Header Ceramic Coating | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Header Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex360S, Feb 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Would it be possible to post some pics of the naca duct configuration/installation.

2. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #27 cm2, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sure - I just chose to do some that were not directed, but rather just generally increased flow in the engine compartment... Tried to locate them strategically as much as I could. One could do this 100 different ways. I also figured it couldn't hurt, both logically, and from the ducts that are on the challenge cars - I think I located them in a very similar position compared to the drawings. The question is, does it really have much benefit? I'm sure many would say no. I think this picture is pretty close to what I did, but doesn't show the actual cut and pop rivets.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thank you!

4. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
    Hi CM2.

I'm trying to understand the reason for the NACA ducts. Are you running hot without them?

The ducts likely help only when you are moving at speed. For a street car, this is usually not a thermal design driver. Sitting in traffic on a very hot day, usually is. The NACA ducts likely have little affect under these parked/running conditions.

Bill

5. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I track my car, and it gets hot in the engine bay... In my mind, the cooler the better to try and avoid heat soak on a hot day (which I have experienced), and to lower the risk of part failure (alternator?) due to high sustained heat. I have no proven data here... I added them because it was easy, wouldn't disrupt under car airflow, and would hopefully increase airflow in the engine compartment on cool down laps or making my way to park. Also followed the lead from the challenge underbody...

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Great summary! Takes me back. May I trouble you with a heat x-fer question?

I remember the fluid moving past fins analysis (vaguely - been 30 years). What I can't recall was the equations accounting for velocity of the fluid.

Anyway

Doesn't it help a radiator efficiency if the fluid is moving faster?

Many thanks!

7. bryangreene3

bryangreene3 Rookie

Apr 28, 2019
    New York
    Full Name:
    Bryan Greene
    Sure, some of them are items you may have guessed at or maybe even printed 54 Eyeglass Cases, 67 – Blankets. If a customer brings it in, chances are that there's a heat transfer vinyl 86 – Ceramic Mugs, 99 – Knife Cases. I need to know what kind of vinyl I can use, if htv can be usedon that type material.