458 - HEL Stainless Brake Lines | FerrariChat

458 HEL Stainless Brake Lines

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hgoodwiniii, Mar 23, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all, I ordered a set up HEL brake lines or my 458 Italia back in Jan. I went to install them yesterday and noticed they are all about 1.5" longer than the rubber lines currently on my car. I'm assuming the ones on the car are the original OE lines.

I'm trying to figure out if I got the correct HEL lines sent to me. Anyone else using the HEL stainless lines run into this? If so, any problem with having to route the longer lines?

Thanks.

2. KnifeEdge2k1

KnifeEdge2k1 Karting

Jun 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic Leung
    An extra inch doesn't seem like much to be concerned about, better too long than too short, could also be that stainless lines are a bit more stiff so you need a bit more slack to go through the full range of suspension/steering motions

3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Just an update- The actual HEL brake lines were 3 - 3.5 inches longer than the OEM lines. They measured right at 17" long. The OEMs are about 13.5. I spoke to HEL and they were great to work. They apologized, refunded my money and paid the shipping to get the lines back to them in Europe.

4. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I just received my HEL lines and they are also 17 inches. HEL says they received this length spec from another 458 owner that pulled the lines and sent pictures of the measurements. Any chance there are different lengths out there across 458s? I really don’t want to pull the brake lines just to wait for replacements and get more air in the system than necessary. I will try to measure in place this weekend but thought I would ask those with more experience.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Mine just went into the Ferrari dealer (Miller Motorcars) with new HEL lines to be installed. Nothing from them yet on being too long, will let you know.

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Are HEL the preferred stainless lines? Are there any good alternatives? I am quite satisfied with the StopTech lines in my 360 but they don’t seem to make them for 458s.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    $1,554 installed at Miller Motorcars. No problems with the length that came standard from HEL (which was longer than 13" as described in this thread).

8. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I just popped the wheels off to verify and the lines HEL sent are indeed at least 3" too long. But it appears that on the rear wheel the fitting that connects to the caliper might be a male fitting (HEL sent both ends with female fittings).

Does anyone have any experience with this? HEL said they would replace but I want to make sure the fittings are correct too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login