Help me purchase my first (pre-owned) Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help me purchase my first (pre-owned) Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ChimpanZed, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    How big are your feet? The footwell in a TR is on the tight side. Out of those choices I'd go for the 360.

2. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Great post. For the cars mentioned I would do 430 all day. I like the design and there is better tech. A late 360 would be fun too but slower. The Shelby you owned would be faster by a lot. Some have put icomments about Porsche which is not a Ferrari but at the same time a very special car. I’ve owned several. For the money you want to spend, a 997.2 turbo s would give you way more power than any of the Ferraris you’ve listed and handle for days in the canyons with very low maintenance. Not sure about the 991.1 turbo and turbo s prices being in your budget, but if they were, I would look there as well.

IMHO, I think you should look at whether you want a new(ER) car with modern handling and convenience vs. an older car. And I think that’s why some of us have pushed the Porsche button. I had a 575M for 5 years. It was a beautiful car and I did enjoy the car; got compliments wherever I went. However, I would not buy one again. I don’t have any standout negative experiences in the car. It just didn’t do for me what I wanted it to do.. it had old tech, F1 transmission was vey slow and the car wasn’t as great as I was hoping for in driving experience. Repair costs were astronomical and I only drove the car occasionally. I had a bunch of small things that aged out, and I always had to ask myself was it worth it to fix it. I would do a very careful search on repair costs and maintenance costs as they will bite you hard if you aren’t careful. For example, in Los Angeles, I went to a local independent shop that was highly regarded here in Los Angeles; even on F-Chat! They diagnosed my car with a leaky front left shock. Replacement cost was about $4500. For only one shock plus labor. They also recommended a number of other things as well. I went here to the 575 section and asked for a cheaper alternative. A couple of guys chimed in and told me that power steering hoses fail in the car and leak onto the front shocks and give it the appearance of impending failure. I took the car to a different shop and asked them to take a look at the car, withholding the information about the ps lines, and they correctly diagnosed the power steering problem and that was fixed at a relative discount for $2800 plus labor. Just part of ownership and I kept that car in great condition. Had whatever my mechanic needed done, done,

after a while I found myself driving the car less and less. When I went for a sports car drive, I chose a different car. It didn’t do it for me, I think maybe if it was a manual, I might have a different conversation right now. In the end, it was a great car but it didn’t check all the boxes for me. What I realized was I wanted a new(ER) car with the tech and I purchased one. If you want that in the ferrari world, I think the options are an FF or a California.

If you are looking for an old(Er) car, then the options you’ve listed are pretty good ones. To me, they are all gorgeous and yet, not quite classic. When I think of classic Ferrari, I’m thinking 60s and early 70s. Those were magical years for design and aesthetic. The Miami vice era gave us the testarossa which is iconic and coupled with the countach, they were the posters in my room growing up. They IMO are aging well and always get a good look. I don’t have any experience with the tr or 360, but my brother had a 430 and that car was quick and fun and an eye turner. I loved the way the car sounded and it was a FERRARI!|

in the end, i think if you are going to choose ferrari, get a well sorted car that you feel passionate about and understand what the true costs of ownership are so you don’t end up getting disenchanted with the marquee. If I was going to buy a $100,000 sports car, I would buy Porsche and drive it every day. Just my 2 cents. YMMV. Cheers.