Help me find my Scud :( | FerrariChat

Help me find my Scud :(

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scudbud, May 24, 2022.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    Hey everyone,

This is my first post here, and unfortunately, it's out of desperation. I was fortunate enough to own a 2009 Daytona Nero 430 Scuderia for about a year. I decided that my garage setup at home wasn't quite sufficient enough to keep my baby safe, and hoping that I would have a better home in the future, decided to sell the Scud now and pick up another one down the road.

This is where things go downhill. I originally purchased the Scud from Excell Auto Group in Boca Raton, FL back in January of 2021. They seemed to be pretty helpful and were fast about getting me my title, so I decided that I wanted them to consign the car for me and sell it now. On 2/9/22, my car was picked up by a transporter and on its way to Florida. Got a text from a salesman at Excell that they had found a buyer sometime around 3/21 or so. Fast forward to Today, and I still have not received any payment for my car. Now if you've been keeping up with dealerships involved in scams, you will recognize the Excell Auto Group name. Regardless, that's not what this post is about. I'm here in hopes that someone can connect me with the person that purchased my car. I still have the title and it seems like the new owner cannot register it or title it. The last activity on Carfax shows the car registration being renewed on 3/16, but no new title issued. I am hoping that I can get in touch with the new owner and resolve the payment/ownership issue outside of all the scam BS that the dealership was running. Since the Scud is such an awesome car, I'm hoping that the new owner has some friends or fellow car enthusiasts that recognize the car and can get us in touch with one another. I'll post some pics of it here in hopes that someone has seen it since February and can help out. VIN is ZFFKW64A690166647 Any info you all have is greatly appreciated.

Side note: Do not consign your car if you absolutely do not have to. I was naïve and trusted these people way more than I should have. If you do consign it, do not sign any sales paperwork until you have the money in your bank account. I did not do this in person because I'm located in CA and the car was sold in FL, but in hindsight the $500-$600 flight would have been totally worth it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, JDZNate and anunakki like this.
  2. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Beautiful car, shame what happened. Will keep my eyes and ears open

scudbud likes this.
  3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow, that sucks.
    Any chance your insurance will cover this as a theft?

4. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    It gets kind of tricky since this is technically a civil matter. I thought about asking my insurance if it would be covered, but I want to get in touch with an attorney first to make sure I don't put my foot in my mouth

ddrewesusa and 308 milano like this.
  5. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    After this and CNC motors I cannot imagine why anyone would take the risk of consigning a car with any dealer that isn’t Ferrari (or whatever factory-branded dealer for the car you’re selling). Really sucks that it happened to you, I hope you’re able to resolve it somehow.

ddrewesusa, njcycleguy and ryalex like this.
  6. dariedell

dariedell Karting

Jul 12, 2021
    United States
    Full Name:
    Andrew Riedell
    Does it say which state? If it stayed in south Florida, I take a lot of photos at car events down there and can check my archives if this car popped up at any.

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Wow, that really sucks… both for you and the buyer. I hope you can recover it soon! Best of luck!

8. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    This is a bad story made especially worse since the market is up and you'd have sold that Scud easily on your own without having to consign it.

I would think you could report the car stolen at this point.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've always been confused by this issue.

legal guy in SCM (as i recall) wrote a piece on titles and BOS.

ownership transfers with a BOS and a title is just a security (lien) instrument?

10. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    Sorry, what is SCM? I got that BOS means bill of sale

11. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    The car cannot be reported as stolen unfortunately because it was a consignment. Fact is, never do a consignment outside of an OEM dealer where the OEM verifies the dealer's financials and holds a bigger card than you do, the franchise agreement. Excell and CNC are not new to fraud in exotics. This has been going on for decades in the exotic world. There are lots of these independent exotic dealers around the country. Very few of them operate differently than Excell or CNC in how they handle sales, titles, etc. While most aren't crooks, you have virtually no protection unless they use an escrow service. There is an exotic independent in Raleigh NC I contacted about consignment with escrow services. They do not use escrow and refused to use escrow. For me, that is a deal breaker. Escrow adds a layer of protection. Buyer pays the escrow agent, usually a lawyer or bank (I would prefer a bank serving as an escrow agent). Escrow agent holds title or rights to transfer title. Escrow agent receives payment from buyer, transfer's payment to seller, releases title to buyer and pays consignment dealer with excess proceeds. The only consideration for the escrow agent is a fee with the sale. That fee is small for the protection it provides both buyer and seller.

ddrewesusa, ShineKen and njcycleguy like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Car was not stolen, but you are the owner of the car and you should reposses it ASAP. You are correct, they cannot register it but time is not your friend. There is a guy on You Tube (Matt Salvo) who was a “buyer” in the CNC affair and you should reach out to him.

I would lawyer up and get a PI to track down your car.

JDZNate and ddrewesusa like this.
  13. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    Solid advice. I literally have call with a lawyer today and he was mentioning using his investigator to locate the car as the first step

ddrewesusa and Shark01 like this.
  14. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    Yeah I definitely won't be consigning anything in the future. The only thing that motivated me to do consignment were the comically low offers from places like ILusso and I believe it was auction.com. Most were not willing to offer anything more than $175k

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    After the Excel guy declares and files bankruptcy, so many things are removed from your control, and you will end up on the bottom so the time to act is now.

ryalex likes this.
  16. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    It shows that it was renewed by the DMV of Florida, but is their office in Atlanta, GA? I'd appreciate you keeping an eye out. Pretty easy config to spot since it's black and has yellow calipers. Interior is the textile black seats with white stitching.

17. scudbud

scudbud Rookie

Feb 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Timothy Olesijuk
    Actually I think it means the car is in Atlanta, GA. I was looking at the transfer of ownership when I purchased the car and it shows Florida DMV and then the city that I registered it in

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    sports car market

john draneues (sp?) is the legal writer

19. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    110%. I began writing this earlier but then didn't want to sound too preachy. I cannot understand why on earth people would send a car across the country to what is essentially a used car dealer. I've consigned several Ferrari's but only thru my local Ferrari dealer. Everything else that's been sold thru independents or brokers has been a wire first, title second, car third type deal.

Title or not, once that car leaves your garage, it's out of your possession. And if you did as the OP did, it's unable to be easily picked up if something went south.

To the OP - have you considered all the dealers in South Florida and see if they will put the car on a watchlist in case someone brings it in for service? Also maybe call some of the bigger independent repair shops as well? Too bad you didn't throw an AirTag in it.

JDZNate likes this.
  20. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Bring a Trailer auction site is what many people use. Usually brings top dollar for nice specimens and you're in control of the transfer.

21. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    To add onto this, many insurance companies will not cover consignment damage and the independent dealer's insurance does not cover it either unless its part of a floor plan which nearly none of them are.

22. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    usually? 99.999% of the time

23. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    BaT has failed auctions as well. Certainly more than .001%, but no risk of fraudulent transfer.

BJK likes this.
  24. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    For this era, DeMuro's Cars & Bids is a solid option too.

Hope you get your car back.

25. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, this sucks. Good luck to you in the recovery process.