Help. Can't open trunk | FerrariChat

Help. Can't open trunk

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ELP_JC, Jul 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Sorry to bother you folks, but can't open the freaking trunk. Obviously manual is in there, but managed to download it from the Ferrari site, and I don't seem to be missing anything, like a secret valet switch activated by accident (there's no 'valet' on the manual's index). There're only 3 ways to open the trunk: key fob, car switch next to the fuel cap lid, and physical key next to the license plate lights. None of the 3 methods worked, regardless of ignition key position (tried them all). And no dash errors like the roof not properly closed. And yes, fuel cap lid switch works. Any ideas what could be the culprit? Many thanks.

2. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
  3. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #4 ELP_JC, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    Thanks a million man. Tried the 'resetting' technique, and nothing. And the other posts don't apply to me since the trunk and roof are fully closed. Seems like the trunk mechanism is disconnected or something. So tried turning the key harder, and just before I was about to quit before breaking something, key started giving way. Finally was able to turn it the 1/4-turn required. What a PITA. The key hole couldn't be at any worse angle to turn it. And hurt my finger trying to squeeze it behind the key. Geez.

Anyway, trunk opened perfectly, and motor pulled it down. But same crap: neither key nor seat switch work. Trunk is basically empty, with the shelf firmly down, and nothing in the way. What the hell can it be? Gas cap is working, and keyfob is working, just not the freaking trunk. Isn't there a stupid valet switch like on the 430 somewhere??? Manual is crap due to a very bad index. And don't have time to read 200+ pages right now. Thanks again. At least I could open the trunk, but would like to fix the issue. And no, no dealer closer than 400 miles, so that's not an option for something this stupid. Take care folks.

EDIT: Forgot to say I obviously checked the fuse (F-38 below the electric parking brake lever), but it was fine. Only thing left is a relay on the passenger footwell, but the trunk key hole activated the motor to release the trunk latch, plus motor pulled down trunk lid too, so it's almost obvious both are okay. Stumped what it is since both key and switch are not working, pointing to the body control module, or who knows what. Comments welcocme folks. Hope it's something stupid. And yes, looked all over the car for a valet switch, but no luck.

4. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    one person suggested pushing down on the trunk while turning the key. not sure if that will make a difference. I have never opened mine with the key yet. maybe I will try tonight out of curiosity.

speaking of the key fob, not sure if others have the same issue, but there seems to be a very short functional range for the remote buttons to work. literally, once I am beyond 10 feet of the car, pressing the buttons do nothing.

5. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Tried that, but that's not the issue. And yes, tried all the key remote tricks right next to the car, so range wasn't an issue. I'm stumped. Trunk was operating perfectly up to now. Maybe something on the last roof cycle. And since key latch activates the electric trunk mechanism, nothing is amiss with fuses and relays. Really strange.

Trunk key latch is ridiculously hard to turn, and hard to get your fingers on the back, which is needed for the brutal force you need to exert on the key. Will try silicone spray to see if that alleviates the issue, but Ferrari could have done a MUCH better job there :(.

Going on vacation for a week, so will deal with that issue later. Thanks again for all your help.

6. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    Have you tried lowering the roof and then raising it, and repeating a couple of times?

When my roof was malfunctioning sometimes the boot wouldn't open, and if there is a roof fault it can stop the boot/trunk from opening

It's worth a try

7. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    I'll try that when I come back. Nobody has touched the car, so something happened during a roof cycle. Maybe a pinched wire or something, but no error message on the dash at all. On the 430, a roof error was permanently there (when cold, sometimes roof didn't finish the cycle when opened, but looked perfectly closed... probably due to the stiff fabric), but will use my scanner to make sure there's nothing set in memory. Thanks again for all your help; greatly appreciated.

8. hotbmwm3

hotbmwm3 Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2006
    Melbourne and London
    Full Name:
    Owner -09 California
    #9 hotbmwm3, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    A drivetrain scanner (generic OBD2 scanner) won't show any roof or what I call the body control module codes

If you have the $8000 Leonardo it will show all errors and can reset them

I have watched a mechanic plug a Leonardo into my Cali and read and clear codes

But I'm not aware of any affordable tool we can buy to help with the electronic systems on the car

I do have a $200 generic OBD2 scan tool I bought from USA eBay and it works on the car

But it's limited to engine related stuff

If anyone knows of a good cheapish tool for the Cali I would love to know

For my BMW's I have a Bavtech cable and it's fantastic, it's made by Durametric

http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

They were working on a Ferrari one but it's years overdue according to posts on this forum about it

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287358

Two of the important technical owners have since left this forum and don't post here unfortunately so we will need to find another source for updates (if any)

9. tg5769

tg5769 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I had this, I got out the car and locked it, waited 1 minute, opened the car and the boot opened perfectly.

I have an annoying problem, only now and then when I open OR close the roof, the boot does not shut fully, anyone else had that?

10. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    It's a known problem. Just take it to your dealer and he should be able to solve it very quickly with a reset. Worst case scenario there is a faulty sensor and they replace it.

11. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Just came back from a well deserved vacation :). Before trying a roof cycle, locked car, unlocked it, and I'll be darned, freaking trunk opened perfectly, just like you said. WTH? Glad it was only that, but why? Guess one of those electronic gremlins all modern cars seem to have :(. Thanks a million for that tip. Hope it also helps others with the same problem.

Now need to check if somebody posted on how to remove the roof console. Thanks again to all who contributed.

12. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    Glad it solved your issue (for now).

Speaking of electronic gremlins, on my 2012, sometimes the radio stops producing sound and sometimes the front air vents refuse to blow air. However these two issues happen only occasionally and when they do, turning engine off and restarting corrects it in 90% cases. I want dealer to fix it but doubt they will ever encounter the issue.

13. tg5769

tg5769 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Glad to be of assistance!

14. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    My advice is to never waste your time with an issue you cannot duplicate at will. You don't want techs putting miles and possibly abusing your car trying to find an intermittent issue. As long as gremlins like that only happen occasionally, and go away after a restart, I wouldn't bother. As a last resort before a dealer visit, you could disconnect the negative battery terminal, depress the brake pedal to discharge capacitors, and reconnect it. But make sure your car doesn't have to pass an emissions test anytime soon, becuase it takes a while for the readiness codes to set again. Good luck.

People like you make this forum great. Thanks again.