Help me find this 1954 Ferrari Vignale Cpe | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Help me find this 1954 Ferrari Vignale Cpe

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by srslusso, Aug 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hlbeckley

hlbeckley Rookie

Jun 12, 2008
    Johannesburg, South
    Full Name:
    Heath
  2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    A few years ago I wrote to Max Baer, Jr., but never got an answer. Most likely he doesn't have a record of the S/N, or is too busy to look, or someone tossed my letter in the round file. The least probable: He still has it salted away somewhere, which might result in a barn find if someone more interested than I were to chase him. Did I get your attention?

3. RGraham

RGraham Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    I owned that car in the early 1960s. I lived in Studio City, CA, at the time. It was registered as a 1954 Vinale Coupe. It was hand built for the actress Anna Magnani and shipped to Sweden. It was the only one ever built. I bought it equipped with a 283 Chevy small block and Power Glide transmission. It had the stock Ferrari differential and would snap axels with all that torque. I had Car Craft Engineering cut down a Chevy rear end to handle my lead foot. They mated the Chevy axels to the splined axle ends for the chrome borrani wire wheels. It came, separately, with the original Ferrari V-12, equipped with four Weber downdraft carburetors, dual magnetos, and the five speed transmission. Stupid me, I sold the engine and trans to a guy for $500.00. He needed it for it's gaskets. I still kick myself! I often thought the engine, with all it's waffle patterned, cast fins, would have made a great coffee table...

The car did not have the air inlets at the front of the grill and did not have a crank hole in the grill or an indentation in the front bumper. It had Marcel headlights, 6V bulbs and a three prong star behind the glass lenses. All electrical was converted to 12V.

I wrote the Ferrari factory trying to get some information on the car. They wrote back, saying only, "Please send pictures". After sending the photos, they said they thought the car no longer existed, that it was the only one ever built and gave me the information about Anna Magani.

With the heavier engine, it was an ill handling car, but I was never beaten in a straight line! I traded the car to a guy for his Porsche Speedster... I wanted to race in SCCA's E Production class. I don't remember his name, but the last I heard, he ran it into a deer in Texas and the car was totaled. Having watch Barrett Jackson, no Ferrari is ever really totaled. Can't imagine what that car would be worth today! : (

I worked with Max Baer Jr. on the Beverly Hillbillies and to my knowledge, he never owned this car.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #79 BigTex, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    Welcome and many thanks for your GREAT post!!!

It depends upon what else you hit, after the deer......LOL!

That kind of car would definately stand out in a wrecking yard, but with an uninterested audience might well have met the crusher anyway.....

5. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    H, got any pictures?? Please post. thanks just one man's opinion tongscrew

6. RGraham

RGraham Rookie

Apr 21, 2011
    #81 RGraham, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is in reply to Kare Pietila's questions:

I find your memories very interesting and the story points suggests the car might have been 067/S originally owned by Bianca Maria Piazza in Switzerland/Italy. I am a little confused about the Anna Magnani connection, but on the other hand why not - she was a big star and is known to have owned (another) Ferrari in 1952.

I am also a little confused by your comments over lack of crank hole and indention on bumper. This car - and cars with this body style more or less always had these details. Are you 100% sure this is your car? The stories fit together very well. I guess you don`'t have any pictures?

Do you remember who you bought it from? A name "Gianulli" has been mentioned - do you remember if the seller was an Italian emigrant/heritage?

Kare (and srslusso)-

The only thing I know about Anna Magnani is what Ferrari told me. Not being into foreign films at the time, I'm not sure if I even knew who she was.

As for being sure the car had no crank hole or indention in bumper, it was almost fifty years ago and I'm not absolutely "positive" about anything that happened back then. I was a hot rodder, not a car collector. The car had a light weight aluminum body, a light weight tube chassis and a big Chevy engine... all factors a hot rodder would want. I'm as sure as I can be, after fifty years, the car had no hand crank. It would have stuck in my mind that someone would actually want to crank start a 283 Chevy engine! Really don't know why anyone would want to crank a Ferrari either...

Several years after selling the car, I tried to find pictures of it, as I hadn't taken any myself. I've looked in many Ferrari books, even Googled it (that's how I found this site) and have seen many similar cars, but never any pictures of the exact car. I was excited to find someone looking for the car, as they might have pictures of it, but I guess not.

I don't remember who I bought the car from, but they could have been Italian. I remember the garage where I found it had several Italian cars... I remember a Fiat Abarth Zagato Coupe which I thought was really cool, as there was one racing in SCCA at the time. Being 6'2", the bumps in the roof still wouldn't have given me enough headroom with a helmet on.

Anyway, I hope srslusso tracks down the car and maybe will share photos of it. Best of luck.

Attached is a picture I found on your site that is very similar to the grill on the car I owned.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #82 El Wayne, Nov 24, 2012
  8. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I'd say 0061S.

All of the other cars of this early body style (045S, 0051S, 0059S, 0062M, 0067S, 0069S, 0071S and 083S) all had the inset scoops between grille and engine lid, the groove down the sides, the profile of the side windows and have photos to show it in Massini's book, yet the only one built amongst this group - and would more than likely share a similar style - is not represented photographically.

Where else is there a photo of 0061S?...

9. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #84 Aardy, Nov 25, 2012
    0061/S is most probably this Vignale coupe shown in all books as "0127/E" (which is almost impossible as 0127/E is a 1951 serial number and this design is a 1950 one...)

I'm convinced the "unkown" Vignale coupe of this thread is 0067/S...

10. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Definitely not that car !!
    Could it be a body by Touring that we thought
    Was by Vignale all this time ?
    Grill and front of hood seemed as per photo
    Not as a modification done later.
    Does anyone know if John Barnes of Cavallino
    Reads FChat ?
    Maybe a photo in Cavallino would help
    Us find the car ?

11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #86 Aardy, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    Where did I say my drawing shows the car of this thread ?

I said :

- my drawing probably shows 0061/S (the sister car of 0065/S).

- the Vignale coupe of this thread pictured in post #82 is probably 0067/S...

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    But 0067S has the indent scoop between the grille and engine lid. The original photo at the beginning of this thread doesn't have it.

Although there is always the possibility it would have been filled in due to a repair from accident damage...

13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Sorry Peter but the nose of our unkown Vignale coupe is clearly not original...

14. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #89 Aardy, Nov 26, 2012
    If you look carefully the line in the flank (in red in the picture), you will see each car has its own shape and I would say the coupe of this thread is not in the list below (0045/S, 0059/S, 0069/S and 0071/S).

Now, compare our unknown coupe with an old picture of 0067/S. For me, the line perfectly fits as it's high and ends in the middle of the rear wheel arch like 0067/S...

15. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    This is the car for sure !!!!! Now we need details from Texas
    Steve

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    True, but well done though. There are many "nose jobs" out there that have terrible shape and form.

I see it as well.

17. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Does anyone know her location today ? Barchetta.cc listed her in Japan in Kazumi Araki's collection in March at the Ferrari Racing Days at Suzuka . Was any photo taken we could see ?
    Does anyone have an email address for him?

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #93 El Wayne, Nov 28, 2012
    Here you go:

19. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  20. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Thanks for the recent pictures. In going thru this thread there were questions regarding the engine and chassis stampings. I have pictures of both showing 0069 indicating the original chassis and engine are together. tongascrew

21. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Now I wonder who reunited engine and chassis and where she has been all these years ?
    Can anyone fill in history with photos or details.

22. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Does anyone have contact with any Ferrari enthusiasts that were there in the90s?

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  24. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Upon seeing all of the photos on the talacrest website, a few questions come to mind as to weather or not this is the correct car. Several details of the trunk lid taillights interior grab handle for passanger, which have been changed in restoration haunt me.
    Does anyone have additional photos of this car when she was in the USA ?
    The car must have been shown or raced in the US or while being restored.

Marcel Massini can you help ?

25. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    After looking at the photos of 069s on the Talacrest website I think we are looking for 067s the opening to the trunk was in the center of the trunk lid, the interior was never white or that light a color, the car was Red not wine when Gene owned her, so why would the color have been changed ?
    Is anyone in contact with Fred Herdeen of Long Island or Al Meyer of Port Washington,Wa. or have any period photos of their collection with this car in it.
    The one thing Richard's post established was that he owned Genes car after Gene sold it. I have tried to contact him as to more info but have not been able to reach him.