HB 2186 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HB 2186

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by donv, Feb 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 503motoring

503motoring Karting

Mar 13, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Here is another response that some of our clients have been receiving:

February 17, 2009

Dear D**** S*****,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about House Bill 2186. Your feedback is important to me and helps inform the actions I take in the Legislature.

As you may be aware, HB 2186 is a part of Governor Kulongoski’s effort to raise environmental standards in over state and limit carbon emissions.

The intent of section (3)(1)(d) is to allow the Oregon Environmental Quality Commission to set standards for certain replacement parts that can increase greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles, not to ban parts. The standards would apply to both after-market products as well as original parts to the vehicle. The rules would be designed to prevent a significant increase in greenhouse gas emissions from replacement parts while still ensuring a full range of consumer choice in products. The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) does not expect this to affect a large number of products. The proposal is modeled after similar changes in states like California to improve, not ban, automotive parts.

In their testimony before the House Environment and Water Committee, DEQ made clear their commitment to amend the bill with new language to be written in cooperation with the Northwest Automotive Trades Association, the Automobile Aftermarket Industry Association and others to clarify their intent.

Thanks for writing me. It is an honor representing you in the Oregon House of Representatives and I hope you will continue to write me about issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Dave Hunt
    State Representative
    Speaker of the House
    http://www.state.leg.or.us

Seems a bit different than the response that was sent to 503 HQ!! hmmmmm

2. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That answer tells me a lot. It is a well contrived bit of spin directly from DEQ and the Gov's sustainability guys. What this confirms is that the Speaker and the Guv are joined at the hip, really no surprise here. Next time ask if the Speaker would allow a hearing ( the Speaker must approve all committee meetings) on this bill as written.

OK I promise this is my last political post on this thread!

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Thank you for the post, Wasco! Please keep it up.

It sounds to me more and more likely that this will pass, no?