HealthSouth CEO indicted on 85 counts | FerrariChat

HealthSouth CEO indicted on 85 counts

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Horsefly, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Ex-HealthSouth CEO Richard Scrushy indicted by the Feds on 85 counts
    of fraud, money laundering, etc. According to the news, Scrushy and his cronies reported $2.7 billion in fictious income, of which Scrushy got a piece of the pie, but his piece of the pie was real, not fictious.

According to the Associated Press newspaper report by Jay Reeves, the indictment seeks forfeiture of Scrushy's $278 MILLION dollar piece of the pie, including a 92 foot yacht, a 40 foot racing boat, several homes, diamonds, and a 2003 LAMBORGHINI. The feds are also after Scrushy's 2 airplanes, a Rolls Royce Corniche, more diamonds and paintings by Picasso, etc.

Imagine that; another rich FAT CAT taking the little guys to the cleaners!!! How many rich FAT CATs does this make during the past year alone trying to rob the till of their respective companies? I'm losing track of the number because it's increasing every week. No wonder the economy is so bad. The rich FAT CATs have all the money in their pockets.

Standby to activate asbestos overalls. Installing protective goggles.
    FLAME AWAY!!!

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    These Fat Cats are are no different than hard core criminals.
    Their difference is that they have a brain and a plan. They
    need to be locked up with other hard core common criminals
    for very long periods of time. They cause more damage to our
    society than the person that sticks up a Seven 11 for $80.00.

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    "D*ck" lives around the corner from my parents. He tried to buy respectability with his charitable donations, but he was still considered trailer trash, regardless of how much money he had.

4. Johns

Johns Guest

Nov 2, 2003
    nj/nyc
    Full Name:
    Johnny East
    at least the guy had taste :)

5. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#5 maranelloman, Nov 5, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    "You play? You pay!"

Here endeth the lesson.

DL

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    He walked.

What a load of crap. I hope the SEC nails his ass.

8. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Rich guy walks as usual. Same old song and dance.

And OJ continues to search for the real killers.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am speechless. I know him, I know his friends (fewer now) and I even know people that were with the gov. who were after him and I cannot believe this.

I spoke with a business associate of mine who talked to him this afternoon. He told me he was on his way to Healthsouth as they spoke. What was he going to do? Fire everybody when he got over there?

At least he will now have to take the stand in the civil cases that are stacked up and waiting. No more 5th for him. I can't wait to hear what a good well paid private practice attorney will do to him. No more goverment workers, please.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Judge4re,

You think he will stay with his new church now that the criminal part is over or will he have to stick around on Sundays until those are done too?

(you have to be from around these parts to know what I we are referring to)

11. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Didn't he suddenly get religion and have some kind of TV show after he was caught?

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

yep

13. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    From the articles I read it sounds like the judge was a personal friend of the Scrushy family, refused to recuse herself, and handled the trial and jury instructions with an obvious bias to the defendent. Hard to overcome that even when the facts were apparently so incriminating.

Gary

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The judge was actually "friends" with his daughter thru some horse club, farm, whatever they are called. That didn't make the papers until about 4 weeks after the trial started.

15. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    On a totally seperate statistical note, does this mean I have the distinction for originating a thread that lay dorment the longest amount of time between postings: a year and a half?
    (now watch some dufus go digging in the archives for some nonsensical thread and reactivate it JUST for the purpose of dethrowning the almighty Horsefly during his brief moment of glory.)

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Ah, no.

My parents are not happy that he's part of the community.

17. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    You mean "stole"? Anyways, will this guy be allowed to keep all those assets and money he bought with HS money? This guy is done from a CEO and business position, so he'll unlikely see another income like he earned.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I talked to my mom about this yesterday as she knows one of the investigators on the case. There are 2000 more possible charges that can be brought against RS. This was just the opening shot. This mess isn't over yet.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I did hear that they were considering using some of the ones that they dropped. Seriously, though, don't you think the Feds used the best charges they could first time out? Why wouldn't they? I know the prosecutor's office is basically broke trying this case. They got some settlement from some other HealthSouth deal this past spring. Before that they could barely afford paperclips by that point. I was told this by an attorney working in their office on this RS thing. Apparently even being a Federal office, they don't have a unlimited resource of funds. Big surprise really.
    I treated a patient yesterday that is working out in HealthSouth's 280 office this summer. She actually works in the compliance department. She told me he has NO fans in that building. NONE. They are all in disbelief at the verdict.
    Interesting because I think he still holds the controlling shares. What is he to do now over there?
    Either way I believe the feds pulled out the big guns first time around. Any other criminal charges, I am sure, will be ripped to shreds by his team now.
    Besides, the civil cases should keep him busy for a while...

20. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Any update on this case?

I've heard talk of a civil suit being filed already, but wasn't sure.