Headlight LED installed. | FerrariChat

Headlight LED installed.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by motts, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I did the conversion with a $80.00 Phillips LED headlamps. It looks so much better then the old halogen bulbs, I have to say there is a drawback further away they definitely don’t emit as much light as the halogens, but since I don’t plan on driving in very dark places late at night I am okay with that. They look very much updated and 21st century, also they run much cooler then 35 watt bulb. And my tech gave me the green light to install them. Here are some pictures.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I have been thinking about a similar conversion on my 456 but I am more concerned about actually increasing night visibility than anything else. Truth be told, the factory low beams are kinda weak - while the high beams really kick butt.

Anyone out there that has gone down that path? I am trying to stay away from a complicated installation - easier is better. What is the best way to get more usable brightness out of the OEM setup without adding stress to the electrical grid?

3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

There are higher wattage halogens out there, however they have dubious provenance and are probably illegal in some states, and they defeat your goal of reducing electrical load. The best way, IMHO, until LED's mature a bit more, is to change out the projectors and lamps to HID's. It's a simple conversion on the 550's and there's definitely more output than OEM, and less electrical load. Only drawback are the ballasts and where to locate them.

4. motts

motts Karting

Sep 1, 2015
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I had the hid conversion in the car when I got it and it was a mess. Kept burning the bulb. And the led is definitely less of a load and run much cooler.

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Hmmm.... I see... looks like adding brightness to the low beams also means adding a fair amount of hardware, and perhaps a level of complication. While I suppose I am technically capable of doing the necessary modifications to add the HID conversion kit, I am not sure it's my cup of tea - I like to keep the car as close to original as possible.

Are there any proven-brand light bulbs of the same wattage out there today that, using twenty-year-later technology, can deliver a better light stream?

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I put in a HID kit and it was great lights the first couple of thousand kms. However they became weaker over time. There is a thread here where the reflector and light unit from a 2000 Audi A4 with xenon would fit right in... might be the best thing in the long run. You can newer get enough lightning and safety at dark.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

wireless likes this.
  7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The problem is that there are no more of the Valeo D2S projectors available which are a perfect fit in the 550 headlight housing .
    When we did the retrofit they were plentiful on eBay. I was lucky to find a set of clear lenses from Europe. It's been six years now with no problems.

motts likes this.