Heidi and Franny's Garage | FerrariChat

Heidi and Franny's Garage

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by peterp, Feb 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    If you do any DIY on Porsche's, the videos from Heidi and Franny's garage are great. Every time I've looked up a how to video, their videos are the best by a wide margin. They cover every step and provide a lot of important background information as they do the work, even for tasks as mundane as an oil change.

Here are a couple of examples:

Changing the front trunk hood struts on a 996/996 Turbo:

DIY In-Dash Garage Door Opener for 996/996 Turbo:

Modulo_B, pearsonhaus and FrannyB like this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, very interesting videos...I enjoyed their 308 video.

FrannyB likes this.
  3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I also enjoyed the 308 video -- the part where she talked about challenge of steel plug versus aluminum case, and compared thread depth between the old and new plug, and choosing to retain the old plug because of better threads. Then she went on to discuss what to do if it looks like it is stripping, including tapping it larger to fit the slightly larger plug that is used on a 328 -- it's amazing and specific detail, but still very concise. These are the best "how to" videos I've seen by far.

I changed my 996 hood struts -- a 5 minute job when you understand exactly how to do it -- and I looked at several videos and all of them either skipped over or glossed over the most critical part of removing the clip. She shows exactly how to remove the clip on both sides and also was the only one to suggest cleaning and greasing the boll joint.

Modulo_B and FrannyB like this.
  4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Heidi and Franny are locals and are every bit as great in person as their videos are. It's nice to see that they're getting some recognition.

thorn, FrannyB and peterp like this.
  5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How timely. I will be changing the hood struts on my 996 this week lol.

FrannyB likes this.
  6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It literally takes 5 minutes, just be sure to support the hood (Heidi's method was to strap the 996 hood latch to the exhaust of a 356 she had on a rack above the 996 -- pretty funny -- other methods will work if you don't have 356 and rack handy :)).

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If only I could use that as an excuse for my wife to buy one. "Honey, I need to buy a 356 so I can fix the 996"

peterp likes this.
  8. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Tell her you don't want to risk damaging a perfectly good broom handle :)

Devilsolsi likes this.
  9. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    I don't know who you are, but thanks for the compliment. We appreciate it. Franny.

10. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    It was actually Franny who did that, not Heidi, but that's okay. :) She is silly, that one.... It was easier than using a broom, plus, you remembered and hopefully thought it was funny. Franny.

camchain likes this.
  11. Iceman md

Iceman md Rookie

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Hi Franny and Heidi
    I’m in Australia and I have to say that I’m very impressed and fascinated of all your knowledge and passion. I have an 82 308 Qv Would you know where I could find the arrow sticker on the strut bonnet holder.? You mentioned it on one of your vids. Thanx and Love to both, keep up the good work.We all love you Downunder. Ciao Bella.!

12. Iceman md

Iceman md Rookie

Jul 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Walter

Attached Files:

13. rmgaiss

rmgaiss Rookie

Feb 15, 2005
    Lake City, FL
    I've been following Heidi & Franny for some time. I have both a 911 and 1 308, and their technical content is excellent. I'll be in Denver in August, and if they are available, will take them to lunch to thank them for the $$$ they've saved me!