Help me decide,...pre 89 countach or 512bbi | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help me decide,...pre 89 countach or 512bbi

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Oengus, Mar 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #51 miurasv, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Agreed the injected 512BBi is much easier to live with over the Weber carbed previous 2 models including starting etc. Both the 512 Boxers actually benefit from developments over the 365 making them superior overall, despite being slightly heavier and slower cars, but may I ask what you mean by the 365BB is badly designed?

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Did some research using shop manuals.....the Roadsters use the SAME part number as all the rest of the 5.7 liter models that I have books for, so not a Roadster only issue if there is an issue at all. Of course Evans is a distributor for Quicksilver....so definitely a conflict of interest.

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    #53 Shamile, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Did some research? Bro, I did a whole thread on LP in which I did the headers swap myself. Everyone chimed in including the resident experts.

As far as calling George Evans out on a conflict is bs. Because he is east coast Lamborghini guru, he has pull with Quicksilver. He had them commissioned because of a known problem. There are no other aftermarket headers and who's going to make them for a car with only 434 /212 US cars made.

....and while the part numbers may show the same, , the headers are not. Again, this is all in the thread I created.

Also, not to completely hijack this thread, if the OP does go for a pre 89 Countach, George Evans is the man to seek out for advice, service and restoration on the Countach. A friend is currently having his Countach restored there.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    that comment pertained to the aesthetics.
    the 365 does not have as much room between the rear of the door and the rear wheel arch as the 512, and that makes it look awkward.
    the 512 design added a few inches and it all looks better.

5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Someone on this site once said that the Berlinetta Boxer's AC has the the cooling capacity of an asthmatic gerbil.

D'oh!

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #56 miurasv, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    I don't think a few inches were added between the rear of the door to the rear wheel arch on the 512 cars. That would give less space in the wheel well for the larger diameter 697mm (27.44") BB512 rear tyre over the 683mm (26.88") diameter 365BB rear tyre. Wheelbase is the same at 2500mm on all Boxer models.

If you look at the Boxers from the side as pictured below, the edge of the rear clam that meets the cabin bodywork is shaped differently on the 512 cars, with the line arrowed extending downwards at an angle towards the front, thus giving a wider area of metal on the clam side where it meets the rocker/sill area, whereas the 365BB line is more vertical, with a narrower area of metal on the clam side where it meats the sill/rocker area. Of course the cabin bodywork on the side is shaped differently to meet and fit it. This has been done to flare the wheel arch bodywork for the wider wheels and tyres of the 512 cars as well as adding the NACA ducts and flaring the sill area behind those. People have actually stated that the BB512i has a bit too much of a gap between the rear wheel and the bodywork. This is because although the lower 55 profile BB512i TRX tyre is the widest at 240mm, it is the smallest in diameter at 679mm (26.73").

IMO the 365BB is perfectly designed in this area and would be unjustified to call it badly designed, which implied the whole car was badly designed, over a minor bodily aesthetic detail. All Boxers are fantastic, beautiful and gorgeous!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shamile likes this.
  7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    upon looking at your pics, i believe you are correct, and it is just a visual thing.
    the 365 was redesigned elsewhere though, like the front spoiler, since air was coming in underneath and making the steering light at speed.