Help me please!!!!!!! | FerrariChat

Help me please!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve328gts, Aug 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve328gts

Steve328gts Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    I just got my 1987 328gts so driving it home for the fist time all is well then after about 100 miles of driving it started to lose power id say about 30% and the sound of the engine got a little Quiet, in lower gears the power comes and go's but only for a moment. When I got home I let it cool for about a hour. Then started it up a very sluggish start I may add. I then placed my hand over the Exhaust pipes and the right pipes are blowing much stronger then the left?
    Please tell me what you guys think it may be ? I'm very upset becouse I just got it yesterday and where I live there are no ferrari services.

2. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    My first guess is that you lost half the bank either front or rear and are only running on 4 cylinders. Maybe the digiplex went out on that side; Here I am assuming there is a left and right ECU - never owned a 328. But did have this issue on a 308QV. See if you have spark on both banks. I would not drive the car in this condition as you will be putting raw fuel into the exhaust headers and can melt them.

Good Luck,

Drew

3. scorpion

scorpion Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2004
    Kentucky
    Check the high tension leads. I had a very similar thing happen to me. When I bought my 308, after trailering the car home, when I started it up it was running on four cylinders. It ran perfect when I loaded it. One of the high tension leads had vibrated loose during transporting. Rattached it and no problem. Quick, easy and free fix but nerve racking until I figured out the problem.

4. Steve328gts

Steve328gts Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    What and where is the hight tension lead? How would I check it?

5. troyce

troyce Karting

Jul 19, 2014
    East Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Troyce Walls
  6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That will do it. I had a 328 that only ran on one bank and everything looked great, but testing with a meter found the rotor grounded to the cam.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    The stock US 328 exhaust system has a single inlet muffler so even if you lose a bank of ignition it has no effect on the ratio of what comes out the tailpipes (and the muffler is asymmetric inside so even when all is OK the tailpipe flows are unequal).

The stock euro 328 exhaust system has a dual inlet muffler, but is also asymmetric inside so unequal flow at the tailpipes is normal.

What version 328 do you have? Do you have a modified and/or aftermarket exhaust system (i.e., look at your muffler -- if it has a single inlet, almost no need to worry about what's happening at the tailpipes)? Agree with the others -- if it runs weakly, but smoothly = top suspect has to be a lost bank of ignition (and a MicroPlex-equipped 328 has fewer items that can cause that vs a DigiPlex-equipped 308).

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Just another way of saying- set of spark plug wires that go from the distributors to the coils on your left hand side of the engine bay. Make sure they’re secure.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

So also check the relays & connectors under the luggage compartment. under the carpet on the passengers side, you can pull up the carpet pad, there are 4 bolts - think they are 13 mm bolts, un screw them and lift out the plate. there are several relays there - one relay is pretty large, ensure that it is seated in the socket, and that the fuse is also good. a lot of time that relay can wiggle out of position and it gives you a very poor performing engine.... stumble etc...

then also check the fuses in the fuse panel under the dash. you loosen the cover but un doing the two knurled knobs on the bottom of the dash.

the exhaust pipes are functioning as normal - one is direct from the front bank the other goes along way around so the back pressure is usually stronger on the right side.

only after you check the electrical connections would I start looking at the coil, and distributer. - unless that picture of your rotor arm is yours...

10. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    The OP posted this back in 2013,hope he got the car sorted.