HELP, can't get the heads off | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HELP, can't get the heads off

Discussion in '308/328' started by Racing-Baker, Feb 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    How common is this? All, some,10%? I've been thinking about pulling my heads to replace the sodium valves and guides, but there is no real issue other than the valve seals need replaced. I would hate to turn a valve seal & lash job into a major issue that involved cutting off heads!

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You don't have to remove the heads if all you do is replacing the valve stem seals. At these ages, the head removal is likely a real pain.

3. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Also, the 2V heads are a bit more straightforward to get off because the studs are exposed... It is the four-valve engines where the studs are hiding in their little alcoves making it very difficult to fashion a full-head puller/pusher.

On our 4V car, one head came right off and the second one had to be cut off :( I'm assuming the one that came off had been off before, but that is an assumption...

Franny

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    In the past 2 years I have pulled the heads on two separate 2V engines. Not exactly a huge data pool but I can say that in both instances the puller did steady work for most of the extraction and was a necessary tool to perform the job. I can only assume that pulling the heads on any 40 year old engine that has never been opened would require something beyond manual force.

5. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Is this for a 2v or a 4v? Do you have a digital file that you would be willing to share or sell? Thanks man!

-Spencer

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This is for a 2V and I never made a digital file; only a paper template. The laser cutter did the rest. I'd be happy to share whatever I have on this project but all the R&D was pretty analog.