heater fan control knob problem / mondial | Page 2 | FerrariChat

heater fan control knob problem / mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by oliv928, Feb 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The fuse mentioned in this thread is related to a MondialQV not a t. This fuse seems to have been included on the F models in the mid-80s, but was eliminated from the system by the late-80's. My guess would be that there is no such fuse present on a Mondial t (but I haven't checked the user-unfriendly copy of the on-line Mondial t schematic).

2. jimmi

jimmi Rookie

Jul 13, 2015
    Hi guys,

so i worked out that fuse was in the speed switch itself. i tested it and its fine.

ill give you quick run down what has happed.

I got new transistor changed it and the system started to work correctly.
    but the "A/C ON" switch was a bit dicky and would not work every time.
    i would have to turn the a/c on/off a few times then the low fan speeds would work.

i had a spare switch assembly so i swaped them to see if would improve the switching.
    but that spare didnt even work the low speed.

im guessing ive caused a wiring connection problem when swapping the switches.

so ive go the original a/c switch assy in now and im back to my original problem with only high speed.

is there anything else i can check apart from the transistor/poteniometer and the A/C switch assy.

Cheers for listening to me rant on but any info is greatly appreciated.

Jimmi

ps. is there a wiring diagram that has the complete a/c system on here for the mondial T 89"

3. trachlaw

trachlaw Rookie

Oct 2, 2015
    I have a 1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. I need the heater/ac switch (rheostat?) that fits in the console. Of course I also need the right rear window regulator, but that is another story. Anyone offer some help?

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have the heater/ac switch, PM me for more info. Not the rear window regulator.

5. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Hi Charles - could you please tell me whether the following NPN power transistor is suitable for replacing the original one? I am in there and would like to replace the orignal one. Thanks for your reply! Urs

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #31 mulo rampante, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Yes, the BUX10 should be a suitable replacement. It mostly exceeds the 2N3055 in voltage and current rating, and the pin-out is the same. The current gain is also similar. Max base current rating is a little less, but this is of no concern in this application. I would anticipate no problems, and it should be more durable.

Just two caveats:

1. Obtain it from a known source, such as an authorised distributor. Fake power transistors abound in the retail market, as unimaginable as that might seem. For example, Ebay would be a risky place to obtain one.

2. STMicro now lists it as obsolete, not sure of other manufacturers.

Edit: Just noticed you're in HK. 20 years ago I would visit the shops in Apliu St (Sham Shui Po). Some of the shops selling electronic components there were pretty good, but buyer beware!

7. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Charles thank you very much. I bought it from RS (https://hken.rs-online.com) a while ago, which is a reputable (UK) distributor with a local office. Funny you went to Apliu St too! Did you live in HK? My shop, and my car, is full of material sourced there. Mongkok still has good hardware stores as well, if you can find what you need among the huge offer...

8. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Ah, you won't go wrong with parts sourced from RS.

I worked in Hong Kong for a couple of years. This was around the time of the handover. Yes, Mongkok was a popular shopping destination for me as well.

I never advanced very far in my understanding of Cantonese, other than being able to imitate the announcements on the MTR, much to the amusement of my friends and co-workers!

Just thinking about this... it's bringing back memories. I can remember my routine of going to Sogo's food hall around closing time and getting half-price sushi takeaway. Wonderful time (as my life revolves around food).

9. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    HK has changed much since the handover... and much faster than anticipated.
    It's rather unpleasant when a free Western-style society slides into a dictatorship.

10. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I have a spare original one should you ever need it.

11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Stefan, good to know!