Help assessing a 308 candidate | FerrariChat

Help assessing a 308 candidate

Discussion in '308/328' started by rjd2, Mar 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Hey guys, would love to get your feedback on a 308 I have a shot at. I just got word from someone I know who has been keeping an eye out for me for a 308, and has a lead on one. I have not seen the car. It's a carbureted, rosso chiaro, tan interior, targa, 4 valve car. I do not know the year. The story on the car is that a dealer replaced the original engine with a Ferrari V8 from another 308. It has not been driven in 10 years, "ran when parked" apparently. He wants 50k for it. I can likely ask him to start the car when I see it(unless that's a terrible idea? I do have a car trailer). Thoughts? On paper, it's checking most of the boxes of what I'm looking for(prefer non-red but it's not a deal breaker). Thanks for any feedback, I know it's not a very comprehensive backstory, but it's all I've got so far!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No such thing as a 4 valve carb car.

19633500GT likes this.
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

50K for a car that has not been started in ten years!!!!!
    Not original engine!!!!

carguy246 likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    something don't add up, least of all the price of a non-running 308. Don't start it, by the way.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well actually you can convert a QV to have carbs but we don’t know what has been changed and how it was change. Definitely something is not original on that car, it is best to find out exactly what year and post some pics and hopefully it has all the service and modified history.

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I agree , with that being said, there are many sorted 308/ 328 s out there, why not use all the extra money its going to take to make it right , and believe me with that car it will be thousands, use that money instead and buy a sorted car from an owner who took very good care of it and has the records to prove it Good luck in your search.

Thank u

308 milano, rocket50 and Rifledriver like this.
  7. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    hey dude, that sound so very familiar, how you doing GinoBBi512? and how is your 328 ?:)

:)

8. Baltz1969

Baltz1969 Karting

Apr 24, 2017
    Chula Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    Jose Baltz
    A few years ago I purchased my 308 2V that also sat for several years. Doing the work myself, I went through the fuel system, exhaust, cooling, ignition, brake system, emissions, cam belts & wheels, electrical , & minor body issues and so far have spent just under 10K in parts. You can save a lot $ shopping for the beast deals from US parts vendors & Super Performance in England. Additionally, this cite has a great parts interchange thread which is pretty on the money. Good luck on your venture, you'll have fun with it, if you get it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    It'd help if you had more details especially starting with where you are located. A car like that in Europe may be worth it, but if it's in here in the US it may not be. Then more details about the engine, when it was replaced and by whom? Too much missing info to give you any sound advice right now. BUT....you've come to the right place. Find out the VIN or chassis number and chances are someone here might have some info about it.

10. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Keep searching.. 2cts

11. rjd2

rjd2 Karting

Jul 28, 2016
    Thanks folks!!!! Super helpful. (I'm in Columbus Ohio, as is the car, which is a bonus). If I could land a 308 for 40-60 that was sorted and hadn't sat, I'd probably jump on that instead. If I see the car, I'll loop back with pics. Sadly, the deal is coming thru one of the primary service shops for italian classics around here, it's kind of not in my best interest to really try to bang on him on the price.

12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I am here in C-Bus also (actually, Powell area) and have owned my 308 since 2003, doing all of my own maintenance. Happy to offer my own 'non-professional' observations as you might wish.

Evans? Studio 47? NJB? You can Private Message me if you don't wish to divulge the details publicly.

DM

P.S. - Come to think of it, maybe you'd want to buy mine? It'd be in your price range window: http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/dave80gtsi/library/1980%20308%20GTSi?sort=9&page=1

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sounds like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Just buy one that runs.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Run away. Dealer switched to non original type motor. Too weird. Not running for 10 years. $50K. There are some nice $50K cars out there that run and won’t give you a headache like this one will.

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Im well. thank you how are you Sir

17. nitro

nitro Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Snowmass/KenCaryl
    You should have no issue finding a sorted 308 at $60k could be 50-60k miles but who cares if it’s documented.

18. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Contact info PM'd to the original poster.

19. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    good to hear buddy ! I'm good..

20. RFly2Dive

RFly2Dive Rookie

Aug 23, 2004
    Jupiter, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    I have had my 308 Gtsi QV European model for over past 15 years. I bought it with just over 7.000 miles and it is now just over 33,000 miles. I have all receipts for all work I have done plus some extras. I have kept it at Prestige Auto in West Palm Beach, FL. I have been going back and forth about selling it but if I did list it it would be $60,000. It runs great and is all original with tools, lights, fuses, and jack. You need to walk, I mean run, away from this 'deal.' Unless you get a ppi & that it is $25,000 or less. IMHO

21. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops