HELP! Cracked motor mount bracket, what is the fix? | FerrariChat

HELP! Cracked motor mount bracket, what is the fix?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RedNeck, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    To fix:: Y0u need to pull everything off, grind out the crack and then weld it back together.

And when I say "pull everything off" I mean enough so that you can get the grinder and the welding equipment into the pocket easily.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Hopefully one of the real pros will chime in.

First I would find out if this is an isolated crack due to increased stress like you track the car on race tires alot or the car was in an accident or dropped off a transporter, that kind of thing. If the crack is a known Ferrari problem then second is there a factory solution? Did the factory just change the subassembly? Did they weld them? Did they increase part thickness in later years? Did the Ferrari fix work? Third, if you accept this crack as a design flaw like metal too thin and engine weight to great then you have to do a redesign.

If you assume the crack is a design flaw you can't just weld it because you will likely crack again. Also, never welding this aluminum subframe myself you want a very skilled TIG welder like a guy certified to do aerospace stuff. He will have a larger bag of tricks. It can be very hard to clean and TIG weld cast aluminum that has soaked for years in oil and grime. I'm a good self-taught TIG welder and fabricator and I know. I would probably weld the crack and box in the metal to increase the load carrying of the engine mount. My 1st thoughts are to weld aluminum sheet and thicken the part the engine mount actually sits on and down the sides to thicken the whole piece. You may even be able to box in the bottom to a point. I would probably do the uncracked side too. Of course this means engine out for access.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This is exactly what Im trying to figure out. The crack was a design issue on the 99's, they beefed up that bracket on later years. There was a "fix", but I can't determine whether it was a "Ferrari" fix or just more meat welded to the bracket. The local Ferrari dealer could not tell me anything, I did a search here and this is the best thing I can come up with on @E60 M5 's car. I think it had been done before he got the car though, and I don't know if the part that was welded on is custom or something that you can order.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, this work was done by Lake Forest Ferrari with the first owner. Never had an issue.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah that is sort of boxing in the weak area. Cars might crack in different places if that whole piece of metal is undersized. So the fix for "redneck" might be more or less extensive. You really need to be able to see this in 3D to get full appreciation if you are inventing your own wheel. If there is a known failure point and E60's boxing of the mount point is the known fix then you have your answer. Maybe at least a call into lake Forest may shed some light. 1999 is a long time ago. The tech may have retired by now and "redneck" will then have to get creative.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I called lake forest yesterday, waiting for a call back. Hopefully they can shed some light on the procedure.

8. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Interested how this turned out. I have a 99 as well and and am thinking of doing the weld as preventative maintenance.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Sorry I never updated this...what I ended up finding when I was under there, is that after taking some sandpaper to the area, the crack wasn't actually a crack, while I'm sure there was some stress in the area that caused the paint to make it separate like that (the motor mounts were SHOT when I got my PPI), The actual mounting bracket itself wasn't cracked. BUT I am still going to get it welded, probably when I do my next annual or major, I've already talked to @MerlinTech about it, he's aware of the process.

10. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    If you remember after you get it done post how it worked out. I am curious if it changes the feel of the car or anything else.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

that's what i thought after i saw the pic, it looks like a paint crack to me.

12. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    What a waste of time LOL

13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    You making this extraneous post? I agree.:rolleyes:

14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for following up! That is really important to close the loop on the important issues that affect our aging cars.