Help, my radio is speaking German | FerrariChat

Help, my radio is speaking German

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Mar 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    So I was trying to figure out how to delete the old phones from the bluetooth and reset the radio. Now it's in German and according to Becker only Ferrari can fix this. Is this true?

Does anyone know how I switch this back to English?

Thanks,
    Corey

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Welcome to the I reset my radio club. Same thing happened to me, my radio would only display German.
    To reset back to english you need the Ferrari navigation compact flash (CF) card. Once you have the card inserted in the slot behind the volume control, you will be able to go into the settings function (upper left button ) and select english. without the card, you cannot change the language.
    Very few cards are available, I just checked eBay and i didn't see any.

Alternatives: find a used 6112 on eBay or in the for sale section on FChat, go to an aftermarket radio or learn to speak german.

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Is it just a CF Card or do I also need the system CD? Can the dealer do this or will they make me buy a CF Card?

Thanks,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You may need a CD of the same rev, Im not 100% sure on that. Do you have the CD that came with the car?

When I turn the power off to the car like when I recently changed the battery, the radio asks for the CD to set up language but I believe that is for the voice commands not language selection (e.g., english, german, etc).

Im not sure a dealer would have any CF cards since these will be at least 10 years old. I have the original language change instructions. Below is the first page as an example where you see the need for the CF card and then another page showing the ability to change the language. But you need the CF card.

Keep checking eBay or contact your dealer. Ebay listing were about $75-150, I believe the dealer is many multiples of that, if available at all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    my pages were out of order, see this first page and the first sentence notice.
    I can send you the full instructions if you PM me your email
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The car didn't come with the CD. I guess I may just have to buy one if even changing the battery will cause me to need the CD. I'll contact the previous owner and see if he has them. Otherwise, hopefully someone here is local enough to me has both and I can borrow them for about 5 minutes.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ok if you get to the point where you can locate the CF card and can install, let me know and I'll get you the instructions. Incidentally, the instruction seem to indicate that you do NOT need the CD. It says when prompted for the CD, ignore and press the Ok (right) knob

8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I wonder if anyone has made a disk image of the CF card so that it can be burned to a spare?

9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well...
    I tried this and have a copy on my laptop. I don’t think it worked but then I’m not a software person. The files are too large to email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Did you just copy the files or did you make an “image” of them? I know you said your not a computer person, so I hope I’m making sense.

For big files i can find a way for you to upload them somewhere using your browser.

Thanks,
    Corey

11. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Pm me

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I have both the CF and CD but I still have an issue and Becker told me they have to call Germany to find out what is going on and how to fix it. I've got the 6112 and I can change the voice as warranted. Everything is in English, except for one thing....the Bluetooth feature. It shows it's in German but I cannot change it no matter what I try. Helga gets kinda upset when I don't respond with the appropriate German response too. Even tried Google Translate but she is a very impatient woman, that Helga....

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #13 CoreyNJ, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    OK... Big question... Pretty sure my radio is the 6112, (it's a 2009, is there a way to tell without pulling the radio). Is the version of the needed CF Card 3.0 and with a System CD 3.6.1 work? If yes, I may have found a set, but before I spend on it, I want to confirm I don't need a 4.0 set.

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Es ist nichts falsch mit dem Radio.

(There is nothing wrong with the radio) ;)

15. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well didn’t want to let a brand new unopened CF card and Disk get away so I bought them. I guess worst case if they don’t work for my unit because my car is a 2009 and this disk set was from a 2008, I’ll post them up here for a slight loss. Still worth a try.

I did call ferrari and they can’t get them anymore and Becker said they can’t either. They also said there is no way to know the current system software to know if a CF card and disk work.

Cheers,
    Corey.

16. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Glad you found a set. I have an 08 and I’m using the 3.6 version. I bet it’ll work.

17. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Judas Priest.........another bumf**k engineering miscue for the F430 used market to deal with? Purposefully planned so customer MUST return to dealer?
    Every time I warm up to F430 another barrage-balloon crops up. Motor mounts, ball joints, Mark this and that defective headers, headlight hazing, codes for radio and immobilizer system, F1 module and clutch life, proprietary SD diagnostic crap that no other device can decipher. Where does it end F430 owners? Does it end?
    (rant over but attracted to F430 like a moth to a flame and gotta take the burn)

And Corey you just bought that sweet 2009 F430, right?

18. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #18 CoreyNJ, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    I actually blame Becker not Ferrari here. I bet they actually store the language data on the CF Card because the radio only actually has German built in and room to store only one other language at a time.

Hopefully, fingers crossed, problem is solved and more importantly I may just be able to add a GPS antenna and now have Nav. I know it's not as good as the one in my iPhone but it built in is very convenient.

19. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I added the antenna and got the nav to work. The antenna can be placed beneath the instrument binnacle, I just Velcro’d it in place. Works fine under there, gets 8 out of 10 satellites.

OTOH, the nav unit is like an 80’s pong game compared to what’s on your phone.

20. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Radio is back in English...

I had to downgrade the radio from 4.0 (I found my original 4.0 System CD in the manual case). I'll keep an eye out for a 4.0 CF Card, but for now Navigation is enabled, I just need to get the GPS antenna, so there is not reason to upgrade to 4.0.

Here are the steps I did to fix the language and enable GPS...

Under the hood/bonnet, disconnect the battery using the correct Torx driver on the switch. Wait about 30 seconds to let everything shutdown and then re-connect the battery.

Turn on the radio and insert the 3.6.1 CD rom into the drive and start the "upgrade". If it hangs up, which mine did on coping data to the flash memory, then reset the power again and start over. Mine worked the second time.

After successfully loading the system software, go to the "Voice settings" and select the first option, it will be in German but is change system language. You will be prompted to insert the Navigation CF Card. Then open the slot by sliding the ferrari logo to the right. Insert the 3.0 CF Card (for some reason the card is 3.0, but the CD is 3.6.1). Choose "English" and then It will then start copying the language from the System CD and will reboot the radio when it's finished. When it's done, you are back in English and Navigation is enabled. Eject the CD and put it away.

Now to order a GPS antenna and figure out how to install it in the factory location (don't want to velcro it anywhere).

Cheers,
    Corey

21. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I forgot one thing, have your radio code handy.. You'll need it since one step is disconnecting the battery.

22. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    IIRC there is a metal cross member behind the instrument panel and below the leather cover where the OEM antenna is mounted. That’s where I velcro’d mine. It’s accessible from the drivers footwell. You can wedge it in since there’s only so much room to work with. But as I mentioned, it gets a clear signal and locks on to a bunch of satellites.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Where did you source your card/disk...and the bigger question, can they be cloned? Given the relative rarity of the disk/card, it may prove helpful to the community at large.

24. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I got mine on eBay.

They can be cloned but it’s not legal to sell or share. In the US, pretty sure you can make a personal backup. I have my card and CD put away with my paperwork and am using a copy CF card and keep a copy of the CD in the car.

here is how to backup your card.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/backing-up-your-navigation-cf-card.619266/

For the CD I just created an ISO and then burned it.

Auraraptor likes this.