Header Questions & Recommendations | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Header Questions & Recommendations

Discussion in '360/430' started by factive, Nov 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014
    Define 'correctly'?

Based on Gh21631's data, the install of headers with the stock tune improves the a/f throughout the power band, with perhaps a slight rich dip at max rpm.

I almost doubt that is truly the stock tune since it mirrors his final tune so closely

Stock tune is a super rich flat line in the stock header pull

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Correctly as in tuned to take advantage of the parts to give you equal to or better performance compared to stock. Just bolting on major exhaust components is expected to have a negative compared to stock impact without ECU adjustments to fuel and timing.

3. Turbotuner20v

Mar 18, 2014
    #128 Turbotuner20v, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Most dynos show more power after headers and exhaust. My car is faster than a stock f430 with my addition of AP headers and sline and stock ecu.

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My car was a lot faster after a header swap, so much so that getting back into a stock F430 - even a later one with Scud valves/cams etc. fitted as standard - feels slow.

5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Now imagine optimizing those new parts. My car feels ridiculous now. It is so much better than stock, way more responsive. Downside is that it will easily break loose if the road is cold all the way to 3rd and I have 325s on the rears.

6. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Maybe it just "sounds" faster, I really find it hard to believe that some headers and a tune will make an F430 "feel slow" in comparison.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's on my list. I've got larger MAF sensors on now and need the right tune for them.
    They really do make a big difference to performance.

8. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Interestingly, Ferrari spends a huge time developing the intakes on the V8 cars. Unfortunately the same can't be said for their V8 manifolds. There's quite a bit to be had by getting a better set of manifolds on the modern V8 cars.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok so my ecu is being sent to eurocharged in texas. BRADAN will dyno before and after

10. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I was thinking of going the EC route too. Have they a file that addresses the A/F issue with the aftermarket headers?

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The problem with sending off your ECU is that they cant make real time adjustments. To maximize my gains they went back to the tuner 3 to 4x with data and they made the changes and sent the sw back.

12. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Good point. I'll have my local EU shop run it on the dyno to confirm the data after the flash.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not bradan's first rodeo. he will get it right

14. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    I'd get EVOMSit tune instead of Eurocharged...I had a very bad experience with Eurocharged tune on my AMG last time.

15. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    EU tuned my AMG also last year. They were quick in addressing the issues I was having and they are local. Convenience sometimes trumps minor attributes.
    Besides, Todd (@ EVOMSit) never returned my calls.

16. Turbotuner20v

Mar 18, 2014
    Mase (now also a f430 owner and forum member) custom tunes many ferraris and other exotics. I would recommend reaching out to him as well

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    OE Tuning has my data which is based off Fabspeed & Sline. Might not be a bad option. My tune was done for 93 octane btw.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Why didn't this car have a dip like Spiros? It has the same headers.

19. MaseEngineering

MaseEngineering Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 15, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Mase

short answer: the car had an x pipe and no cats.

These headers (like others) will change the exhaust pulses coming out of the engine. When you change headers runner lengths, diameters, merge angles, collector type, secondary sectionals, etc etc will change flow and pressure. X pipes, when properly done, can help stabilize the velocity of the exhaust pulses. So many factors come into play. Some setups might make a good bit more power on the top end, but sacrifice down low or midrange, or vice versa. To add X pipes on some setups wont necessarily make more power either, just helped on this particular setup. There is a lot of science/math that comes into play to correctly maximize a full exhaust design, but most companies will just try different packages as they see fit, especially when they are facing cost/size/packaging/reliability constraints.

With all that being said, the agency power/fabspeed are popular because they are relatively affordable and easy to obtain here in the states. There are some things I'm going to test, not necessarily within the exhaust to try to reoptimize the mid range where the dip occurs.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

That car has the exact same setup as mine minus the cats and I initially had that dip - still do a bit so I have hard time believing that removing the cats smooths out the power curve to that extent. However that is the only difference. Otherwise peak power is comparable.

21. bruceeboy

bruceeboy Rookie

Jan 2, 2010
    Hilton Head, SC
    Full Name:
    Bruce Cochran
    Thanks for posting about the SuperSprints. I contacted SuperSprint - Italy yesterday to ask if it was possible purchase their headers with a flange to connect directly to the stock 430 exhaust - answer the collector is oversized and will not connect to the stock 430 exhaust. You must use either their companion cats or straight pipe cat replacements (I also just noticed that this is noted below the product code on their website).

I'm still intrigued by their stepped design, use of retaining springs vs. hard bracket mounts. The euro pricing is competitive at 3,638 (~ $3930 U.S.) w/o VAT, but their stated U.S. pricing if you select that option on their web page is less attractive at $5,107 - maybe they haven't caught up with the latest dollar/euro exchange rates.

I did manage to find a North American Rep for SuperSprint, however their pricing is even less attractive ($6,111) > Supersprint North America : Step Headers . To add more confusion, the NA site has a comment in bold print "Legal only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway. Not applicable or intended for street or highway use." If that is true, I'm not sure why SuperSprint would offer cats and "sport exhausts" for the 430.

...a lot of great information in this forum, particularly useful for a 4th owner 430 spider with 20k on the clock and no history on the stock exhaust..... pretty sure I see a smoke test in my immediate future.