Help... BLOWN MAF.... | FerrariChat

Help... BLOWN MAF....

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marco Bussadori, Jun 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    #1 Marco Bussadori, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    While sorting out a mixture issue, the CO screw fell out and heard a loud pop inside of it. I took the MAF apart and found it full of muck and water and a burned out hole in the jell-o insulator with damage to the chip below.

If you have a MAF with a broken wire, I'd be keen to buy it from you - please PM me with a reasonable price expectation.

I can't find any reasonably priced Bosch 0280 212 018's (used in all Motronic 2.5 and 2.7 Mondial T's and 348's as Ferrari part number 136374) around and was wondering if these were interchangeable with the 355 with Motronic 2.7 Bosch 0280 213 012's (Ferrari pn. 154916)

I found that the Bosch MAFs starting with 0280 212 018/9/22 all have the same operating volumes and flow range temperatures "HLM 2/4.7 155°" does this make them interchangeable?

I read ND's hypertechnical post, but could not find any of the SAAB references (I'm going to try a scrap yard tomorrow).

In the interim, Looking at the Motronic 5.2 based 355, I "crosswired" the MAF connectors, and voila' the engine runs perfectly, it would only run on one bank (the exhaust was cold on the "down" bank 5-8 for proof) otherwise. The cross wiring connects the two MAF connectors at (roll the rubber sleeve back, expose the connector pins, solder a wire across both connectors and roll the sleeve back up) the CO screw (Red/White) on Pin 6, and the signal out (orange) on Pin 5. The other pins deliver supply power, ground, hot wire burn-off and signal return.

If you blow a MAF on the road, this can be a quick fix to get you home. Clearly in a closed loop engine with good O2's and in a well maintained engine, the airflow should be nearly identical between the banks. The fueling is predominantly done by way of O2 sensors, and the "shared" MAF signal is fine for partial throttle. While the 355 is designed with this, the F119 based cars were not. As a result this solution can only be temporary and should be returned to their standard configuration ASAP.

Marco

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    There are other non-Ferrari Bosch units that work just as well I thought for about 1/3 the price... May be a solution..

3. Marco Bussadori

Marco Bussadori Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2007
    London
    Full Name:
    Marco Bussadori
    Any idea of where one can get them and potential part number translation?

4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    #4 Llenroc, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    The 2 parts are not interchangeable the 348 has the adjustment screw and 2.7 355 does not. there isn't even a wire(pin #6) for it in the 355 plug/cable. IIRC mid 90's V8 BMWs used the same flow meter.

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have a parts number at home----I am on vacation right now--send me a PM on Tuesday and I'll look it up..

6. Loser

Loser Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Gilroy, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    www.importecparts.com has the 355 5.2 version for $270 US (Kragen Auto Parts version is around $500 US). The 348 version is out of stock though. Maybe contact them and see if they can get you one.

7. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    These are probably Chinese knock-offs or they could also be by a Bulgarian company called SpectroMatic. Bench tested both "brands" and, compared to Bosch, their air mass output signals are way out. In any case, if they work initially, they normally last for 2-3 months.

SoCal1, Qavion, Pangea and 1 other person like this.
  9. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    We have the same problem in Oz with aftermarket MAF's they are as mentioned above but also the signals given are very very slow. You must also be aware that some aftermarket/old MAF's will give very lean mixture at higher rev ranges