Help - 348 Brake caliper/piston locked? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help - 348 Brake caliper/piston locked?

Discussion in '348/355' started by vdettore, Dec 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I don't know if you have gotten the piston out yet, but I hate using compressed air to get stuck brake pistons out. You cannot control the movement of the piston and once it breaks loose it comes out with a ton of force and a mist of brake fluid. I have injured fingers in the past as well.

The best way is to connect a grease zerk fitting to the inlet fitting on the caliper. You then pump grease into the caliper with a grease gun to remove the stuck piston. You can slowly pump the piston out with a solid/liquid (grease) and develop much higher pressures than using shop air. You can feel when the piston breaks loose and control its movement on the way out. Yes, you have to clean up some grease afterwards, but you don't have a big "POP" with the piston flying around and then have to breath brake fluid for the next few minutes.

Just a thought.

krazykarguy and vdettore like this.
  2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree grease would be much more controllable but also a much more involved setup. When using air, you can lower the pressure as the size of the piston (diameter) will see plenty of force. You can also throttle the air flow without just blasting away at high pressure and flow. Inserting a wooden block will dampen the blow.

vdettore likes this.
  3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  4. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thanks I’ll check it out.
    I cracked the bleeder screw and was able to collapse the piston.
    Once I get the cv boots changed out I’m going to reattach the brake caliper and see if that piston is going to leak. Whether it does or not I’m going to rebuild the caliper if I can find the parts.

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Curious...if you know the sizes of the boots could you cross reference them?

I saw in the link the boot part numbers were noted....maybe match them up that way

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Well I got it all put together today and no leaks. Then went out for a 30 minute drive, then got under the car after the drive with a flash light and so far so good. Once I get the other side of the car’s cv boots replaced and the right rear wheel bearings I’ll take a look at rebuilding the calipers ( if I can find the parts).

Vince FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I couldn't find any seals for my ATE callipers anywhere. Ferrari don't list them...The local calliper rebuild people said they could paint them but not rebuild. I think the Brembo seals are still available though.

8. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    See my earlier post... do you have the calipers apart? most of the boots have a number on them and you can pull that number you may be able to find a cross reference for them.

I'll happily research if someone can get me the numbers off the boots.

9. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince