Heating / ventilation controls | FerrariChat

Heating / ventilation controls

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 Bluebottle, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    The sliders on my car look like this (red dot on centre slider is there, but only just - very faded):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    As far as I can see from the manual, they should look like this:

i.e. two identical distribution sliders either side of the central temperature slider.

But I am not alone. I have seen various other Dinos with a similar arrangement to mine:

Or a mirror image, i.e. with the "odd" one on the left and the correctly maked distribution slider on the right.

Can anyone explain this anomaly for me? If it were only my car, then I would understand that somebody just fitted the wrong slider, but the fact that I have seen this in several others makes me wonder whether there is some other explanation.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Like this one:

3. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    I suggest you refer the Dino Compendium. My Dino has Air Conditioning so that will make a difference as will the date of manufacture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You can get new labels from Verell at unobtainiumsupply.com

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I think your photo's show two of my cars John - 03050 with the Sharp radio and 03342 with the radio blanking plate. Both of these early E series cars had the same slider controls as your car i.e. one on the left with DEF and one on the right with the 0 at the top and the arrow at the bottom. I had to change the slider on the right in 03342 during the restoration as the original had been damaged and as we (wrongly) thought it was incorrect at the time I found one with the DEF markings and installed it. These controls were carry overs from the M series model. It turns out the adoption of the second DEF marked version came later in production. My car 04054 has the matching DEF versions of the sliders which are original to it and it was a May 72 build. I suspect your car may have had a change of slider at some point as it was a July '73 build. I think this issue was discussed a few years back but Matthias may be able to confirm things.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    This may or may not be related, but 365 GTB/4, a.k.a. Daytona, features same heater valve control (with red & blue dots), 2 in fact (one for each side, driver & passenger).
    In most "Daytonas" I've seen or worked on, these are or have been, not only mounted upside down, but also work opposite to how they should and this gets only more complicated when the original valve assemblies get replaced with (modern) aftermarket valve assemblies readily available from many suppliers.
    These "aftermarket" valves are actually made not only with different casting features (some which need to be cut/modified to make them fit, at least in case of "Daytona"), but their housings are assembled to incorrectly "clocked" position (at least for "Daytona") and their internal components are manufactured to work backwards/opposite of original valves (at least on "Daytona").

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    The Compendium doesn't actually clarify what is correct for which series...at least I couldn't it in there.

8. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for that, Iain: very interesting and clears up that little mystery.

The one with the Sharp radio is indeed your green car, but the one with the blanking plate was in fact this one:

9. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Thought it looked familiar John. That was Gareth's car 04518 (July '72 build) and he had his dash recovered and the radio blanking plate made for it by Stallion after seeing my car 03342 in Carrs workshop.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    1972 Dino 05082, an Italian version, have the three in your first image
    while 1973 05702, a USA version, has those shown in your second image, I believe both are original as delivered

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #11 isuk, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    That's interesting about 05082 Scott. I have a number of photo's of UK cars and all the ones I've checked where the slider controls are visible in the photo's, starting from 03672, have the version in John's second photo. Both 05070 and 05150 which were built either side of 05082 have the second version of slider controls.

synchro likes this.
  12. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I do agree, I have never seen any period picture with "version picture one"
    I doubt that was ever original in the cars...

synchro likes this.
  13. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
  14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I've seen it in a number of UK cars Matthias. My own cars 03050 and 03342 had the same slider controls as those in John's first picture. The ex Rob Walker car - 02524 - also had them when I saw it 3 years ago. I have photo's of a few other UK cars with them -

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would have said . . .

It is very odd that this apparently incorrect arrangement seems to occur relatively frequently - evidently not just a one-off. I wonder whether any of those apparently incorrect sliders actually signify a different function of the equipment they control? As far as I have noticed, both the outer sliders on my car work the same way. Maybe it's time to investigate further.

16. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    In the blue cover owners manual that came with the M series and early E series cars the lever on the left is decribed as the "Control lever", the middle lever "Activating lever for hot water tap", and the lever on the right as "Lever controlling air control valve". In the red cover owners manual for the later E series car the left hand lever is described as "Fresh air intake control", the middle lever "Heater temperature control", and the lever on the right as "Heater air control".

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very interesting… I will look into this further over the next weeks….

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #18 synchro, Nov 29, 2018
    EDIT: SECOND STYLE, Verrel had sent me the first style which was incorrect

To be more clear, here is the dash of 05082 as I bought it in 2005, thought to be original

Attached Files:

19. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    just found this two period pictures…
    must be a UK/RHD thing...

Attached Files:

synchro likes this.
  20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #20 GermanDino, Nov 29, 2018
    I found a few more pictures with the odd lever markings….
    seems to be an early E-series / late M-series thing….
    this picture is from #02466, untouched car…, Italian delivery, LHD
    I can confirm all interior pictures I have from very early E-series have this set up, most LHD Italian delivery….

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The switch over in lever markings must have happened some time between 03342 (February '72) and 03672 (March '72) production.

22. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Your second photo (which I presume is 01148, outside knobs without tags) matches my 01712 (LHD Italian delivery)

23. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #02750 is the same

24. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars

I think you are on to something there, John.
    I decided to look into it, and sure enough, it does signify a difference in the operation of the systems.
    And equally certain is that many cars appear to have the wrong labels, or have the left and right labels interchanged. That included my own, I just discovered! Will of course be corrected now.

Here is what I found.
    In the L- and M-series (and perhaps early E-series?), there is no way to direct the air up or down independently on the left and right side. They had only one heater box on the right side, and only one deflector valve common to both driver and passenger side. To have the two defrost signs on those cars would be wrong and misleading.

On the M-series, the left lever controls the fresh air intake only. That should be the label showing 0 on top and an arrow or blank on the bottom.

The right lever directs the air towards the windshield (in down position) or the floor (in the up position). That should be the Defrost label.

The middle lever has the same function in all models, it just controls the temperature of the air by opening or closing the heater valve.

So, based on the design of the system, the correct positioning of the labels in earlier cars should be as you show in your post #2, and in the #02466 shown by Matthias, for example.

L-series.

M-series

In the E-series a second heater box was added on the left side, along with a deflector valve similar to the one on the right side. The air flow could now be controlled independently on the right and the left side. Here the two defrost labels are correct.

An interesting side effect of the M series system which I had not thought about:
    The toggle switch for the fan on the right side will bring in either cold or warm air, depending on the heating lever position.
    The toggle switch on the left side will bring in only cold air, regardless of the position of the heating control lever. Neat in a way, if you know about it. The owner's manual certainly did not explain much about that.
    The later version, as in your car, is a bit more logical, I suppose.

dgt likes this.
  25. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    correct... but at least 80% of the M-series had this label set up original...

HMB-Dino and synchro like this.