Headlight Ruined because of bra | FerrariChat

Headlight Ruined because of bra

Discussion in '360/430' started by ginsuguy, Nov 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Does anyone know where to get a lense for a 360 headlight, or anyone who can repair one?
    Removed my old bra. Some adhesive was left on one light. After using 3m remover, the lense is chemically stained. Tried to buff out but no luck...Thanks all

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I would try a bit more aggressive technique before giving up. Use one of those headlight restoration kits from Eastwood that includes various grades of wet/dry sandpaper, then polishes and buffer you attach to your drill motor.

Technically, the bra didn't ruin the headlight...you and the 3M solvent did. ;)

3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ginsu, there is only so much polishing and sanding that our headlights will take before you break through a protective coating. My guess is that this is what has happened. There are professionals out there who will re spray a clear coat over that lense after sanding it further to get back a uniform surface. There is also a kit available through body shop supply houses to do this.
    Call one of these shops or a high quality body shop in your area asking for recommendations. You want someone experienced with this process as its not exactly the same as just spraying a clearcoat over the lense. Done properly, you should not be able to tell the difference between oem and restored.
    Bill
    FL

4. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Thanks everyone

5. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    Ok one more way: Griots Garage is selling a kit with 600 grit wet paper that you use to completely scuff the surface and then a can of clear spray. I have tried about 4 other kits with various grades of paper up to 2400 or 5000(?) grit and hours of effort. The surface always yellows or fogs later. Their stuff worked on my bobcat and a buddy's $500 car going to college. Practice on another car because you need enough that the surface completely wets but no so much that it runs. My 02 CLK is next. Then the sun IR will cures the coating. The headlamps went from opaque to looking brand new! FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat