Help me convince my parents to let me get a motorcycle. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help me convince my parents to let me get a motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Highlow, May 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Save some money to move out first then decide for yourself if you need a bike! NO PARENT(S) THAT I KNOW (INCLUDING MINE) WILL ALLOW THEIR CHILD(REN) TO USE A MOTORBIKE AS A MAIN SOURCE OF TRANSPORTATION!!! Its one thing for parents to purchase a "recreational" motorcycle but one that will be ridden on the street is different. Unless you come from a family of bikers or something!

+1 My parents got me into riding at the age of 5 on a 50cc Honda Dax "monkey rider". Been riding (secretly) on the street since as far back as I could remeber. Had my first "street bike" at the age of 16 and garaged it at a friends house cause my folks would kill me if they found out! They finally found out by accident (literally! Wired back, titanium rods, severe road rash, a few lacerasions and 3 days in a coma!!) that I've been street riding when I was 17. I see my children growing up pretty much like me, hardheaded little daredevils so no way will I ever buy them a street bike!!!

2. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    I haven't read the others comments

but I got a bike when I was 18 and my parents hated it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you just have to tell them it's your life, and if you earn the money for it go out and buy it. you have to tell them, if they love then that's what's gonna make you happy, happy is not controlling someone's life so they feel better, you just have to do what you have to do, nothing else will change a parents mind, just do it and tell them to respect your decisions if you old enough to work for it and make smart decisions ( grade / not doing drugs / paying bills....)

now on to bad stuff. motorcycle are at the mercy of other drivers. I've had my close calls in the couple years riding. now get a 250 or 600 and just keep the gas down, people say it's too much, well I think a mc laren is too much for anyone but people still drive them by doing 1/10th or 1/2 throttle. just be responsible and keep it in the low RPM's and don't be an idiot going 100+ down a 25

main thing I have to say is get as much safety courses you can in, don't do drugs or drink while on the bike and keep the throttle down for a year till you know how to control the thing and adjust to normal driving (there's alot of things you'll run into while on a bike, stopping on a hill and starting / stopping on pavement thats crooked / turns being sharper then expected...............................................)

just always remember to do what makes you happy, if you do what people tell you your whole life, you just wasted a life. If I could be the richest man on earth if I did what people told me, or have nothing and be free to do what I wanted, well I'd pick being a happy bum. don't let your parents stop your happiness or anyone for that matter AKA women coming up in your life, most of them are robber's of having fun

3. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I really like what you said in the last paragraph. And its all to true.

4. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    follow both of these suggestions

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I got my first bike when I was 18. Parents would never have helped me so I had to save and do it on my own. My mom did drive me to take the road test but other than that they've never approved. This isn't the place to be asking about bikes, because every car forum is filled with bike-haters who are just plain ignorant and view every motorcycle rider as someone who just wants to flirt with death at every corner.

Spend time on the sportbike forums. If your parents are against it don't force the issue, at least you know they care about you. Save and buy one yourself and then there's not much they can say. If they won't even let you keep the bike at your house (i have friends that pay more just to store their bikes somewhere b/c parents won't allow them to keep it at the house), look for storage or a friend. Bikes are easy to steal so don't leave it outside if you have another option.

GL and ride safe. Motorcycles are so much fun you won't regret getting one.

6. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Did you even read the rest of this thread??? There are plenty of people here, myself included, who OWN motorcycles, and are trying to help him out. At least the person who originally asked the question is smart enough to listen to all of the advice given here. Kudos to him - seriously.

7. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think you just need a lot of seat time in a car before you should consider getting a bike. Becoming a great defensive driver will save you on many accidents. Unfortunately it won't save you from all of them.

I'd probably own one if I lived in a small city with lots of wide open roads, but anyone who drives them around my city are nuts. I've seen way too many accidents(mostly right before my eyes) where someone made a mistake and involved another person. If it had been a motorcycle there instead of a car the person would most likely be dead or crippled for life.

Cars are unsafe enough as it is IMO. Get a dirk bike and have some fun.

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Go green. Get a Kawasaki. :D

Bikes absolutely, positively rock.

Your luck and/or judgment, on the other hand, may be a little off.

9. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    #59 Admiral Thrawn, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
    I agree with most of the moderate opinions here, but the above quote is just total nonsense.

The best drivers and riders in the world started when they were kids. They go professional, racing at the world level, in their teens, and reach the pinnacle of their sports (Formula 1, MotoGP) before they are ever 25 years old.

Studies have also found that reflexes have very little to do with what makes someone a great rider or driver and someone who is not. They tested Michael Schumacher, for example, and his reflexes were no faster than the average for a person his age.

Internalising bike control, knowing how to react to hazards on the road, and being able to do it without thinking, adapting your riding to the conditions, etc, is what makes someone a skilled rider less likely to kill themselves. This is achieved through a combination of talent, EXPERIENCE (some learn faster than others, but ultimately there is no substitute), and a constant willingness to analyse your riding, be self-critical and seek our knowledge to improve it. The learning never ends, you can always be better.

Also I don't agree with those who say "wait till 30". You learn much faster at a younger age and your skill is more likely to develop to a higher level if you start younger. You will be fitter, able to recover from injuries faster, etc.

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    #60 Admiral Thrawn, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
    Lastly I'd like to add, don't make a bike your sole source of transport. Why? Here are my reasons.

- How do you go to the shops and bring large bulky items home with you? Or if you need to transport large items from one place to another, in general. What about towing a trailer?

- How do you carry passengers? And don't say pillion, it makes the bike handle like crap, they have to have gear as well, most people ain't gonna do it, nowhere to put their stuff, still can only carry 1 person, etc...
    Also, what about taking girls on dates?

- Really bad weather. Sometimes I get up early in the morning, look outside and it is icy cold, windy, pouring with rain. As much as I love bikes, it's just no fun riding in those conditions, and very dangerous on public roads. You have all the oils, coolant, gravel, sand, etc that mixes with the water. Painted lines, grates and manhole covers are very slippery. Standing water. You're less able to dodge the moving chicanes (cars), not to mention you get soaked and freeze your ass off. Of the 3 times I've crashed my bike on public roads, every time was in the wet, from losing the front.

- Helmet hair, having to carry your gear around (useless when it comes to going to nightclubs, bars), getting sweaty on very hot days, etc.

So, as cool as bikes are, there are many reasons why you still need to have a car, and if I could only have one vehicle, like China's one-child policy, I'd have a car.

11. Many moons ago I had a Honda 550 ss and a friend had a 440 ltd Kaw. The bikes really didn't have much power and seemed harmless, especially the 440. My friend sold it to another friend who later ran off the road into a tree killing himself at 22 years old & the 20 year old girl riding it with him as well. A side arguement for this story is I have had friends killed in cars too, and still I use them. A few years ago I feel back in love with bikes and got a Ducati. It was a spectacular machine, but I did lay it down at slow speed, causing no damage to the bike , but busting up my knee. If you really must ride one, get all of the safety gear that you can. A helmet that is dot rated AND shnell rated. Leather gloves, leather jacket, riding boots, special pants like draging jeans which are made for going down. It's not a matter of if you will go down, it's a matter of when.

12. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That made me laugh because I just got done putting new tires on the 748 and went out for a test run. After making sure everything was okay I cranked it up to the ton. I only traveled about 3 miles from home. Still I had to see that triple digit on the speedo. Not safe and not smart but it is a motorcycle and I was in full gear. (Don't leave home without it)

My advice, don't get a bike just yet. If you have to have a motorcycle. Either get a dirt bike and a pick up truck. Or a track bike and a pick up. Either way you are not on the road and you can still have a blast. It is still not "safe" but it is safer than riding on the street.

13. sscheevel15

sscheevel15 Rookie

Jul 27, 2011
    My parents are letting me get a ninja 250. And im only 15. But I have different reasons.
    1. I have a diabetic brother who wont take me anywhere. So, I walk an average of 3 miles a day
    2. My parents are divorced and my dad works 8am - 7pm everyday and my mom works 8am - 10pm everyday.
    3. I applied for a hardship and couldnt get it.
    4. I just need something to take me to and from school everyday (about 1.5 miles)
    5. Lastly, in Texas you can get a bike at 15 aslong as it is under 250cc.

I am planing to take the MSF Course and many others. I have driven 4 wheelers, and a jeep around my ranch for years. I have 1500 saved up and am close to getting my bike!

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Pleased to meet you and best wishes on your quest.

Excellent synopsis and battle plan, through and through. You have obviously built character and gained wisdom through thought and observation while walking during these formative years, and no doubt noticed how important it is to Be Alert, Watch Out For The Other Guy And Stay Focused And Watch Out For The Other Guy.

15. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Personally, I think the minimum age for riding a motorcycle should be 25. Even people that age foolishly tend to get the latest 600 sportbike or big bore bike as their first bike, rather than something sensible like a cruiser, SV650 or EX500.

Teenagers and kids that want to ride motorcycles should get on dirt bikes. At least you will be far from cars and can crash more forgivingly and will learn skills that will make you a better road rider down the line. If you are young and must get on a road bike, I say only on a track.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i would lean strongly in this direction. i have raced in wera and ccs for many years as well and despite my skills at speed and even on the road...i too would never want to use a bike to commute. add to that that you would appear very responsible and level headed...it is a new world out there and the advent of the text message and the new and increased lack of driver focus would suggest to me that you really should hold off for a few more years.

if you love to ride you may consider motocross first. it is a great way to get your two wheeled fix and stay in shape. i would never steer away a young man from two wheels except where the street is concerned. there are better and safer ways to find good gas mileage. just my thoughts.

best,

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

btw...raptorduck (who posted before i did) has won many more titles than I have and therefore has far more basis to make any two wheeled suggestions than i.

you have some great guidance on this site...i do hope that when asking for opinions, you will listen to those that know. you have many years aboard scoots ahead of you!