F8 - having reservations about an F8 I just agreed to buy.... | FerrariChat

F8 having reservations about an F8 I just agreed to buy....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 05F430F1, Feb 17, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I just purchased (money about to be sent and car delivered by next week) a 2021 F8 Tributo.... I'm very excited but I just read the thread about the exhaust etc.... I've never tuned and changed a thing on my Ferraris or other exotics as I've never felt the need and truly believe they were built perfectly already. I don't like to F up perfection.... however, after reading about the exhaust and its obvious issues with warranty, I became concerned and I then listened on YouTube etc to stock exhausts on F8's and AAAARGH, I have to agree with most that it sounds awful. Like annoyingly awful like it just won't 'open up'. At least this is how it sounds in videos. Can anyone give me the REAL scoop here? The car is just amazing in every other way for me but that muffled, bland sound is making me second guess this purchase. Is it really as bad as it sounds in videos? :( Like someone trying to yell with a sock stuck in their mouth is the best I can think of to describe it.

Cigarzman likes this.
  2. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
  3. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    hmmm looks interesting - thank you... wonder if that little change with mess with my factory and CPO extended warranty?

4. F8 sounds perfectly fine.

One shouldn't buy a car based on sound. Nor should one not buy a car because of sound.

Because no matter how good, or bad, the car sounds, 90% of the time when you are actually driving the car the sound will not be a differentiating factor. Unless, of course, you're just being a hoonigan and redlining it from every stop and engine braking every chance you get to save you on brake pad wear.

05F430F1, iMrMark, c8spidey and 8 others like this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 Shorn355, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    I own a 355 and 458- two of the "best sounding" V8 Ferraris ever made- I drove both F8 Tributo and Spider at unveilings- The car is flippin breathtaking and phenomenal- Yes the exhaust is a but muffled compared to 458 and even 488 but the other aspects of the car are so incredible it won't matter.

Just buy and enjoy the car- don't listen to all the ********- if you want it "louder" there are aftermarket options but if your lucky- or have worked hard enough to obtain an amazing F8 than just enjoy it before ****ing with it- Turns out Ferrari is kinda good at making cars- And the F8 is one of their finest.

05F430F1, Gh21631, luvair and 15 others like this.
  6. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    This ^^^

7. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks guys and I agree- I can see and know the car is amazing and can't wait for it to arrive but I was feeling worried that I'd be disappointed in the sound is all... and like I said, I DONT agree with changing anything on a Ferrari as I do believe they are the best and already did everything as good as possible... so I didn't want to have to consider aftermarket stuff. guess I'll just miss that iconic, high tech F1 scream sound that I loved so much.

TR007 and Shorn355 like this.
  8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#8 Viperjoe, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023
    The F8 is so good, it seems it’s from a completely different bloodline. The one problem I have is when I’m out and about in the car I literally can’t stop driving it. Prepare to be blown away by this incredible machine. Oh yea, the exhaust; as most owners will attest, it’s quite acceptable and completely overshadowed by this car’s overall greatness.

Drson, 9650max, rpmtifosi and 4 others like this.
  9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I understand- When I was driving the F8 Spider my sales guy asked if I would trade my 458 Spider for one and I said no- primarily because of the sound and feel- But the F8 is a painfully beautiful Ferrari- It is more refined and less "raw" in various respects so if sound and feel are what you derive pleasure from then you might want to rethink things and go for a 458- But an F8 is iconic IMHO and much like the 458 it marks the end of an era- ie 100% ICE- just like 458 was 100% NA- Personally I would not walk away from an F8 just for sound- But that is a major factor for you than I would suggest a 458 or 430 and save the $$ versus buying an F8 and then ****ing with it to try to make it sound better- Just my .02

05F430F1 likes this.
  10. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I prefer the Pista over the F8

Matt LaMotte, MarkTodd and Thecadster like this.
  11. The perfect answer to a question that was not asked. :D

12. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    The F8 exhaust sounds far better in person than it does through video, that was my experience at least. I have an F12 as well and yes the NA sound is just superior, no doubt about it, but the F8 exhaust note is just fine. As others have said the car is phenomenal to drive. I don’t modify my cars either for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Adam Greenberg

Adam Greenberg Formula Junior
    Miami 2018

May 12, 2018
    Full Name:
    Adam Greenberg
    I have an F8 spider with stock exhaust
    I also have an 812 with capristo exhaust

Obviously , stick the 812 sounds good. With the exhaust it sounds insane

Ask me if that stops me from picking up the keys to the F8……

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JosephRasha and SeattleStew like this.
  14. Ck10022

Ck10022 Karting

Jan 15, 2023
    Manhattan NY USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Kossifos
    I guess what it comes down to is do you buy the car for comfort, looks, sound or raw performance?

I assume you posted what you did because of articles like this one: https://www.hotcars.com/ferrari-458-italia-vs-f8-tributo/

Honestly, you are about to buy one of the highest performing Ferraris ever. If performance is why you buy a Ferrari, don’t look back.

If sound is why you buy a Ferrari, none of the turbo v8s (except for the F40) come close to the 355, F430 and of course, the 458.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    As an owner….the bad (not great, but acceptable exhaust sound), does NOT outweigh the good! Congratulations and enjoy!

05F430F1 likes this.
  16. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Thanks again all- and as I've said, it's not like it will stop me from buying but it was a point of possible disappointment is all... I am not the kind of guy that can 'afford' these cars with ease, I just do it anyway lol... so I wanted ALL the things that I've loved about Ferrari and ONE of them being the beautiful sound. I did have F430's over 12 years and they sounded great. I feel better now thanks to you all... I'll wait as patiently as I can for it to arrive and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

RoadRonin and Viperjoe like this.
  17. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I had a 2011 458 and it screamed, so cool. I have had my F8 since May of 2021. Does it scream like the 458, no. But it does make its own sound that is just fine. It is only less cool when compared side by side with an older NA version. But to most people, they will think the F8 sounds nice. It has more engine sound than any Porsche I have owned and we do not make their sound an issue one way or another. Our Portofino sounds nice also compared to every other similar peer, but the F8 sounds better than the Portofino, but less than a NA Ferrari. I would go ahead with the purchase.

05F430F1 likes this.
  18. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I could not disagree with this more. For a road car I’m the extreme opposite. The sound is the reason I will never sell the 458 and why the 488 is something I would never buy. F8 sounds a little better than 488 but still pretty poor sound. Also, anyone engine braking with these cars to “save brake pads” shouldn’t own one of these cars. Engine braking in these cars is exclusively to hear the glorious sound. I enjoy driving the F8 don’t get me wrong but if had to only keep one I’d keep the 458 all day long due to one thing….the sound.

Ck10022, Matt LaMotte, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  19. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The 488 does not have a GPF, hence it sounds better than an F8, especially with the bypass valves disconnected. That said, the F8 is by every other measure superior to its predecessor.

9650max, NigelPlays and AD211 like this.
  20. Lobekay

Lobekay Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lob Lob
    IMHO, consider annulment of the F8 deal and aim for a Pista (taking into account all that's said on this chat).
    The exhaust note is a major attractant for most Ferrari car owners, part of the 'soul' of the car. If this important to you, it makes little sense to spend more than $350-$450 K only to have such a major regret.
    Pista would encompass all of your desires, not including its relative rarity/exclusivity and its 'aggression while parked and driven'

AD211 likes this.
  21. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I love the looks of the F8, I've never driven one, but I have driven along with several during FCA events. For me, sound is one of the 5 senses that every exotic should have to make it complete. Sound is an important factor for me to enjoy a car. I love the pops and gurgles when downshifting on the 458. Overall, it does not sound as good as my F430 spider did, but the other factors in the 458, like speed and handling, make the 458 superior in my opinion. Thus, I think the other factors of the F8 make it a superior car to the ones before it. For me, the F8 touches 4 of the 5 senses that are important to me in an exotic, but a couple of those "senses" outweigh the sound in the macro picture. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all, but for me, I would modify the exhaust if it were mine, regardless of warranty implications.

VAF84 and 05F430F1 like this.
  22. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    The Pista would be the car for me over the F8, better yet a 458 Speciale. It's certainly going to hold its value better.

23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I was just going to say that. I totally agree.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  24. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +10 on the Speciale- I was going to post that in response to the Pista suggestion but you beat me to it :cool:

Il Tifoso likes this.
  25. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The linearity of this thread is no longer in question.