Help identifying late 50s era Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help identifying late 50s era Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by mkingham, Sep 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    N.A.R.T., mcimino, ivo73 and 3 others like this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    mcimino, colombo2cam, ivo73 and 2 others like this.
  3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    very cool - what scale is that?

assume these are rare models?

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1:8 scale.
    Length is 54 cms.
    These promotional models were built in 1953 for Italian liquor company Toschi to celebrate Alberto Ascari's worldchampion wins.
    There are photos with Ascari and Enzo Ferrari with such a Toschi model (Ferrari 500 F2 single seater). From poor memory they are in one of the official yearbooks.
    No idea how many of these models were built 70 years ago. I have owned mine since 1969.

Marcel Massini

Tenney and readplays like this.
  5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Marcel, sometimes you can find accessories for the 500 F2 Toschi on ebay :
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/294914253340?hash=item44aa42621c:g:fgwAAOSwu4BV6Wqj&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoNmMR3wGYGMs2qmKFsTDiWzT8J%2Bg6crcruByP0FHEw9qHqvPBexVM2%2BFowqvdNcwop15WuCGQTab3pRXIYgWADy3rHov9O2ORdT%2B4WEq%2BKEVe6AyhJ49FyZU4uiCny7UYGvCuhrgHKKD%2FfZio08%2BfxUOodbOf4g5%2B2EsOrobc2u5mqI%2B9S4UaW3dKU2ml%2F2%2BtBQccuiZUlpoxQG4H%2BeaoFI%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8bvivPqYA

The history of my Toschi is the following.
    After the death of Pierre Marco, the last director of the Bugatti factory, his family dispersed all its archives and collections. Many things ended up in the trash. A friend of mine managed to recover some drawings and photos. There were sketches made by Ettore's hand. He also got this 500 F2 Toschi.
    Pierre Marco's son-in-law told him that the model had been offered to Pierre Marco by Enzo Ferrari himself. In 1980 I traded a Bugatti model for the Toschi.

Back to the Ellena...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am glad to see that you finally graduated to a 4-cylinder Ferrari, Marcel! Actually, it may have been your first Ferrari!

donv, readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But what about the time it crashed at Brands Hatch?

Marcel Massini and readplays like this.
  9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    What is the point deduction for those restoration errors? Are they properly identified in the IAC/PFA guidelines?

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    neat collectable - ill have to keep my eyes open for one!

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Open your wallet . . .

12. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    no doubt.....guessing values? with an unopened bottle ?

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I think that the chances of finding one with an original, unopened bottle are pretty slim. Estimate values are $2000-5000 depending upon condition, originality.

14. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    375+ likes this.
  15. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Ahem, as a Finn I just love booze - be it cherry brandy, I just love the smell of cherry brandy in the morning, the smell of victory - but I just have to point out that you are killing this thread. I'm afraid that the OP does not dare to come out and disturb you with some old Ferrari nonsense anymore. So be it.

Jack-the-lad and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    You're right kare. I'm the one who started talking about the Toschi. Sorry. As for the Ellena, I don't know. But someone will find.

17. Judyb

Judyb Rookie

Sep 26, 2022
    Lakeland Fl
    Full Name:
    Judy B Kingham
    I am the former owner of the 1960 ? Boano designed Ferrari. My husband purchased it used in West Palm Beach Fla approximately 196O. Unfortunately I do not recall the seller name but he was part of a bunch of amateur foreign car lovers who raced sport cars in various places in Florida such as Dunnellon, Sebring and Avon Park. Of course we used this car as an everyday street car.
    many people asked me how much mileage I got. They thought it was one of those little economy cars like a Fiat. With 12 cylinders I explained I got 7 mpg. When our first son was born in August 1961, there was no room under the hood to install AC. And the heavily upholstered Seats would fold forward , touching the baby seat every time I put on brakes So I requested a car that had AC and room for baby stuff. It was lots of fun to shift through hair turns and hear that unique sound only a Ferrari makes. We replaced it with a beautiful BRG 3.8 Jaguar sedan. Pretty sure the Ferrari went back to West Palm Beach exotic car dealer.

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you. Welcome to the forum.

19. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes thank you for the memories! Anyone familiar with the West Palm Beach connection?

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #46 Jack-the-lad, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    It might have been Gerry Sutterfield but I’m not sure he was down here that early. Of course, Briggs Cunningham was in Palm Beach, probably Jim Kimberly too. Charlie Kolb? The dealer in Ft. Lauderdale was Pleasure Cars, owned by Robert Publicker.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0847 GT.

Marcel Massini

readplays and donv like this.
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #48 miurasv, Sep 27, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    Mainly Pinin Farina designed and built by Ellena, the son in law of Boano, with Ellena taking over the Boano factory.

23. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    The "Boano" prototypes with slightly varying rear fender shapes were designed by Pinin Farina. Paperwork suggests they started construction of 9 cars late in 1955, but may have finished as few as three before construction was transferred to Boano where the design more or less seems to have drifted towards the final version.

Have never found any material on who designed the high roof update and a new dash in summer of 1957. The high roof mule or prototype had a badge, but it does not even remotely resemble anything I've ever seen so I'm leaning towards some relatively small workshop making commercial vehicle conversions. The car was photographed in the factory yard with Hawthorn kicking the tyres late summer 1957 (see post #15). Ezio Ellena took over Boano workshop about the same time when Felice Mario Boano was assigned to work under Fiat head of styling Dante Giacosa, which seems to be the reason the high roof is now carrying the name of Ellena. Boano was a very capable man, in earlier years he had revived Ghia, to save the widow from financial demise, as he put it.

readplays likes this.
  24. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Thank you for your great input! Do you have a recollection of what color the car and the interior was?

I also looked up some Florida-based names in my files in hope one might ring a bell: Bob Cressman, Phil Baumgartner, Walt Lenz, Robert Publicker, Jim Hunt, Lloyd "Lucky" Casner, Spencer Litchie, Gerry Sutterfield, Bill Frick.

readplays likes this.