Help Identify This Gearbox | FerrariChat

Help Identify This Gearbox

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stibbett, Nov 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    So I bought this gearbox case listed as a 348 box. I've had it listed for sale here for a while and recently was told it's not a 348 box. Any ideas what it is from? I can't find anything with the numbers. A member here said it looks like a Mondial t Valeo box and posted this image attached. The other photos are my casing.

Anyone recognize it? I want to sell it but I guess if it's not a 348 casing I can't list it as such...lol.

-Simon

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. Rupp3r

Rupp3r Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    France
    Hello

I can't see obvious difference with mine (normal Mondial T) but perhaps the best way would be to identify it with the 6 digit reference written near the oil drain and just before the gearbox identification number.
    Mine is a 141685 .

3. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    The only numbers I can find on the whole thing are the ones in the photo I posted. :/

4. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    143542. It is a Mondial T gearbox, don't know about the Valeo version. The Mondial T had two styles of mounting the gearbox.
    Early cars had the "3P" mounting style which was two engine mounts plus one upper gearbox mount suspending it from a chassis
    cross member. The later and more common style was the "4P" style which had the two engine mounts plus two arms bolted to the triangular
    bosses near the front of the gearbox.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It seems that the F parts suppliers have omitted the part number for that gearbox casting from the SPC (so nothing comes up if you search on 143542), but the SPC figures show the physical differences that 4redude mentioned. The SPC figure that you posted (and what you have) is the 4P style. Here's what the 3P style looks like:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-t/gearbox-housing-and-interm-casing-valid-for-cars-with-3p.html

6. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    Interesting, thanks! So I'll assume it's a 4P style Mondial T gearbox case then and sell it as such.