. To me thats pointless information. As we know what car can do on lap 10 is really telling. Many of the fastest street cars cant make it to lap 10 let alone lap 5 without serious fade, thats a shortcoming.

One big surprise for me this year was the Alfa 4c. Yes its nervous at the limit, but on track it felt fast, in that it tore through the gears with vengance, was more than willing, the brakes held up just fine and the suspesion did not feel road car soft in the least, it felt all of a solid pirce. Impressive for a road car, and as fun and composed as a track car even if the limits are lower.

Agreed on the F50, maybe the styling misses, but its the road car synthesis of evrything great about the prior 20 years Ferrari F1 cars, before they lost the 12 and went all paddles.Truly a special machine of one.

greg328, day355 and Texas Forever like this.
  2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Alas, I’d love to ring out the F40 and TDF at Thermal... but membership is a bit steep.
    Have you driven these on track?
    Comparisons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Older cars are beautiful and hearken back to a different era now out of grasp. However, if it does not have A/C, power steering and power disc brakes then its really just a museum piece at this point for me. Both my shoulders are blown out and nothing worse than sweating and stuck to leather. I draw the line at modern turbo small blocks though. Not for me.

EnzoItaly and Texas Forever like this.
  4. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You are so right. My '64 Lusso was a beauty but, it drove like a truck compared to my 599.