Headlights/Running lights and parking lights | FerrariChat

Headlights/Running lights and parking lights

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I assessing my wiring situation on the 58 Ellena and have a question as to the operation of the daytime running lights and the parking lights.

When the parking plight switch is turned on - is the headlamp running light (small festoon bulb)go on at the same time as the parking/turnsignal light turns on?

Any thoughts on this and anyone familiar with the wiring - does the wiring go to the festoon bulb first and they onto the parking lamp or is that a different circuit?

Pretty detailed questions - i know, but need to get some thoughts as it is not a simple analysis on my end with my harness :-(

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: If you are speaking about a headlight reflector that has a second small bulb in it, then yes, they light up at the same time as the regular parking lights. The problem is that many (most) of these cars did not have that style headlight reflector, so any cars with the "twin bulb" reflectors had to have an additional "lead' of wiring to the headlight. I do not know how the wires were run, but the wires to the parking lights were the primary wires.

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    OK, yes my headlamps are the tp485 type with the chrome bar and has the 2 bulbs in the headlamp bulb housing.....one the HL and the other is the so called day driving light etc.....

I need to check then if there is a separate wire going to the small bulb and then onto the parking lamp or 2 separate wires coming from the harness....

Thanks for the thoughts.....stay tuned :))

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    A followup question on the second light in the headlamp....is there a point in time where that light would be turned off with the headlamp switch? It seems to me working thru the wiring that once the headlamp is turned on, then the " second light " would be turn off?

Another follow up to this, the parking lights - are then on all the time as well or do they just light when the turn signal is placed on?

Appreciate the thoughts on this - i don't have a running car available to verify the correct positioning/lighting operation....just a bit confusing on the front lights arrangement!!