Heater Blower Motor | FerrariChat

Heater Blower Motor

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by porphy, Jan 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Does anyone know if the heater/blower system in the Mondial T is a Behr unit or a Sofica unit?

2. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Maybe I need to explain a bit more. I found these fan motors from searching on a 1988 BMW 5 series on autohausAZ.com. They look very similar to our "T" fan motors. Your Parts Search Returned 2 Part(s)

However there are two types that were used on the BMW that seem somewhat the same. Anybody know which one is used in the "T"? I know its a long shot but I'm really fishing here.

3. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #3 Burch1, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Randall,
    When I searched through the T parts manual this is the only "blower" I could find...
    It's #45 on the parts manual drawing below.
    Have you physically seen the one inside your T?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Greg I think this is only the sniffer for air temperature not the blower for the interior. It must be in the A/C unit.

5. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #5 porphy, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Exactly, Claude, this heater blower motor is inside the A/C unit and as far as I can tell there are few or no pics. There is no part number for this part even though you can buy the whole A/C unit for about 3K. I remember an old thread that I cannot find indicating that the heater blower from a 1988 BMW 535 was a perfect fit. I did find the motors on the autohausAZ.com (see above) that look very much like the Mondial T motor but it seems that there are two of them and short of buying both I thought I would fish a bit with the Mondial brotherhood. Greg, it is the blower behind forcing air out of number 33 in your diagram.

6. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    And of course no picture or part number behind #33.
    If you manage to confirm which 535 unit fits please let me know as I believe mine is shot.
    Many thanks,
    Greg

7. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Well, as soon as this extremely cold weather is over, I will continue to remove my blower motor. It may be the second most painful job on the Mondial, second only to the back windows replacement. Dash has to come out. Pain! I will post what I find as well as pics of the dash removal.

8. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Did the rear window motor job last year and it took every bit of half a day.
    Hope the dash/blower job is easier...
    Cheers,
    Greg

9. GuusB

GuusB Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Porphy, i just did the job and took the a/c unit out. I replaced the power transistor of the fan motor. Quite a niche but big job. Can you tell me why you want to get the unit out?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N9005 met Tapatalk

10. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    GuusB, my heater/blower fan screeched to a halt during a road trip last summer. It was making bearing noise for about 1 year before it quit. What model Mondial do you have?

11. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    GuusB, were you able to determine what brand of heater/AC unit you have, either Behr or Sofica?

12. GuusB

GuusB Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Porphy none of them i guess. On the unit itself there is Veglia Borletti. You can not take the unit apart normally. It's sealed and glued together. I dit not have to do so at least. In my case the power transistor was broken and i replaced that one. I own a Mondial T by the way. Wil leave some pictures.

13. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Very interesting GuusB. It may be all my info is false. I am not in there yet but I will need to open it to replace the blower motor.

14. GuusB

GuusB Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Porphy, i don't think you have a choice. A new unit or a used one or dismantling the whole unit. I would do the last! You can probably do the job with two cheap bearings. Don't be afraid, just do it! I had my unit out for two weeks. But there was no need for me to dismantle it further. I can get you tips if you want to.

15. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I need to replace my power transistor also but I really don't know where it is. I am sure I'll find it once I'm in there.

16. GuusB

GuusB Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    If you look at my second picture you'll see the two rivets. The transistor is mounted there. You have to drill the rivets out.

17. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Thanks much GuusB. I understand.

18. bigeasy

bigeasy Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2012
    did you ever post pics of your dash removal procedures? looks like it will be better to attack the EV by removing the dash, cant see all the pop rivets on the condensation tray when it is in place, do you have any pics of the bottom of the evap unit so that I can get an idea where all the pop rivets are for the tray removal? to much sealer and tar tape covering up the unit to get an idea if an in place removal is possible.

Thanks!

19. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #20 deeprivergarage, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    This is just a comment and not a definitive answer. Also, this is in reference to a Mondial QV.

The BMW motor and fan wheels will fit in the a/c box. The BMW motor even has the same wire colors, although the terminals may not be the same.

The BMW motor is larger in diameter and the fan wheels are also larger, but will fit in the box with very minor modification of the box for the larger diameter motor.

The problem: the bracket that holds the Ferrari motor in place will not work with the BMW motor because of the larger BMW motor diameter.

The bracket is basically a formed flat steel strap that goes over the motor and attaches to the box with a screw. A new bracket would need to be made, same design, just larger diameter. I think it would work.

I bought a Mondial QV a/c box and a BMW motor just to see how it would fit. I thought it looked like a good fit, but never actually made the modification.

I also bought 355 or 360 evaporator coil to try to increase the Mondial a/c capacity. The evaporator coil in a Mondial box was a definite no go. Coil was just to large for the box.

CAUTION: I did not actually make the motor conversion. I just had the parts and it looked do-able.

I think with a larger motor and two larger fan wheels the air volume would be increased. I do not know what the max RPM was for either motor.

I hope someone actually does this conversion and has positive results for the Mondial a/c.

The Mondial evaporator and condenser coils are actually very small for the capacity required to cool the Mondial interior when it is over 90 degrees outside. That coupled with a small blower motor and fan wheels, the a/c system is short on capacity and blower air volume.

Unfortunately, increasing the air volume may not be enough to overcome the small a/c coils and overall system cooling capacity.

More interior air volume will decrease the temperature drop across the evaporator coil.

Meaning with more air volume, the temperature of the air coming out of the a/c vents will be higher. Not really what you want, either. In other words you are trying to cool more air with the same amount of a/c capacity from the compressor and coils.

Good luck,

deeprivergarage
    Jerry Webber

20. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    #21 porphy, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have not posted the dash removal. It may be possible to get to the expansion valve without removing the dash. Look carefully at the right hand side of the black box and see if you can see the expansion valve. You will need to remove all of the gunky insulation around it and you can remove the tube coming from the filter-drier. If you have the knee pads still on your dash it would be advisable to remove them for better access. It may be too tight but I suggest you you take a look. Maybe with some stubby wrenches you can get in there. If you can it will save you the headache of removing the dash and its accessories.

Here are two pics of the holes in the condensation tray.

The ventilator motor for the "T" is available from Rockauto for about $70. It is a Bosch motor 0130063015. Perfect fit. I expect the motor to fit other Mondials but I have no direct info.

Good luck.

Randy

21. John M. Worthington

Oct 16, 2018
    Tucson, AZ - Barbours, PA - Grass Lake, MI
    Full Name:
    John M. Worthington
    I need to replace the blower motor in my Mondial QV. Does anyone know if the Bosch part that Porphy references (I.e., 0130063015) as a direct fit for a Mondial T will also fit my application?

22. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
  23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I speculate that the 013 and the 015 motors are different versions of the same motor and therefore I think either one would fir the QV. Anyone have better info on the difference?

24. John M. Worthington

Oct 16, 2018
    Tucson, AZ - Barbours, PA - Grass Lake, MI
    Full Name:
    John M. Worthington
    Incredibly helpful! Thanks so much.