Heel/Achilles Tendon | FerrariChat

Heel/Achilles Tendon

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Ike, Apr 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    #1 Ike, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I screwed up something in my heel playing tennis.

The place it hurts feels hard like bone but looks like it could be the achilles tendon. The tendon is really tight now.

Any of you know if there is really anything to do for that area besides rest and stretching?

I think all this happened b/c I switched shoes. It sucks having wide feet, I can never find any I'm happy with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    There's a type of fracture that leads to your symptoms--it's called an avulsuion. It's when the bone the achilles tendon is attached to ends up cracking. Get it checked out. Usually there's no cast, just a foot brace, if this is indeed your injury.

Unless it's serious enough to warrant surgery, rest is usually the best treatment for foot problems.

Buy the $400 foot massager from Brookstone. Spend half an hour getting your feet massaged every day. Go even longer, and multiple times, if necessary. It will really help with recovery as it stimulates the blood flow and gives your muscles a good workout, and it makes you feel fantastic too.

And no tennis for at least 8-12 weeks, and get back into it slowly after that.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    JUST finished a round of MRI and Xray for the EXACT SAME THING. Like YESTERDAY.
    Hope to hear back from the doc on Monday - hurts like HELL, doesn't it. :(:(

Jedi

4. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Yeah, it is pretty bad. Hurts to put weight on it. If I walk a lot the sharp pain stays but the achilles tightness is better. At rest the tendon tightens up again.

If it doesn't get better during the week I'll get it checked. I think it is better than yesterday so I think it will get better with rest.

I have wanted to look at those massagers again. I remember trying something out a while back that felt great on my feet but squeezed my calf muscled really tightly, I didn't like that part.

I roll my feet on tennis balls and cold coke cans. I have another issue with tightness on the bottom of my right foot. I find that if I wear barefoot shoes it allows this to stretch more as I walk and it feels better than if I wear normal shoes.

5. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I passed a small kidney stone last week. This is worse with the pain coming with every step.

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Sounds like it's not going to get better by itself. Stay off that foot and get it checked out. Do you have crutches lying around? If so, use them and keep the weight off the foot.

The tennis ball and coke can rolling are good antidotes for plantar fasciitis. You seem to have some variant of that. It's a mixed bag, take care of it and give it time, hopefully it will get better. I had it for two years before it resolved. It's not fun.

Right now, though, your heel seems to be the bigger problem. Get it seen, and until you do, stress it as little as possible.

7. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm trying my best to stay off of it. Of course I gave my crutches to goodwill about three weeks ago lol.

Thanks for your help.