Health & fitness apps for smartphones | FerrariChat

Health & fitness apps for smartphones

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SuperJ, Mar 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    What apps are you using to help you reach your fitness goals or keep you on track? I just started using runtastic and am really enjoying it. It uses my GPS to calculate my distance, speed, & elevation changes. It got me thinking what other great apps are people using?

2. sf_hombre

sf_hombre Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2008
    Stimulus Bill
    Full Name:
    Don
    I am using gymbuddy for weight training for iphone/ipad. Full featured, customizable and relatively easy to learn. For running I use a heart monitor "watch" with a chest strap because it gives me heart rate recordation which afaik isn't available for smartphone (I could be wrong on that, tho). I can upload data via usb to a program on my computer which stores and compares historical data and superimposes google maps on the gps recorded route.

3. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I use "Runkeeper" to track my running: time, distance, speed.
    It's a good program.

4. ASFJr

ASFJr Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2004
    SF, CA & NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Faustino
    I use MapMyRun+ on my iPhone 4. It logs hike, bikes, walks, power walks, and jogs. It gives me my heart-rate, calories burned, stride, elevation, miles, speed, and a map of my run. I really like this application. I use a similar application for my Google phone, but I forgot the name of it.

5. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Cool. I will check it out. :)

6. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Same, been using Map My Run with good results. It will call out distance and pace over the music as you go through the miles, which is my favorite feature.

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Been using DIET ORGANIZER for 8 days now & dropped 7 # already

I love it

8. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I just checked it out. I think it looks similar to myfitnesspal which I've been using. I really like the barcode scanner that allows you to scan an item and keep all the nutritional information. I've been surprised by the information and realizing that nearly every day I am not getting the DRA of calcium, iron or potassium.

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My fitness pal to track diet and log workouts.
    Bodybuilding for new lifting ideas and proper technique.
    Nike+ GPS for the rare occasion that I'll go running.

10. ASFJr

ASFJr Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2004
    SF, CA & NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Faustino
    Oh yes -- I forgot to mention the music feature, which is also a feature that I really dig. Also, it gives you voice feedback about your exercise activity status. You can also select to keep your work-out public or private. If you go public or share with MapMyRun Friends, you can compete your work-out time results against each other.

I remember the name of the application I use for my Google/Android mobile phone: My Tracks.

You can also upload your work-out results to Google Docs.

11. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Appsfire Deals and AppsGoneFree are great (free) apps that tell you whenever a paid app goes free. If you're somewhat regular w/ checking these apps (once-a-day), you can more-or-less get quite a variety of useful apps of interest ranging from fitness & training to nutrition & wellness.

12. hendricks33

hendricks33 Rookie

Sep 15, 2012
    GymBuddy is great app, and I used to use it before.. now I'm using Runkeeper since I'm in running business for over 3 weeks LOL
    There are so many great apps...