Have you been “Ratioed” yet ? | FerrariChat

Have you been “Ratioed” yet ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mirek, Jun 7, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Have you been “ratioed” (yet) ?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Nope !

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Which is to say that you now have more invested in maintenance, repair and restoration than what you actually paid for your car. Bonus points if you paid over market value when you acquired the car.

Face-palm.

Curious how exclusive this club is (that I just joined)

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John

kestrou and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    On the 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster that I have owned for 10 years now, I have spent 46% of the original purchase price on maintaining it to a pretty high standard.

OTOH, the value has risen 300% from purchase price.

I would recommend moving this to the vintage section where you would get the most interesting answers.

Mirek and vraa like this.
  4. audi_328

audi_328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Yes, on my 1986 911.

Then again, I bought it for a bit less than 15k and sold it last fall for more than I had into it over the last 13 years.

My intent was never to make anything on it when I bought it, but it worked out that way.

Bullfighter, Texas Forever and Mirek like this.
  5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I would imagine it is largely tied to long term ownership and/or the accumulation of miles and fastidious ownership (my case). I am also upside down several times over on a C5 434 build I simply went all out on and would not have it any other way

I have some cool watches that fortunately went in the other/better direction that kinda events everything out. If you look at it that way, which I don’t since I will never sell anything cool that I like.

Bullfighter and Texas Forever like this.
  6. kestrou

kestrou Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2023
    Danville, IL
    Full Name:
    Kevin E. Stroud
    A big part of this is being good at picking out the car initially - which I didn't do a good job on for my FIRST Ferrari...

Kevin

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I bought my 308 for $20kish. In the almost 12 years I owned it I put somewhere north of $30k into it. I've never fully added it up and it doesn't really matter.

I used to joke that I could sell it at any time for what I paid for it. Most not knowing how much on top of that I put into it.

Ended up selling it when the market turned up a bit, for something like $42.5k. Once I sold all the old and new parts I had sitting in my garage, I damn near broke even.

Have had many other cars that I never even came close to being able to say that on though.

Mirek and energy88 like this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I bought a brand new 2001 Maserati Spider. I was trying to get the replacement for the 360 Modena from the dealer and figured out this might put me higher on the list. My purchase price was exactly $100K. Now, everyone knows Masers depreciate like crazy and this car was no exception.

I kept it for 14 years. Honestly about all I did on the car is routine maintenance. I had less than 20K on the clock when I traded it in for $14K (the convertible top stopped working which I must have used a thousand times).

So I lost $86K plus the insurance, gas, and routine maintenance for 14 years. Lets say its $110K today. Divided by 14 that's about $8K a year.

A this point I figured out if I bought a new Cadillac every 3 years, I'd have lost much more in depreciation over those 14 years. And it was a Maserati with a wonderful exhaust note and interior. People always loved the way it looked.

Was it worth $8K a year? Absolutely.

Pawilly, Bullfighter and GatorFL like this.
  9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I used to keep a spreadsheet of all my costs, I should find and update it...but not sure I want to...the fact that the car has appreciated a bit since 2016 would probably about break me even if not make me some beer money..

Pawilly likes this.
  10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Hooza Goodboi
    I make a point of not tracking the cost of my hobbies. Do golfers keep track of all their expenses (including shirts and golf tees) for 22 years?

Jdubbya, TTR and GatorFL like this.
  11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #11 Bullfighter, Jun 11, 2024 at 9:59 AM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024 at 10:18 AM
    The value is in the experience. In terms of profit, I had a 308 QV for a year, got it sorted, and sold in a rising market— but the sales commission ate most of the potential profit.

Never been “ratioed”, but if you keep a car long term it’s likely. My 328 was a good car, but timing belt services alone would have equaled a good chunk of the car’s value.

My current 911/964 is very reliable, but the age-related refurbishment costs are steep. If I sold it now, after 3 years of ownership, I’d be in the red. But it’s a keeper, durable and somewhat rare, so in 10 or 20 years it might recoup that “investment”. To your original question, I could do a top end rebuild for less than a third of the purchase price, and there is no depreciation, so I doubt I’d ever get ratioed.

In a non collectible Ferrari, I suspect the service and spares costs would negate any appreciation. The California, for example, seems a bargain until you have the inevitable DCT and folding roof issues… and have to shop for replacement bits from Ferrari, if they still have them. A modern Ferrari or Aston Martin seems likely to get you ratioed. If you care about ROI, a fully restored classic Ferrari or Porsche is a safer route.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mirek, Jdubbya and Pawilly like this.