Have we destroyed the 355? | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Have we destroyed the 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Monteman, Oct 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    By the looks of it that is the right side manifold. And what is that? cylinder #2 again, burned right through.

2. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #502 driveitdaily, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    you really love that photo huh??

4. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    i sure do , seems like there's a lot of people on here that have no sense of humor.

5. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Exactly.

And I add these two points also:

If you want to judge ANY forum poster, spend some time reading what they've contributed to the site over the years before you make any assumptions. I don't judge you based on your name or appearance. Heck, I'll even give a fellow F-car guy the benefit of the doubt-- we all have bad days, right?

There is no point in personal attacks. I've never seen anyone advance their own appearance or argument through them, they lessen the community, drive off people that are huge assets to the silent majority, and stink up the gym. If you have beef, just punch each other, then go have a beer and drop it. Then let's discuss it logically-- it is a discussion forum, that's what we do.

In closing, its a Ferrari. The parts are expensive, and the cars are made to push the envelope, be serviced frequently, and be sold to people with deep pockets and a desire for something unique or unusual. This should not be news.

Cars with a higher maintenance cost will probably always be cheaper to buy, and vice versa. I don't see any destruction or mystery there. All of these cars have a price to owning them, up front, or over time so get the car you want and don't worry about the money.

( And if you are still worried about the money, you have the wrong car. ;) )

6. Coltrane

Coltrane Rookie

Nov 29, 2013
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Seth
    OK I will jump in here......

1- I am not a 355 owner! (there got that out of the way)

2- This site does in fact tarnish the 355's rep TO THOSE who read and fixate themselves with the threads speaking of the known issues ....and there are too many threads to not pay attention at least a little (especially if your in the market, like me)....but other threads about all models bring up issues, just seems a little more so here and for one reason or another it gets personal....why? its just a car.....sorry friends..... its just a car....

3- The current argument between certain chat members I find rather childish to be blunt, and its definitely not going to change anyone's opinion on "destroying the 355"

4 - Although I said I am not a current owner of a 355....I have owned some costly autos and right now a new truck costs more than a 355... (and I always knew before the purchase, that in the end its a car and will require maintenance/repairs .......doesn't matter if its a Ferrari, Aston, Lambo, or a Hyundai).....I currently have some very costly heavy equipment (want to compare repairs, parts, operating costs, or initial purchase for that matter....umm no you don't, not in the 355 world anyway)....I dont get all razzed I have to fix something, or ticked off that the manufacturer didn't think it through a little better, I just fix it and move on.

5- To the OWNERS who are so bothered by all the talk or downgrading they feel is purposefully directed at the known issues with a 355...why get upset? This site is not going to direct your car's value in either direction....its too small....and most of the posting about issues is all from the same 30-40 members (that's a guess).... if you like your 355, drive it and enjoy it, what do you care what anyone else thinks of it.

6- Anyone seriously contemplating buying a 14 yr old Ferrari or a 14 yr old Mazda is going to have to deal with issues.....it goes without saying which one is going to cost more to keep up with. But any buyer that has half a brain will already have taken that into consideration before plunking down 65k on a 355.... Its not like he spent his life savings on a 355.....if he did obviously he's got bigger problems than what his 355 could throw at him...

Ok so I got long winded....I'll some it up like this... This site does have a negative impact on a 355 for those who get too involved in the known issue threads.....IMHO this site is not going to have any real world affect on the value or desirability of a 355 now or in the future....people who like them will continue to buy them it's that type of car...

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha! Who is that?

Not many people know this, but I'm a professional sawzaw'sist!

8. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    shuck's , the right header is #2 ? guess i have to cut that side up too.

Hell ,what does the owner expect our labor rate is only $200 an hour , if he don't like my butt crack he should go to the dealer!

9. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    Ferrari tech demonstrating the super secret, wheel-off, engine in, gut-out, sawzall timing belt service technique.

10. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #510 driveitdaily, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Finally a little humor in here!!!!!!!!!!!

wouldn't be funny though if i accidentally dropped that hammer.lol

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The title and reason for this thread was to stop talking negative about these awesome cars. Here is a summary: do your homework and understand the issues. If you can 't stomach the reality, don't own one. It's really that simple.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This site does get out of hand from time to time. I think it makes the owners look worse than the car. Owner behave like whiny, argumentative, immature children. I try not to, but I too get sucked in from time to time. One problem is the inability of some to separate facts and data from fantasy and supposition.

For me, the 355 forum is getting to be a real turn off.

13. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    Good, hopefully my stupid picture served it's purpose to lighten things up a little.

the captions are endless.

" what goes on at your dealer when nobody is looking"

" is that a ferrari approved unobtanium tri molecule vector sawzall blade"

14. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    to answer the questions,

Yes ,that's me with the butt crack

yes ,that's my 348 in the background

and no , i didn't steal it.

15. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Sigh of relief, yes some sense of humour finally. Thank you.

16. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Good of you to post your thoughts, added value in neutralizing (hmm maybe I should have said neutering) this thread. Thank you.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I think were in the same club

18. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    For those of you shopping for a 355 I think you should ask people on this site if there is one or two critical areas of the 355 that should be looked at or addressed if you are shopping for one or have recently purchased one.

On a few occasions I have noticed someone posting on here saying they just got a 355 and showing pictures of the engine bay.
    If I notice it looks like they have the original headers in the car I promptly warn them to get them inspected and highly recommend they be replaced.
    The reason I give is that it appears that the headers are the largest known piece of the puzzle that may lead to serious engine issues.

At least two new owners doubted my advice and then a few others jumped in and agreed the headers should be changed even if they looked good so the new owner went ahead and changed them.

Was it the correct thing to do? Maybe not maybe yes but they have now removed the largest questionable part from their car that could cause very expansive repairs down the road. Now that the OEM headers have been revised and also the price has been significantly reduced there is zero reason to not replace your old headers.

I can't see this scaring any prospective 355 buyers but if it does, I am sorry I am just trying to educate you based on my personal experience.

If other 355 owners, DIY or techs have other high probability failure points I would welcome them to share their observations to help educate prospective 355 buyers.

19. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    A few of the Professional mechanics on this site would disagree with that statement.

20. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I love the 355 and all its supposed life threatening issues!! <roll eyes> It keeps the whiners from owning one. This car is not for pansies and I for one like that about it.

Maybe if they do the owner verification tag on this forum we should do it by model. Having a 355 owner tag is far more masculine then some patsy that bought a 360. :)

Hahaha

21. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Is that really the case? If so, does anyone have evidence of this fact? I have heard that the OEM headers have never been revised.

22. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Isn't it time to close this thread yet?

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I don't know this for a fact but I may be the only one on here who recently installed new OEM headers (this past summer). I was told by the dealer who was told by FNA that they had been redesigned. The price was cut by 50% or so also.

Here is the thread in which most of that was discussed

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/424675-355-fabspeed-headers.html

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If they were recently made I am sure just manufacturing techniques alone would improve them.
    Were not using any machinery from the 90's much less 5 years ago

25. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    We gotta be close.