HEADLIGHT ROTATING STALK PROBLEM. | FerrariChat

HEADLIGHT ROTATING STALK PROBLEM.

Discussion in '206/246' started by 246er, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    My headlight rotating stalk has ceased to function so I have no lights. I have removed the black plastic head and can see how the contacts and stalk work the lights. Manually pressing the contacts together switches on the sidelights and if at the same time the stalk is moved downwards the main and dip lights work correctly. So, the problem is with the action of the black plastic rotating head.
    Searching old threads I see mention of a spring and ball within the unit, but no sign of these in mine!
    They also point to a repair part from dinoparts but this is just the contacts section and mine is working fine.
    Would greatly appreciate any help on this. Was working before and I haven't noticed any spring / ball pop out.
    Thanks,
    Chris.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The two contacts should have spring tension in them, causing them to touch each other (causing the lights to be on). The rotating cap spreads the contact apart in the off position and lets them touch in the on position. You can clean up the contact surfaces with very fine emery cloth or sandpaper (1000-2000 grit) and then carefully bend them so that they are touching all the time.
    If you cannot get tension in them so that they touch, then you will need to install the repair kit from Dinoparts.
    There is a hole in the side of the plastic contact holder, this is where the spring and detent ball are supposed to be located. The spring/ball engage in a groove located in the rotating cover, and cause the cover to have a detent in the on/off positions. When they are missing, the cover rotates without having any resistance at the end of the travel locking into the on/off positions.

3. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Thanks Brian, that's very helpful. I am a bit confused though as to why one would bend the contacts so they are touching all the time (except in an emergency situation where you have no lights).
    It looks like the default (lights off) position is with the contacts held apart under their own spring tension and then rotation of the cover brings them into contact to switch on the lights. Or maybe I'm missing something?
    What I'm certainly missing are the ball and spring, which I presume come with part 51-3a from Dinoparts (but are not shown in their picture of the part)?
    My cover and contacts all look good, so I wonder if just a ball and spring would fix the problem, if I can find them anywhere that is!

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    No, it is the opposite. The contact are supposed to touch all the time (with the cover removed). When you install the cover and it is in the off position, there is a plastic tab inside the cover that spreads the contacts apart. When you rotate it to the on position, the tab rotates so that the normal spring tension in the contacts allows them to touch each other. If the tension in the contacts is good, all you need is a spring and ball, which you can probably source from Dinoparts.

5. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Ok Brian, now I understand. I had got the operation the wrong way around. I can see from a youtube video on fixing a '72 light switch how they are together under tension.
    However, my '72 has a different contact arrangement. See attached photo. I wonder if this operates differently? I can see the hole where the spring and ball go. I presume these are just to give the knob a positive action. Fitting the knob and twisting isn't making Image Unavailable, Please Login and breaking my contacts though. I wonder if I have a later / aftermarket switch arrangement?
    Thanks again for you help and advice Brian - it's most appreciated.
    Chris.

6. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Hi again Brian, I have been comparing my switch with the one on dinoparts website. My switch is the same but the copper moving contact is bent completely the wrong way around.
    I have managed to look at an identical switch - see pics below. This confirms the diagnosis. Now I just need to bend the contact strip through 180 degrees without breaking it off! My original spring is still in place so also just need a ball bearing.
    My switch must be different to yours as the contacts are separated at "rest" and brought into contact when the knob is turned into the on position.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Dear Chris, if you require an a/b/c switch, recently rebuilt by Verell.

Never used, please send me a pm.

or call me at 661-645 2287

Regards, Alberto

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    From the picture that's exactly what happened. Key question is why. You can't rule out there being a problem inside the twist knob that caused this.

I hate to discourage you, but it will break when you try to rewrap it. Beryllium bronze just doesn't like to flex more than a couple of times.
    Yes, the 'V-contacts' make contact at rest with the knob off, the 'wrap contacts' only make contact when actuated by the knob.

Unobtainium repairs several of these switches/month, we'll be happy to get you going again. Just click on my name & send me eMAIL.

9. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Hi Alberto, thanks for the offer. I can't seem to pm or email you. Can you kindly email me at [email protected]
    Thanks and regards,
    Chris.

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Chris, wrote you on the email you provided. Did you receive it?

Regards, Alberto

11. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    Hi Alberto, no I haven't received. Have checked my spam and not there either. If you kindly reply with your email address, I'll try firing an email in your direction and see if that works. Still not able to pm either for some reason.
    Thanks,
    Chris.

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  13. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood

Well, I have managed to fix the switch, for the time being anyway. Thanks to Verell's warning about high risk of breaking the contact on re-wrapping, I thought it might help to get some heat into it. Borrowed the wife's hair dryer (top tip: wait until she's out - they get a bit funny about their stuff migrating into the garage..).
    I put as much heat into it as I dared without melting the plastic and managed to wrap the contact strip back 180 degrees into the correct position. 1 x 4mm ball bearing off fleabay and I'm back in business with working lights.
    Not sure how long it will work though, so a spare could be a good idea.

Thanks to all for your input. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful people are on these internet car forums and you Ferrari guys are great at sharing your knowledge.
    Cheers,
    Chris from England.

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Chris, I'm amazed that you got it to wrap back w/o breaking or at least loosing tension.!
    BTW, it takes a much higher temperature than the plastic's melting point to soften/anneal a brass or bronze alloy so you just got lucky!