Help changing trunk struts in 456m | FerrariChat

Help changing trunk struts in 456m

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rgottschalklaw, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rgottschalklaw

Apr 4, 2015
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I know there has to be a simple explanation and I apologize in advance. How do you change the trunk struts in a 456m? My replacement parts have threads on both ends while those in the car don't seem to have threads on the lower half. I just don't want to get into it to find I have the wrong parts. TIA.

Randy.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The gas shocks just snap over the balls that are on the car/trunk lid. Some of the new shocks come with new balls depending on the part number. Make sure that the lengths of the new shocks are the same as the old and the spring pressures are the same, They will be marked in Newtons of force on the shock, 180N for example.
    You should be able to pop the shocks off of the balls by inserting a small pocket screwdriver in the groove on the outside of the ball socket and pry the metal clip open so it comes off of the ball. Remove the balls from the new shocks and then just pop them onto the original balls on the car.