Help me decide,...pre 89 countach or 512bbi | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help me decide,...pre 89 countach or 512bbi

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Oengus, Mar 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    365 BB > 512 BB

{Except in the flexible flier category}

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #27 miurasv, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    365 Boxer is the lighter, faster car but the 512 cars are better developed with a dry sump and easier to operate hydraulic, rather than a cable clutch.

G. Pepper likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have a Diablo Roadster, which has all the Countach issues solved in a prettier package. If prices keep trending down, a BBI is definately on my list, a Countach is not.

anunakki and G. Pepper like this.
  4. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Without the Countach Lamborghini would not have survived

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They sold an average of 133 Countachs a year for 15 years....and if you take off the 600 Anny cars that Chrysler pushed out the door at the end its 107 cars a year....hard to call that surviving.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #31 tbakowsky, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Without Chrysler, lambo would have never survived. Then Mycom Setdco bought them from Chrysler and gave us the diablo Roadster (cool car) then Audi came along, gave us the Diablo 6.0, and Murcialago, the rest is Volkswagen..

Makuono and Shark01 like this.
  7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    So without the Countach as a product to sell even in low volumes do you think Lamborghini would have survived?

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I believe it was a combination of both the Countach and Chrysler that saved them. I’m very glad they made it!

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I don't remember all the details, but back when I used to subscribe to several auto mags in the 70's to 90's, there was always drama surrounding Lamborghini and their financial viability. Lots of suitors, failed bids, and on and on. It's pretty much a miracle where they are now.

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #35 miurasv, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    You are all forgetting that it was Patrick Mimran that saved Lamborghini and that the Jalpa and LM002 were made as well as the Countach.

Shark01 likes this.
  11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And the Urraco in the mid-70s with the early Countach

12. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    For some reason, I just haven't been able to develop a love for the 512s after all these years. If I had to choose between a 512 and a Countach, I'd get a Testarossa. ;)

daytona355 likes this.
  13. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Boxer in any color other than red is to me one of the coolest and classiest cars out there. I'd pick that over a Countach anyday.

Makuono likes this.
  14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    hmm, back to chrysler and fiat war. I'd buy a 512BB, Testarosa and 328 (possibly also a 308) for what a countach costs, too many market makers riding the lambo train, google greater fool theory

daytona355 likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Can't be done, a 512BB and a later Countach are pretty much the same money in similar condition. That premium on the BB pushes me towards a BBi

ChipG likes this.
  16. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I would say consider your height and weight.

I loved the countach... until I sat in one. I did not fit.

It would be a BB for me.

Robb

anunakki likes this.
  17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Hmm... I guess I'm in a minority here. I almost bought a white on white 83 5000s back in 05. As soon as I got behind the wheel....I was like yes! ...this just feels right. I found it very comfortable to drive and liked its hardcore and brutal nature.
    The deal fell though because I could hear the TO bearing squeaking badly and they didn't what to drop the price. Their answer was...oh, no big deal, just pull the bell housing and put another one in. Umm... yeah, engine out lol
    Yep, car dealers are still the same as they ever were.
    Since business was booming in the housing market, I was able to step up to my dream of a Diablo VT Roadster and never looked back. Drove it as a daily driver for 10 years and put 72,000 miles on it.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Makuono, daytona355 and anunakki like this.
  18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Sorry to hijack. Did you have any major mechanical issues in the 72000 miles/10 years you had the Diablo VT?

Shamile likes this.
  19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    All Diablo VT Roadsters suffer from the burned out headers issue. Once you put the quicksilver ones on, you'll never have a problem again. The only issues were computer modules and the lack of them. I would burn out a GFA module every 3 years and could still buy spares. If you burned out an engine L or R ignition module, you're screwed.
    Other than that, rock solid reliable.....and I definitely cannot say that about the egear on my Murcielago Roadster.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daytona355 and miurasv like this.
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your reply.

Shamile likes this.
  21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    512bbi. loved it as a kid, bought it when i had the money, completely overhauled it before taking it on the targa florio/girol di sicilia.

it is NOT a heavier more powerful 328.
    it is a very potent car, with a race bred 180 deg 12 cylinder engine.
    put a decent set of bigger rims with new rubber, and you will lap almost as fast as a 430.

and the bbi is a much easier car to live with than the carbed version.
    and the 365 bb is badly designed - which is why they lengthened it for the 512.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I will respectfully disagree with my partying comrade....myself, nor anyone I've ever spoke with had to replace the headers. And the new factory restoration program has or will solve the computer module issues, if there were any to begin with.....again, I've never heard about a single Diablo rendered useless by not being able to obtain replacements.

A Diablo has a rock solid durable drivetrain, but don't get me wrong, all 20+ year Italian exotics need attention, particularly on rubber-based parts.......special cars for special people.

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Not to hijack this thread further but I will have to respectfully disagree with my fellow "when the doors go up....the panties go down " Lamborghini friend.

The headers are a known Roadster issue and that's why George Evans had them commissioned by Quicksilver. He had seen enough of this problem to create a fix for them.

As for computers, I have had many fellow owners quietly contact me about fixes since I was known to be one of the few people that worked on my own cars.

Technology moves at a rapid pace and perhaps now, there may be some fixes. After going through 3 GFA modules and having George Evan's microscope them, he said they couldn't be fixed as Lamborghini destroyed all the schematics.
    Maybe the new Lamborghini restoration facility has solved that now....I don't know.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #49 LightGuy, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    I drove them all when shopping for a Boxer. Had a check in hand when flying out to buy a 365BB then I drove it.

512BB > 365 BB > 512BBi.

Looking back $$$$ wise shoulda bought that slower 365 :(

25. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The 365 you drove may have been in a poor state/tune(?) as it is generally accepted as the lightest and fastest of the Boxers.