Headliner fell off in 360 - Need some help | FerrariChat

Headliner fell off in 360 - Need some help

Discussion in '360/430' started by NexLevel, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Hey guys,

Picked up my 01 360 Modena earlier this week and so far things are been great! Can't stop smiling and I've been getting a ton of looks.

One thing I did see right away about my headliner was that there was a bubble and today when driving on the highway with the window down, the headliner came off. Lots of black foam fell off and I just spent around 3-4 hours scraping off all of the foam and removing all the leather pieces that go around the headliner.

I was told there was some kind of board but I see nothing. I see probably 1/16 or 1/8 black tarish kind of material that is just stuck to the roof. It looks like some kind of glue or heat/sound damper for the foam. Trying to remove this is next to impossible. Took me like 10 mins just to scrap some of it off.

Is there any way to simply attach some kind of board on top of it where the headliner or leather would be attached to? There is about 1/2 inch of so of room between the roof and the frame (where the leather pieces attach to. Has anyone maybe created a board that would stick into the space to create a tighter fit? Or scrape enough off around the corners maybe the middle so that you can use maybe one of those industrial velcos?

Help?

George

2. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I tried the DIY methods....go to your local trim shop. They used my OEM leather and replaced the backing for 100 bucks.

drcodina likes this.
  3. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    I have no problem with that but the problem is the backing is just black tar that is impossible to take out. There is no board or backing. Dont know if I can stick a new backing on top of this tar.

4. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    It's like the backing like melted onto the roof lol. I used a flat head screw and tried to find the edge and all I can find is black tar. Maybe the previous owner already took off the board and just glued something else on to the roof...

It's boggling...

5. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Here's some insight on a F430 headliner repair which has basically same interior design in most parts.

6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    The "backing" with the black tar like stuff is glued to the roof. The trim shop that did mine used that as a pattern to make the new headliner and cleaned the roof itself. The trim shop that did mine took care of all the nasty work

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my roof fell on me too, pretty funny to have a piece of cloth over your head while driving . dangerous too.
    solution for me: GLUE. glue them back. in my case, the position i glued is a little off and i can't correct it unless i tear it off because its too strong of a stuff, but nobody's going to notice it anyways.

8. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    LOL....i had to laugh because mine did the same thing and i got covered in the tiny pieces of black foam . Looked like it was snowing ash inside my car while i was driving and had the headliner resting on the top of my head . Luckily , i have a little tint so maybe it wasn't too noticeable by others .

9. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Probably, mine is like that, no insulator board on mine either. That is what I thought, been replaced before and just used thicker foam and no insulation board piece. Have not fixed mine yet.

10. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    The headliner in my f430 also decided to let go driving down the highway, which made for an interesting experience at 70mph while in traffic.

board and all came down with mine, been a week now and have not placed it back in yet, if I can get the double sided tape completely cleaned off the roof that heald it all in place may just leave it out, and save it if i ever do sell the car

11. richdilo

richdilo Rookie

May 3, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Rich DiLorenzo
    George, how did you repairs turn out. I thought your situation was odd, then yesterday I went into the garage and noticed my 360 headliner was hanging. I was looking at old posts and about two weeks ago I just conditioned all the leather and noticed this happened to others. Maybe the constant pressure causes the foam to give way. I see that I can remove the old foam and was wondering if I could attach the leather to the board without any foam cushion.

12. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Best to take it to reputable upholstery shop. While you can do it all yourself, the only glue that the pros use is sold by the gallon, about $60, then you need 1/4-3/8 high density foam, thenmask off complete inside for debris, scrape off all remnants, etc. etc. I need mine done, taking it into local shop this Thursday, $250 using my old leather. Not has cheap as Texas, someone got theirs done for a $100 !

They will NOT need to remove the panels, a real plus, they will do it without removing panels. Mine only had foam, no backer or hard panel like others have said they have. This guy has done a few of these and complete dash reupholstering, said no 360 he has done had a panel, just foam and headliner.

The quote at the shop I just had my major done was $350 to r&r panels, $500 to drive to upholstery shop and back and install my old headliner, so $850 and they drive my car to shop, leave and pick up in the morning, no way man !

13. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Mine fell down also. I fixed it by;
    • removing all the decomposed foam from the roof (consider using plastic sheeting on your seats / carpet while doing so) and leather panel
    • bought a new piece of foam at a local fabric store
    • cut foam to size
    • sprayed the foam with adhesive and stuck the foam to the leather panel
    • let it dry
    • sprayed the foam with adhesive and stuck the other side of the foam to the roof panel while nudging the leather into place.
    The was no "board" in my car.

Cost about $20.00 and 2 hours of my time.

The decomposed foam is a mess!

good luck.

Craig

14. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    I thought I had no board but I did, it was just stuck under this thick layer of tar. After i used a screwdriver to really dig in, I found the bottom of the board and pulled it off. The whole ordeal sucked, took many hours over many days to get all all the foam, headliner and glue removed. Then I went to an upholstery shop and had them do something custom with a new board.

Before putting the board on, I insulated the root with thermal wrap. Take a look at the final results.

[​IMG]

15. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Hey Craig,
    Do you recall what type of foam and the store you got it at ? I ask because I was going to do this myself, like you did, bought the 3M $17 can of adhesive, and then started reading up on headliner repairs. Many people had the headliner fall after a few months/years using the 3M stuff....scared me off to use it.
    Then started looking into high density, heat resistant foam, and the best I could do was about $50 for the foam .....
    So wondering what exactly you used, and how it is holding up ?

16. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It this is the same black gooey stuff that Ferrari uses in other none headliner applications, it is a nightmare to remove. I found that turpentine was useful. You need to use a mask with filter to avoid inhaling the fumes. It took a lot of paper tools to remove this stuff even though I was working on a small application.

17. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    I used the same adhesive you are describing.
    I bought the foam from UFO fabrics in Vista ~ $30.00.
    I have a bit of extra foam, maybe enough to do another panel, if your So. Cal. address is close to Vista.
    2+ years and still holding, but like most cars, it spends 98% of it's "life" in a sunless garage.

Cheers

Craig

craigfen

at

gmail

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Mine also fell on my head when driving! I had my local independent shop (Bradan) fix it, and it was perfect until the day I sold it 4 or 5 years later.
    I call all these quirks Ferrari-isms

19. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Thanks Craig, went ahead and had the shop do the work today, just got back. $250 is bit much, but they did a good job. Took them 1.5 hours total time and they ofcourse use the high density heat resistant foam, and the special adhesive.