Headlights won't stop going up and down! | FerrariChat

Headlights won't stop going up and down!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by peterdavid911, Mar 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's quirky time again:)

Just washed the car and as usual I placed large plastic bin liners in the engine bay and also up front on top of the battery and light motors to avoid water getting everywhere.

About half an hour later the lights started going up and down continuously and wouldn't stop until I turned the light switch on. I left it like that then it started again. Whether the lights are in the on or off position they won't stop going up and down to I had to pull the fuse out. It's very comical but frustrating too

Anyone else experienced this before?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Almost every 308/328/Mondial etc owners has experienced this and quite a few have written about it here

It could be the damp (possibly in the motors)

It could be that you need to remove and reseat the relays and fuses

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    I just visualized that comedy bit - - almost pissed myself !! :):):)

Cheers,

Hank

4. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Believe me I was cringing and laughing as I was driving, people were looking thinking that I was flashing my lights at them, so embarrassing:)

The fuse it out now and I will leave it overnight to see if it is indeed water that has got to some part of the wiring and I will remove and replace the relays too.

Whatever next:)

5. Fcarhappy

Fcarhappy Karting

Dec 19, 2012
    We're so new to our 88 3.2 that we haven 't even washed it yet. Bought it through my Ferrari mechanic (one of his other customers wanted to sell) and he washed it thoroughly before delivery --- I asked him "is there a problem getting the engine wet?" --- after all what would happen in the rain??? Not that she'll ever likely see rain. He responded "not a problem" However you guys have actually lived with your cars --- IS IT A PROBLEM??? Do you cover parts before washing???

6. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    The coil modules in particular have little tolerance for moisture. One went shortly after my car including its engine bay was detailed.

7. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi

I have a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet (1988) but didn't have this problem just yet, but I did have a problem in my 348TB.

When trying to find a current leak I removed all relays to see which circuit it was that was causing the execssive current to flow. When I put back the relays I got two wrong (there are two different types, although they all fit in any hole). The result was that one of the headlights would go up and down and up and down and up and down ...

After swapping the two relays that were wrong it was OK again.

Maybe doesn't help in any way but shows that it can happen when relays/wiring is not correct; maybe some mositure can cause one circuit to conduct and start something similar (?)

Regards

Mark

8. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. I have had the car 10 months and has never happened before and I didn't touch the relays that day. But I do agree that water went through the bonnet grill when I washed it and onto the exposed light mechanism. It's such a bad design and also the battery and fuse box are in such an unprotected exposed area to water.

I replaced the fuse today and it's fine now, lights goes up and down as it should and all the bulbs work correctly.

Do you still have your 348? I am really interested in getting one and would be great to find out more about how you compare the 3.2 with it.

9. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Have you tried an exorcism ? :)

10. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi David,

If the lights didn't work after a week of drying out I would have definitely been thinking about that:)

Cheers.

11. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Peter

I would take a test drive in a 348 to get a feel. The Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet that I have is quite different - the 348 is more agile and moderner, but it is nice to have an open car with 4 seats, even if it is more like driving a boat than a sports car (although it does get much better when when the revs get about 4'500 rpm;-).

The 348 is however a nice solid car which doesn't give much trouble and is probably still a great choice for a low budget even if Ferrari purists put it down. It still turns heads and I still like its looks, even after driving it for 17 years.

Not sure whether a 348 is a good investment yet - it will probably take anouther 10 to 15 years before they become attractive, but it shouldn't depreciate much if looked after.

Regards

Mark

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Had this embarrassing problem on driving 456 from dealer to home while in LA rush hour and 400 miles from anywhere: Wife found a faulty relay and case fixed.

"Dad, look at the Ferrari....ewwww"

Sunglasses came in real handy and the off ramp none too soon.

13. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks Mark that great. Is the 348 steering anywhere near as heavy as the Mondial? Prices seam reasonable now and not much different from the Mondial 3.2 prices here in the UK.

Thankfully my lights are ok now, no more comedy shows when I'm driving:)