Hello, Tipo 116/133 Friends | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Hello, Tipo 116/133 Friends

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulchua, Apr 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I feel for you owners who do not get to drive your V12 twelve months of the year.

F456M and paulchua like this.
  2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the empathy. I do look in on her regularly as she dens up and hibernates through the New Hampshire winter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Excellent, enjoy the spring and summer!

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    That looks beautiful, Paul - congratulations!

paulchua likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks John! Really appreciate the kind words. It's going through all the sorting I expected. Full 30K major, replacing bombs. No sign of valve guide issues, windows work great. Did find a radiator leak (getting that fixed) and a cracked undershell under the radiator. All in all - pretty decent shape. (so far) ;)

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds good, Paul. I hope you don't find any other issues and get to drive it soon.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Add 2 more things to the list, cracked front undertray (replaced for $300) back shelf upholstery is shot, getting quotes to replace..coming together.

8. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Paul, please let me know what the back shelf re-leather costs and who is doing it for you. One of my issues....along with headliner. Sigh...

paulchua likes this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    okay, latest update is - radiator fixed (with coolant flush), had fan problems (not turning on right times) - traced to fuse box (fixed), had bombs replaced, had brakes pads replaces, had transmission fluid replaced, timing belt, gaskets, new ignition wires, replaced hood struts, air filters, oil changed, spark plugs, adjusted valves.

-No smoke or ticking sound (assume valve guides are okay)
    -Motor mounts seem good (will change though when i get a chance - upgrade to 575 I believe?)
    -Springs/shocks seem okay

Still to solve problems
    -slight gap driver side window (looking at regulator threads) - missed this initially.
    -driver seat only movies inch forward/backward (any ideas?)
    -Rear leather shelf shrinkage...

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    done for $300 at a upholstery shop - ezpz

:)

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Cool! Thanks. Did they recover it or re-stretch the existing leather?

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I think they just re-stretched, but I will double check!

Cheers

13. Prit Singh

Prit Singh Karting

May 29, 2017
    London
    WOW congratulations lovely car and colour combination.

paulchua likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Very kind of you, best wishes.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #65 paulchua, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Just wanted to give a quick update. I'm working on a comprehensive Mondial t vs 456 vs QP 5 report.

But here are some differences

1) Mondial t is very much what I would call the Late Enzo Era. I like this. You're more connected to the road the experience is more 'raw'.
    2) 456 is definitely a tourer with a sporty side, were the Mondial t is a sports car with a touring side.
    3) The 456 is much heavier and you really feel it vs the Mondial
    4) The engine on the 456 feels very unstressed whereas the Mondial is more highly strung.
    5) More rear room in the back of the 456 for folks (the main reason I got it, and adequate for my needs!) but still pretty small. Still okay since they fit my kids fine, and much better than the Mondial.
    6) Engine note on the V12 is a Baritone, the t is a Tenor
    7) Both handle very well, don't know which is better yet
    8) Steering on the Mondial is a bit superior in my view, though the 456 is easier to manipulate
    9) Brakes are about the same, need to test more
    10) Attention - get positive with both

I'll give more updates, but I can say not one car is 'better' than the other - just different and I think the car that suits me is the one depending on my mood.

Cheers

Il Tifoso likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Also, forgot to address the proverbial GTA vs GT?

I think I would have liked the 6-speed more. Now, would I like it 2X+ (cost difference of a 6speed 456M ) more? For me, that's an unambiguous NO. Put it another way, would I rather have one 456M GT or TWO 456M GTAs? Same price? No brainer.

Now, I didn't buy this car as an investment, but I may come to regret this in the future (or not*.)

The auto box is smooth and has been said many times, very well suited to the car, and its personality. It comes down to usage. I have a gated manual when that itch comes along, so having the automatic is fine.

I'll talk more about it when I finish my full report!

Cheers

*Only 15% of Americans know how to drive stick today, I believe in 20 years time (probably when values have the potential to go up), that number will probably be cut in half at least.

Laserguru likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Figured I would ask the 456 braintrust. So far the car has been running smooth, no white smoke ever in the exhuast, good engine mounts, bombs replaced, lights work, windows are fine. I think I did okay.

The first gremlin is the fuel tank dances from empty to full, sounds like it's the sending unit. Gonna play around with that.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    -slight gap driver side window (looking at regulator threads) - missed this initially. Fixed, took the panel off, did some adjustments - works perfectly
    -driver seat only movies inch forward/backward (any ideas?). fixed - still looking for front switches (is that a lumbar support?0
    -Rear leather shelf shrinkage....(fixed for $300) - upholstery shop looked like the stretched it, looks brand new

Fog Lamps not turning on (all other lights work great, including interior)
    Interior stickies
    O2 sensors seem gremliney - would get 02 sensor fault code once in a while. Going to swap that out next.
    Fuel gauge goes from empty/full - I believe fuel sender unit, will swap out.

So far the car has been a fantastic everyday Ferrari. Very pleased.

Exhaust is very quiet and peaceful, may upgrade in the future.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Latest update:

Fixed a lot of stickies with elbow grease. One O2 Sensor still needs sorting - yet have not swapped out Fog Lamps or changed the Fuel sender unit. Need to fix middle console gear selector light. Installed a Tubi exhaust.

So far, the car has been very reliable and trouble-free (besides the few minor things above). Loving it.

Very civilized car; I understand now why so many folks felt it was almost too 'posh' and smooth. It's the perfect GT, and I love just looking at the thing. But in terms of driving excitement, it's just not that kind of car. An ideal complement to my Mondial, which is leagues more sporty and fun.

Compared to other Ferrari, I've tasted (430, Cali T, 812, 488 Pista) - the tamest (even more than a Cali). I would say even my QP5 is more sporty. I would say the strongest suit is high-speed stability. Triple digits all day long- you feel like you're sitting at home in your favorite lazy-boy—no sense of going 140+—kind of scary, eerie. - extraordinary in some European thoroughfares, unfortunately too dangerous on most American roads with us having zero left lane education (nor the laws to permit it.)

I plan to keep her as long as I can, so by no means am I pooh-poohing the car - just that it's not the most exhilarating Ferrari experiences, IMHO. It does look fantastic, though - and the perfect vehicle to bring my family to the local Michelin starred restaurants.

20. kingwrench

kingwrench Rookie

Feb 25, 2009
    Osage Beach Missouri
    Full Name:
    Lance Hedrick
    Paul I am glad to see you enjoying your 456!

paulchua likes this.
  21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Paul- You need to convince Fabio to do headers for her. That will wake her up.

paulchua likes this.
  22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I thrash my Cayman. I flog my Formula Continental. I cruise my 456M. They just are the most elegant and they pull, and pull, and pull.

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You are very correct. It's been a complete joy. It's like being on a Japanese Bullet train. It's also so soooo beautiful.

My fear outruns the engine every time. Does one need to cruise on the freeway at high speed in comfort? This car will meet that need with the biggest bang for the buck. Sure, there are plenty of other more expensive or less exclusive vehicles that are faster. Still, after a certain point, it's just bragging rights (and Ferrari equity bolsters the inherent braggadocio for 90% of the road ironically.)

Or you live in Germany.

:)

As Hammond said in his review of the 456, I'll take the Ferrari sir, hrm hrm - thank you very much.

24. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    If you go in on Fabio’s headers I am in on the 456 group buy :)
    They really are remarkable and Fabio is such a gentleman.

paulchua likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thank you kind sirs for the nice words. It’s an amazing car, and for the price, I just can’t see a better value out right now.

Don’t get me wrong about the performance, this car will get you in trouble with the law very quickly, I’m just coming into it from driving an 80s era Ferrari that feels more like an engine strapped on 4 wheels and a tin shell. The 456 is faster no doubt, then my Mondial t, but as Chris Harris opined...it’s always more fun to feel like your going faster then you are, then going fast but not feeling it.

My two cars are the perfect stablemates for me, like steak and lobster! I don’t mind the 456’s more civilized nature, after all that’s what it is designed for and exactly why I bought it!

I get questioned, especially from young guns: ever think of selling both and getting a 430 or 458?

no, I’ve learned while each successive generation gains a lot on paper, each update to the formula also loses some je ne sais quoi.

cheers