Help! Have I destroyed my engine (348)? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Help! Have I destroyed my engine (348)?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gredinger, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

YIKES! "Also throw in about $80 for a tube of Dow-Corning 730 if you like. "
    Shan B say it isn't so......That's like a James Bond babe with cellulite!

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Pucky! 348's are Aluminium. Good luck cutting off even a broken one. Only inspector Kluso would try that. This must be an April fool's. A mechanic can't be that stupid and even an owner could agree than repair only follows after proper diagnosis.

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb

Yup, afraid so - actually it was slightly less ($70 or so). I agree it is pricey but I had several good mechanic friends (auto and airframe) swear that it's one of the best sealers on the market. It had interesting working properties. Just a tiny dab in the right places and so far my garage floor has remained spotless.

4. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I would really like to understand this deal. Looking through gredinger's other posts, I see he states that his car is a 1993 ts. I had never heard of a 348 with a plastic timing belt cover, but if you look at the engine picture from the 348GT brochure, dated 11/93, the cover is black, and I suppose it could be plastic. I wouldn't know if or when they changed to plastic.

But, if the main timing belt cover on his car IS plastic, and it WAS broken before all this started, then this whole deal makes more sense. The cover could have been on crooked, a piece of the broken cover could have snagged the belt, his car wash could have caused water to run INSIDE the cover and cause havoc, any number of possibilities.

But the idea of chopping the old cover into pieces in order to remove it and reset the belt timing is mind blowing.

5. jkuk

jkuk Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    Full Name:
    John K

To clarifiy the confusion.

I have a 1991 348 TS with plastic timing belt covers.

Ferrari changed to this after initially starting production with the metal version in order to reduce noise (probably more like a cost reduction)

John

6. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    ShanB: Thank you. I have asked Ferrari UK for prices of the parts, hopefully I will receive them next week.
    I will see what I can do with the pictures.
    Maybe I should take a picture of my plastic cam cover :)

Have a nice weekend all of you. I will try to put all of this out of my mind until we start the repair...

Btw, this will cost a lot of money (which I did not plan for) but after about a week since it happend, I am more caoncerned about that I will not be able to use my beautiful car until about end of May...am I crazy or what?
    They really are addictive aren't they?

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Whatever happened on this 348? Is it on the road again? How many $$ thousands to repair?

8. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    I personally know someone with 4 Ferraris and his logic is exactly the same. He'd rather let it go 5 to 10 years rather than be changing a belt based on age that often when each of his cars isn't driven that much.

9. gredinger

gredinger Karting

Feb 19, 2004
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter Gredinger
    Update:
    I received the car about two weeks ago.
    It took us a while to get all the parts from Italy.
    16 intakes valves replaced along with all the gaskets etc +
    all fluids + new tensioners and belt (Of course)

Cost: Around 10k including labour. Parts only: 7-8k.

I am still a bit anxious everytime I start it (that's when the belt jumped).
    Now the only problem is the poor(!) weather in Sweden. Just raining all the time...