Help! 308 to 348 wheel conversion...? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help! 308 to 348 wheel conversion...?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JonnyT, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Because the fronts are the same, you shouldn't notice anything. There will be some forces on the rear suspension that are different, but they go into the frame, you'll never know they eare there. I think it will feel exactly the same as it does now.

Why don't you plan to come and feel it out properly??

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12342

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Mark, when is that? I could not find a date. The car is going under the knife again this weekend, and will be in at least 3 weeks as the CF interior needs to be made and installed. I am guessing I will not see that car again until the end of April everything is working on schedule...

That said, I am worried that the rear forces might prove too excessive and cause cracks etc..

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    It's May 15, Here's the original thread
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12333

You'll be fine, put your mind at ease, nothing is going to crack/bend/flex because of your wheel change. You may see rear wheel bearing or a-arm bushings only last 80k miles instead of 100k, but that's about it. The wheels on the rear of my car are 32mm offset instead of the stock 11 and are mounted with no spacer, so the centerline is moved inboad 21mm (the wheels are 2.5" wider than stock, so the face of the wheel is actually moved out 10mm from stock). Anyway, there hasn't been any sign of a problem.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Mark, the difference is if the car came with 348 wheels or the same offset as 348 wheels, the positioning of the hubs would be further out by using a different hub/contol arm arrangement to keep scrub down. I dont think anything will fail either but there is a reason why cars dont come from the factory with big honkin spacers on the fron hubs and its all to do with handling. Does a 348 have a spacer or is the rotor and hub face close to the rim? The rear wouldnt concern me at all.

5. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    why would anyone want to do this ?
    aren't the 348 wheels heavier than sh!^

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They are heavier than any 308 factory rim.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    With all the talk about 308 wheels, has anyone considered using 15" rims from a 400? They look deep, probably plenty available and inexpensive.

8. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    I appreciate all of the posts guys. The fact is, I have spoken extensively with Wolfgang (his old 308 is pictured on the first page of this thread with the same mods) and also with a gentlemen whom I trust as far as the 'engineering' of F-cars is concerned and both agree with what Bert has already stated. The one drawback to the wheels is that they are heavy, but as this car is not intended to be on the track anytime soon, that is a moot point.

For Joe: It's a matter of personal taste, but in person, the 348 wheels look fabulous on the 308. I wanted 'Ferrari' wheels on my car, not 'aftermarkets' and these look great.

9. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    #34 JonnyT, May 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I cant remeber what they look like?

11. JonnyT

JonnyT Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    I forgot to mention that the car handles very well. I was concerned after some of the posts that I read here, but now I'm convinced that more rubber on the ground is not a bad thing!

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Awesome, congrads!!

13. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    (I don't mean this as a backhanded comlpliment...)
    Those wheels look better than I thought they would. I didn't like the wheels on the other car pictured earlier, but it's nice on yours!

Since people reading this are thinking about bigger wheels on 308s, can anyone tell me how wide of a wheel can be packaged? 8.5F, 10R? Any chance without moving shock mounts like someone mentioned? If anyone can give me a go/no go that'll be cool, otherwise I'll post once I've completed a comprehensive search for the info. Thanks!

14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i would sure like to know about this!!!! anyone have any ideas??? were the 400 wheels knockoff style or did they have lug nuts,???? i dont remember!!! ill look around and see if i can find any info......... my 308 has 14 and 16 in wheels with it....... but i am always open to more options!

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    As far as I know 9.5+ is a bit much, but can be compensated for slightly w/ spacers.

16. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They look real sweet! I'm with you on the "Ferrari" wheels on a Ferrari idea. Aura went with the same idea as well.

Dave
    BTW, I like the standard Ferrari-issue under car cardboard. ;) I ordered the same option myself! (Stupid oil, always leaking out....) LOL!

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have always preferred the look of the 16" QV wheels on a 308 but I think those 348 wheels look really good!! Way to go!
    Birdman

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The front is no problem, I have 8.5, but 9 or 9.5 would go if you wanted them. In back, it depends on your springs. The stock springs are about a 3.5" ID if I recall and come pretty close to an 8" wheel, but you hsould be able get an 8.5" on ro maybe a 9, but it would be very tight. With 2.5" ID springs, I had 9" on my car and there was still a little room to work with, so 9.5" should go. They do Make 2.25" ID springs, that might get you a 10"...I have seen 360 wheels on 308s which are 10s, but the tires might be rubbing the fender too....

19. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Looking for help. Hope I can use this thread without stepping on toes. Just R/R wheels & Tires in drive way. Its dark now. Not a good day. Ordered and received Axis seven mods 19X8 5/108. 235-35-19 p-zero front and 255-30-19 rear to replace stock 17's.

Car will not move in forward or reverse. Shut things down and had a beer. Will f/u am to check. Jacked up rear end disengaged hand brake and gear. Rear wheels will not move. All clearances front and rear good. All studs same size, no spacers and offsets visually appear same as stock. Removed aluminium alignment pins to install wheels. Is this a no no or tell me these need to be on the car. Wheels interfere with these pins otherwise. Suppos
    ed this combination has worked well in other applications. Former 328 guy now 360 guy says so.

What did I do? First time owner and new to chat. Any help appreciated. Maybe pulling trigger too soon. Have troubleshooting skills but not on F cars. However I need something to sleep on. Want to be optimistic for a Sat in the Garage. Thanks!

20. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    19s will leave you with too little rubber to work. 18s already have next to none. 19s will not work on US streets.

Also, stock is 16 not 17.

If you are serious, I can check your tires.

21. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Dave B. -- Are you sure it isn't just a lugbolt length issue. I know 328 use the same length stock lugbolt front and rear, but perhaps at the rear it's a more critical situation so if your aftermarket lugbolts protrude a bit further than stock it may be still OK at the front, but a problem at the rear -- just a thought as something to check/verify...

22. Roryferrari

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell

Thanks I'll check that. reminds me that tightening seemed a little strange. Will back them off and re-check.

23. Roryferrari

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Not sure that I completly understand your reply concerning too little rubber. Overall diameter visually is the same vs stock. Are you talking profile? I meant 16's stock, not 17's sorry! Little flustered I suppose. Maybe thinking of the dually.

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Sounds like the bolts....I remember having the rear bolts hit on one of the wheel sets I tried. A few minutes on the bench grinder fixed it. As I recall they hit the bolts that holt the axle bearings in.

25. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Sorry it was a bit pre-occupied yesterday. Looking at my wheels, with almost no rubber on them and they being 'merely' 18s, I cannot imagine what 19 would be like...