News

HELP: Mondial 3.2 backfire/stumble/running lean after 3K rpm

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by LA_Rari_22, Feb 13, 2021.

1. LA_Rari_22

LA_Rari_22 Rookie

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Len U
    I wish it was that, prob wudda been fixed a long time ago. I actually first replaced both ignition modules first (the generics). no luck so I replace both coils ($$ btw) which comes with the original module. it wasn't ignition related. thought it was that actually. its the fuel distributor for me, been doing the Techron slow flush which has been working so far.

soucorp likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good to know, since I've had my car, the ignition module and clutch slave cylinder leak was the only 2 issues and I was able to fix it myself along with DIY cam belt replacement. She starts up 1st time everytime. Hope you get it sorted out.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I have also had a problem with an ignition module. The symptom displayed was an intermittent loss of 1 bank of cylinders. The car basically became a 4 cylinder. There were no backfires, but it was really down on power.

I replaced an entire coil unit. I probably could have gotten away with just the little black ignition module for $20. Ducati motorcycles, and many other vehicles use this same part.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    The trick with checking them is to start the car from cold, ie next morning . Then drive it until the backfiring starts, stop the car with engine running- see if one coil has a temp difference by hand. The warmer one is breaking down and might be source of your problem if coil related

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    What I did for testing was to swap the coil positions. When I started losing the other bank, I knew it was a faulty coil assembly.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Rookie

May 13, 2016
    Uk
    I was lucky with mine as it was very obvious by the temp diff. I was 3 hours from the dealer plus a 4 hour ferry ride and they put me onto this test to see if it helped.

9. LA_Rari_22

LA_Rari_22 Rookie

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Len U
    UPDATE

Jkstenvens2... After a month of running the car (about 1000 miles) almost daily and using Techron, the problem never went way. The only way I could get the car running decent is by adjusting the lean/rich screw near fuel distributor and setting it to rich. As a consequence, I began experiencing hard warm starting and after a while some bogging when cold. I replaced the WUR with a rebuilt unit and it made it obvious that problems were within the fuel distributor.

I have sent mine out to Larry at CIS flow tech per your recommendations (4-6 weeks wait)... I hope this will solve the issues.

spicedriver... I tried the Techron and it slightly helped in the beginning but eventually got worse towards the end.

to be continued...

10. moysiuan

moysiuan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Went through the same process on my 1988 3.2, thinking it must be spark. The rebuilt fuel distributor will solve for things. You should change spark plugs and the O2 sensor while you wait, they will no doubt be badly fouled from the prior poor running.

Any car with the original fuel distributor internals after 32 years should do the rebuild. There are rubber parts in there, and it is amazing they last as long as they seem to.

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The only problem I've had that got worse over time, and needed to have the mixture richened, was the accumulator. But you've said that was replaced already. Another possibility is a vacuum leak.

Hopefully, the rebuilt fuel distributor will fix the problem, or at least eliminate that as the cause.

12. To remove this ad click here.