Help me find this 1954 Ferrari Vignale Cpe | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Help me find this 1954 Ferrari Vignale Cpe

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by srslusso, Aug 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Gilles, your pic show 0069S 's grill in 90's period (Barchetta.cc pic).

When the car was owned by Meyer (Prunet book), it had a cavallino in front grill.

2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    In Marcel's Vignale book on page 76 there is a pic of 069S when it was owned by Fred Herdeen in the period 1959 through 1975. It coincidently shows the same sort of front fender foglights and the same position and model of external mirrors.

3. magnumram56

magnumram56 Rookie

Aug 21, 2005
    I have seen this Vignale Coupe in Castroville California - it is currently being used as an artichoke planter in a ranch's front yard. It was last seen on the road at Hot August Nights in Reno, 1999 with spinners and fuzzy dice.

I asked the rancher what he'd take for it - $50 (and haul the dirt).

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Are you sure this is the same car? Does it have an engine? How come nobody has bought it yet? Including you!

5. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I dont think he's serious. :)

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

Yeah. Tom would have found it by now :D

7. John Ellis

John Ellis Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    Prunet 'The Road Cars' at page 37 shows 045S 'recognisable by its flat rear flanks' to be identical to the mystery car.

Cheers

John Ellis

8. John Ellis

John Ellis Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    Whoops! Sorry, I didn't want to send you all around in another circle!

The point is that the mystery car and the Prunet photo both have flat rear flanks i.e. the style line down the side fades out at the rear wheel arch instead of continuing to the tail light.

Cheers

John Ellis

9. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Dear Everyone thank you for all your help, I have just returned from Pebble Beach where I spent much of the time asking everyone at Concorso Italiano, the Vintage Races, and the Concours for their help locating the Vignale Coupe and the help of anyone they knew anywhere in the world, who might be of some assistance.
    My laptop crashed due to an overloaded hard drive from all the photos I took, so I have not been online for the last few days. Thanks to everyone who let me look at their computers for a minute or two to check what was happening in the scearch.
    I recontacted the owner of the car and after some thought and surprise that all of us in the world of Ferrari had narrowed down the search to so few cars, added a few points.
    1. He may have acquired the car a little later then 1957 possibly 58 or 59.
    2. He will search his "huge" well filled garage for any document that may contain the serial number, ie. a registration,insurance form, Bill of Sale, repair bill etc.
    3. More important his Wife will search her old records in the hope of finding something with the serial number, possibly a more likely seniario.
    4. He suggested we try and contact Max Baer jr, the movie actor he sold the car to, or to examine any records or cars for hints that Max Baer owned it.
    5. I now think that the possibility exists that the front end was modified re the front hood detail and grill after it left the factory. I know it is sacreligeous to say so, but I think the modified hood looks better then the way Vignale styled it and it appears to be an easy Bondo fix.
    6. One Expert mentioned that in California at that time, when a car did not have its original engine: ( remember the Ferrari engine was replaced by the Corvette motor !)the Department of Motor Vehicles often stamped its own serial number on the frame and engine for purposes of identification. I had never heard of such a thing, but I was very young at the time.
    Thank you to one of the older Ferrari experts who was judging at Concorso Italiano and said it was definitly not 071S as he knows that car very well and it has been restored and raced by its Wisconsin owner for approximatly 10+ years.
    I was not able to reach Mr Massini or Tom Shaunessey personally face to face but a few of the exhibitors said they would speak to each of them personally.
    thanks again, lets find it Forza !
    steve

10. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    This is a good very idea, please try!!!

FWIW, I think 067/S is another strong candidate. It has been lost since Coppa Intereuropa (07/sep/52) and may have been exported into USA as the engine has surfaced there. This suggests the chassis may also be in USA and it may have been using another (Ferrari or non-Ferrari) engine.

Today the remains (?) of this car may be sitting in a barn somewhere or then it may have been crushed for scrap metal. As far as I know it has never surfaced.

Best wishes, Kare

11. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I am back online back in Pebble Beach again after a fast run to Los Angeles on Hwy 5.The speed limit at night is almost like the Autobahn. A quick flight to Portland, Oregon for a golf Tournament then an 800 miler run back to Pebble Beach for another tournament this week. I could have used a Ferrari for the trip Western Oregon is pretty and so is much of Northern California. Unfortunately Budget rent a racer didn't have one available !
    I will contact the owner to see if we have found the serial number then post it if found in the next day or two
    thanks again

12. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I read on page 2 (I think) of this thread that Tom Shaughnessey now owns 0313?? My Dad used to own that car back in the late '50's/early '60's (see PH #125). I spoke ot Tom once several (seven??) years ago and as I recall he had engine #0313 for another Europa. I hope he's remarried the car and engine to make it whole again.

Also, if Tom reads this, any chance you might be willing to send a pic or two? I know my Dad would love to see it again (although the last pics we got from a previous owner in the early '90's didn't show it as being in all that great shape - and it does seem to pop up in Hemmings every now and then....). If only money were no object.....

Thanks a lot!

George P.
    [email protected]

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I believe Max Baer Jr passed away a few years ago...

14. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    No mention of his passing on imdb.com or his wikipedia entry.

Erich
    "e's not dead yet"

15. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I own the two other Vignale one-offs
    250 Europa 0313EU and
    375 America 0337AL

16. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    It has 38 years since my neighbor sold the Now likely to be 1951 Vignale coupe and he has owned many cars since and has accumulated a lot of paperwork. He assures me he is still looking for something with the original serial number on it, but just has not located it yet. Assuming that it is one of the very few serial numbers we have narrowed it down to; does anyone have knowledge of their whereabouts today ?
    We have eliminated 071s, but does anyone have any further information on the others ?

17. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Dis you look in Marcel Massini's Vignale book to see if your neighbors name is listed on one of the 8 or 9 candidates?

18. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I do not have a copy of it. I would owe you a big favor if you would look. I am going out of town Wednesday.
    Also do you know anything of Lusso SN# 5081 which has a 330 engine and is restored and For Sale her in Southern California ?

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    As far as I can tell, no help provided by the book. Very few early US owners are listed there and those having been associated with early Vignale Coupes have already been meantioned in this thread. Best wishes, Kare

20. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I am headed to the FCA National Meet this week in Virginia,if anyone has thought of any other information on this car, Please get in touch with me @ 818 378-0605
    steve

21. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Since Marcel his posted his recent information on Vignale Coupes. I wonder if anyone has any information on this Vignale bodied Ferrari we are still looking for.

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    A few comments on the possible # for this car. Unlike your car, my pictures of #0059 show no Vignale badge at the bottom of the front fender just in front of the door. The bumpers are missing but there is a hole for the engine hand crank in the right place.#0059 has unique rear brake/directional lights.The car is red and the date of the pictures is unknown.My pictures of #0045 show the correct knoch in the front bumper for the engine hand crank. The Ferrari nose badge is in the same place as your car. as are the Vignale badges.#0067 has a confusing history with #100E which was always a barchetta reportedly renumbered to #0067.However it was listed as #100 when entered in several races in the U. S in 1952 The Vignale berlinetta has been"lost" since it was reportedly exported to" eather the U.S. or South America ".If you can establish that this is the car in your picture there would be much interest resulting. So far my bet is on #0045 with the changes in the front of the hood.If you can find pictures of the back end of your car we can compare the rear lights with the ones on #0059. Anyhow please post any further info you can get on the car in your picture and I will be glad to try to figure this out. just one man's opinion tongascrew

23. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    We have no photo other then this one, but from memory the tail lights were very small and I may recognize them.

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Do you remember if the tail lights were a single small round lense or did they have two lenses one over the other [red over yellow] with a very nice chrome frame.. Let me know. thanks tongascrew

25. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    I recently went to Goodwood and the Ferrari Owners Club of GB National Meet and asked all of the knowledgeable people there and no one was familiar with it but we are still looking, the consensus is she is a 1950 Coupe and the top of the nose was modified very well. Gene did the engine swap himself without Sal DeNatale's help but did have some work done by a shop in Encino,Ca. (?? Larry Crane ??) Is there any information on him available ?