Help for 275GTB LongNose #08191 | FerrariChat

Help for 275GTB LongNose #08191

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Italian Lover, Mar 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #1 Italian Lover, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #2 Vintage V12, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    The nose does not look correct to me. Too flat on the bottom. The grille should measure 765mm x 145mm (in the middle). Many of these cars have been hit in the front and not properly repaired.

3. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #3 John Vardanian, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009

I wonder if the car posted above is the same as the one on this website. If it is, someone gave it a fresh nose, but just didn't get the shape quite right. You can see the "pushed out chin" in the finished photo at the bottom of the website page.

http://www.karosserie.com/casestudyferrari.htm

john

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    It may be just the aforementioned "flatness" of the bottom of the grille opening, but the placement of the bumper blades in relation to the grille opening also looks a bit off to me. The blades appear to be too low. At first glance, the front end reminded me more of a shortnose 275 GTB, with a flat grille bottom and bumper blades positioned lower in relation to the grille. The Japanese car does seem to be the same one shown in the restoration photos. Fred

5. Tom Roland

Tom Roland Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Jimmy,

Just a note: advertised for sale in the Nov. 1985 Road & Track. Sorry I don't have the exact text on hand.

Cheers

6. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #6 Mark Shannon, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #7 Vintage V12, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  8. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    This car has traveled quite a bit. Sold new to Switzerland, was in the US by 1972 where it was shown at the FCA Annual Meet, then later that year sold to Germany, then Switzerland again before coming back to the US, Kansas to be exact, in the mid 1980s. It was being offered for sale by Pennsylvania Motor Sport in 1994, and then apparently wound up in Japan. I believe the car was painted a shade of green when new, then silver, red and now yellow.

-Jarrett

9. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Is it alloy or steel?

10. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    #10 MJarrettR, Mar 11, 2009
    Alloy, 3 carb

-Jarrett

11. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Thanks, thats what I thought. The telltale signs aren't clear in these photos. Somewhere ( I forget) it was recorded as being a steel car... perhaps.

12. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Yes I believe there is is a build sheet or some Factory documentation somewhere that says this car was originally intended to have a steel body, however, I am fairly confident that this order was switched to alloy during the actual building of the car (not uncommon to have last minute changes not reflected on the build sheets), as this car was clearly offered for sale in 1972 as having an alloy body. It is possible that there may have been a major accident very early in the car's life which would have caused it to be rebodied in alloy, but I have not heard of any documentation that would prove this.

-Jarrett

13. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Jimmy-

I hope the car checks out and you get this Gallo beauty. It's one of my favorite cars in the beat color. It would look great in your stable of fine autos.

Gene.

PS How are the prices in Japan for the vintage Ferraris? Any bargains?

14. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #14 Italian Lover, Mar 12, 2009
    First of all, thank you all for your inputs and comments. I was all for it and now I am a bit worried. I did decide to acquire, but after your comments, should I reconsider or mention this to renegotiate the price. It is roughly US$800,000. I was informed the car came from New York in early 2000 or so. The color was yellow then and this first Japanese owner in the outskirt of Tokyo sold to the current owner in Tokyo in 2001. He subsequently shipped the car to Italy for full restoration at a formidable cost. The car has been driven only 1600km or so since but maintained meticulously. Currently, the car does look and drive magnificently (what do I know). I have a question to you all,...that is, such vintage cars are known to have some mishaps now and then. Thus, when a buyer comes along, shoule he (myself) take that as a part of the total picture and accept it, as long as the car is restored properly ? Should I renegotiate the price because of this ? Any comments are appreciated. Thanx in advance. w/ smiles Jimmy PS. I need to give a reply and deposit soon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jimmy,
    After doing some research last night here at Karosserie, it looks as if this 275 is not the car we repaired about 15 years ago. The one we repaired was an alloy C6 for a Mr. O'Brien that was orginally red which he wanted changed to yellow. The one we repaired had a new nose section put on which a steel nose section was purchased and an exact alloy reproduction was made, with measurements taken from our other clients 275's.

As I'm sure you know, most early cars were driven hard and had some mishaps along the way. My suggestion to you is to negoiate a fully refundable deposit after a through review of the car by a Ferrari historian. Perhaps you could contact Marcel Massini and see if he would be able to help you make your final decision on this 275. A couple thousand dollar inspection might shed some light on things a normal person would never pick up when looking at these vehicles. You can try to contact him via email which I just PM'd you as he is always traveling

Best wishes in your future purchase.

Regards,

Michael Palilons
    Karosserie, Ltd.

16. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Michael: thank you so much for taking your time to research and advice me. I am much obliged. I have e-mailed Marcel as suggested. Indeed, I am in a state of confusion as to what I should do. This car may indeed had an accident and the work may not be the exact duplicate of the original specs, however good this workmanship may be. Yet, this car is indeed in magnificent condition both visually and mechanically. Would this become a serious drawback in the future when I must let her go ??? Oh boy ... Anyway, thank you again, Michael for your help. I am all open for comments and suggestions. Gotta make my final decision very soon. w/ smiles Jimmy

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #17 Napolis, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Mechanical condition is very important. Visually I think the nose repair is wrong. In todays market I think 600K is a fair price for this torque tube,3 carb, steel 275GTB if the mechanical condition is fine. I also think the market has a ways to go on the downside but other's don't. IMO 800K is too much to pay for this car.

18. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    It looks stunning in that colour.

19. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Thanx for your wisdom and advice, Napolis. Much, much obliged. Now I am feeling $800,000 is a bit too tall myself. Thanx again. w/ smiles Jimmy

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #20 Napolis, Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks. Here's the nose of my old one. (alloy)

21. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Thank You, Napolis. Being able to compare to an original alloy of yours, I do see the definite difference in the front grille profile, which makes this 08191 repaired ? Thanx for your valuable wisdom. w/ smiles Jimmy

22. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I declined an offer of 800K for my car this week. A long nose torque tube steel body. Call me crazy but I believe in these cars and am in for the long term. I might just let my daughter deal with it when I die.

23. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    Jimmy,

May I say that you appear to be unduly tormenting yourself about something that should instead be a great pleasure ? If the car pleases you, I would not belabor such small details. In this range of values virtually anything can be repaired, and I assume that you will not be relying upon the car for everyday transport or as a dominant repository of your wealth.

The more important issue is to feel comfortable about the price, and whether it correctly reflects market conditions and the particular assets and disadvantages of that car. With cars of this rarity, even major repairs do not necessarily diminish value if they are done properly.

I defer to others as to whether $800k is a fair price for this car as it has been described. But in your position I would do my own analysis based upon auction websites, dealer offers, Ferrari Market Letter, forums like this and conversations with knowledgeable individuals. And then there is the great unknown of where prices will go in the future, and in today's extraordinary conditions I'm afraid you will be on your own with that assessment.

Before making an agreement or placing a deposit, I would urge you to get all representations as to the car's condition, history and originality in print. Depending upon the seller's character, a simple e-mail is usually adequate. Once the outline terms of the sale have been agreed, you have justification to invest in verifying whether representations upon which you have agreed a price are correct. In most cases they are not exactly correct, which of course leads to further negotiation.

You posting has been remarkably successful in gathering expert views. I would not hesitate to take advantage of the generous offer from Mark Shannon, who undoubtedly could also offer considerable wisdom as to the current state of the market.

As Napolis wisely advises, it is essential to know precisely the car's mechanical condition. I do not purchase older cars without a thorough inspection which I witness myself, including a compression/leakdown test, close examination of the car's underside using a lift and a road test to confirm in particular the driveline's condition. Obviously it would be preferable to be assisted by a mechanic experienced with the particular type of car being considered. You are unlikely to find perfection, but it is important to gauge probable future repair costs against your purchase price and the seller's representations.

Good luck, and please try to enjoy yourself.

Don

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm not saying you're crazy. I'm saying that in this market, IMO the correct price for this car is 600K and before the long term comes I also think that prices will come down from here.

I also think that the reason to own these cars is because you enjoy driving them not for what they may or may not be worth.

I bought the one I posted for 6.5K drove it 65K miles and sold it for 14K. That was the last collector car I ever sold. I wish I still had her.

25. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA