Help for 275GTB LongNose #08191 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Help for 275GTB LongNose #08191

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Italian Lover, Mar 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Thank you so very kindly,Terry (Taz), for your comment and input. If I end up buying this alloy model, I doubt I would bother to correct the front, grille shape. However, I appreciate deeply and it's comforting to see a ballpark figure for the project (albeit, $50K is still a substantial amount). Here in Japan, I am positive it'll cost much more ! I am aware that your aformentioned GTOs are prime examples of accidents and repairs and modifications, but then, we all know they belong in another dimensions (4th or 5th dimensions ???). Come to think of it, I may be mad afterall or I am in the midst of a midlife crisis !?!? How dreadful ... Sorry, didn't mean to end my rant in a negative mood. Thanx again for your wisdom. Much obliged. w/ smiles Jimmy

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    how is the BB going?
    I miss mine.

3. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Jimmy
    Just buy it, all this discussion will drive you crazy ! Ferrari's are very emotional,just buy it and enjoy it.
    No one has really talked about its Mechanical Condition, this seems to be a very nice car that has been driven very little I would be more worried about what it takes to put it in excellant driving shape after sitting soo long rather then the precise shape of it's nose.

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Good luck with your decision. I agree that at the end of the day it's an emotional one.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Point of Interest: s/n 8191 pre-dates torque tube production. It is a long nose with interim driveshaft configuration.

Bruce Perrone

6. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #81 JazzyO, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jimmy posted a couple of hundred pics of the restoration in 2003 of 17585 on the FL forum. I have a feeling she is doing fine! :) Jimmy, I must come over and admire your Boxer one of these days. ;) I still hope you're coming over to admire mine in June.

Best of luck with your decision, but I agree with Oscar, Geno and 410SA. The car seems wonderful, for a decent price, and you can correct the nose at a later stage.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #82 Italian Lover, Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
    Hello Ono: Thanx a bunch for your support. Actually the BB pics I loaded in the Ferrari Life Forum, http*//www.****************/forums/showthread.php?t=9238 in the BB section come to around 600 pics. If anyone is curious, please take a look. The works were done by the previous owner half a dozen years ago. Parts costs along came to around US$40,000. The guy was a tinkerer and it was his dream to work on a BB. As for the tormenting 275GTB #08191, I have made up my mind and the decision to acquire "her". I would like to thank all of you individually for your comments and supports, but let me suffice and say THANK YOU, collectively. I'll be heading out to LA at the latest by early April, upon where I shall transfer money. The deal should finalize by mid April, hopefully. THANX to you all for your help. I am deeply grateful. I'll keep all of you updated. w/ big smiles Jimmy PS. Onno, I am still in the state of serious consideration to join you all in the Ferrari Life Epic Drive II (FLED II). That would definitely be one of my Bucket's List. PPS.It appears that I am not allowed to show "the other" Ferrari Life site in this FChat ...

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Congratulations Jimmy!!!

I do not think you are going to regret that for one moment. What a car, just fantastic. I just hope you get to find a mountain road where you can open her up a bit - she'll be thankful.

Onno

9. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Good choice Jimmy!
    You will love her and please drive it as you do with the others!

And Onno this FLEDII is possibly only for BB owners :)

Ciao
    Oscar
    (Jimmy our cars are less then 10 275's apart...)

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Well, we'll have at least 3 BB or ex-BB owners and with Jimmy that would be 4... but no, of course not only BB owners.

We're looking at a 308 Fibreglass, 430 Scuderia, F355, 365 BB, possibly a CS, and whatever our friend Boxer will bring (he owns F50/F40/360 and Daytona). Look at the FL forum for more details if you're interested in a bit of a blast through the Alps with good food, good hotels and good company.

Onno

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    BRAVO!!! Jimmy...

12. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Jimmy: It sounds like you have fallen in love with the car so I say go for it. In my opinion this model has a timeless design and is really the last true hand built (pounded out on a buck-pre Fiat) Ferrari. They are fantistic cars.Please post updates and questions on the car. This forum has many 275gtb people that can assist and guide you. matt8933

13. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    My hat is off to you Sir!

Enjoy her the way she was intended to be enjoyed, as I'm sure you will.

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congratulations on your decision, Jimmy! Your collection will surely be quite well-rounded, and the envy of just about everyone who knows and appreciates vintage Ferraris. I know that you will be delighted with your latest acquisition! Fred

15. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    As stated earlier, collectively, I thank you all for your comments, advices, and overall help and guidance. I stopped by the broker today to pay a deposit. Bunch of mechanical parts, engine parts, and odds & ends were in several boxes. More documentations are on its way from the current owner. I'll be returning to LA sometime late this month or early April for a visit and at this time, I would be wiring the balance from my account in LA to finalize this deal. This car has been returned in 2005 from Italy (undergoing full mechanical restorations) and has clocked only 1,300km to date. Probably, it'll take a while to break in the engine. As mentioned before, some modifications were rendered. Muffler system has been completely replaced by stainless steel system. Larger, more eficient radiator fan has replaced the original. Interior doors' armrests were removed and replaced by door pull of 250GT Lusso's. Amenity pockets added. Shift knob changed to the 250GTO's round, silver knob. Rear leather back behind seats changed to Lusso's cross-pattern leather lining. Mechanically, the car has no issues, maybe some minor things. Simply amazing for a car that is almost 45 years old. I shall keep you all up-to-date. Thanx a bunch. w/ smiles Jimmy

16. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Please add my congratulations too Jimmy! I think you made a fine decision. I look forward to seeing the yellow Ferrari next to the yellow Abarth.

Tritone

17. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Jimmy: So, glad. Heard about you making this decision yesterday and congrats. It looks to be a very wise choice in that you would have kicked yourself for passing it up.

Rik Granucci

18. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    #93 Italian Lover, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
    A long belated silence. If anyone care to see, my 275GTB #08191 is shown on Youtube. I did not know of this and I happened to find it by chance. This was done by my friend, vintage Ferrari broker, who borrows my cars quite often for shows and events. He did this without my knowledge. This was taken in Yokohama, Japan at a parking/rest area by the Bay Bridge in Yokohama. At least you can hear the engine and horn sound. The car is FINE. w/ smiles Jimmy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOTtSZCv0c

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sounds and looks great.
    I guess all the pre-purchase angst was worth it.

20. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    I thank you all for the inputs and comments. I have acquired the history and build sheets from Marcel Massini. He owned this car himself in the '80s. As for the front grille issue, it is clarified now. The first owner in 1966, upon purchase, modified the lower part in order to accomodate additional driving lights. (Thank goodness it wasn't due to crashes). The history is clear and clean. As you can see, the car is FINE. w/ smiles Jimmy

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Very interesting, Jimmy. Sounds to me like the nose alteration is now actually a plus, not a negative. It's part of the original history of the car.

Onno

22. Italian Lover

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Yes, Onno, thank goodness that issue is behind me now. The car has undergone several color changes and moved around the world, otherwise, it is a car with clean bill of history. Kinda like that horn sound myself, by the way. w/ smiles Jimmy

23. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    #98 Vintage V12, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
    ?

24. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name: