Help. Need a 30 day plan to loose 8-10lbs. Now. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Help. Need a 30 day plan to loose 8-10lbs. Now.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Valenzo, May 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I could have wrote this. same same.

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    What Hotshoe is talking about is ketoadaption. In short, it is training your body to run on fat as a primary fuel, instead of carbs. There are a many things that go along with achieving ketoadaption (including less food craving, no "low blood sugar" crashes, etc.). However, what it takes to get there varies between people (because of metabolism and genetic differences). I was skeptical, but I am clearly their and I eating a ton of dairy (but have eliminated everything else Hotshoe has suggested).

My point is that while you need to drastically reduce your carb intake, whether you need to zero out every potential source of carbs depends on your specific biochemistry.

3. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Well, I have reached a plateau. 186 in the morning and 188 before bed. I need to now start a walking regimen and try this simple carb strategy. I have remained sugar free during this entire effort.

4. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Investigate what sugar is lurking in your diet. All kinds of things that you think aren't sugar are. Pasta. Sugar substitutes. Tortillas. Anything that spikes your insulin. The list is endless.

5. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I simply cant eliminate pastas completely (italian) and tortillas (latina wife) but ive cut them to 1 maybe 2 helpings a week

I read every label i consume, i do not eat sugar substitutes as a rule even before this lifestyle change. If it says sugar in the ingredients, i put it back.

My wife and kids are leaving tomorrow for a month (moving in to our other home for the beginning of summer) ill be down the on and off while commuting so since i dont cook. (Can, just dont think i will, (workaholic) so im thinking of nutrisystem for the month i wont see them. (?)

6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Great job staying disciplined so far. Keep it up.

I don't know much about nutrisystem but isn't it simply about portion control? The thing I would be careful of is if their stuff is all processed. Stay away from anything out of a bag or instant.

Why not buy a bunch of steaks and chicken breast? You can cook them easy with a huge side of vegetables. Any one can cook a blackend chicken breast and then throw it on top of some romaine. I eat blackend fish or chicken at least once a day. It's easy and I like it.

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Very true. I'm thinking of adding dairy back to stop my unwanted weight loss and to help with an extra boost of protein.

It's funny but after the first few weeks my sugar cravings disappeared and I just felt more energetic. My wife would joke that I thought I was a furnace because it literally felt like heat was radiating off of me when my metabolism kicked in to high gear.

Even weirder, I don't crave junk. Fact is my body can't handle it. Whenever I have a cheat and eat something fried or loaded with sugar my stomach is a mess.

Amen. They sneak that crap into everything!

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm sorry but it's all too simple, burn more everyday than you take in. That's it. I don't care what you do or what you eat, if you follow this simple statement the weight will fall off you at an alarming rate.

9. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Ted, I'm in awe. Sounds lame but I have always been skinny, through no fault of my own. In the last few years (I am 45 years old) I have developed the classic old guy gut. Even my daughter freaked out last month when she saw me in a swim suit. I read your thread and was inspired "Me too." But, me not! Way harder that I thought to make real change. Congrats!

Dave

10. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Exactly. Count your calories. You can eat nothing but carbs and lose weight. I lost more weight on a high fiber, high carb diet than on a high protein. Healthier too.

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    This is ultimately true, but the details are far more complicated. Mostly, people don't won't to lose weight, they want to lose fat (i.e. decrease their body fat percentage). Negative caloric balance (without regard to what is cut) will cause weight loss, but that may include muscle loss, including the possibility of loss of myocardial (heart) muscle. Additionally, negative caloric balance will usually cause a significant decrease in resting metabolic rate, and may shift biochemical processes in the body. This shift can make it harder to selectively lose fat.

Two years ago I was saying exactly the same thing about it is just "calories in calories out". Now, having done significant research, I still believe the statement is true, but mostly useless and perhaps dangerous for most people. The issue is much more nuanced, and there is significant person to person variability.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Well to update what I started...

I lost my 10lbs in 30 days and because I got in the dicipline of watching and eliminating sugars, I've kept it off. I did however, splurge on chocolates the weekend I arrived at Hershey PA, after all it was Hershey and my birthday but after that weekend, I went back to no sugar in my daily diet. I have maintained the 10lbs off, i eat veggies and almonds as snacks, when I have a sugar craving, I eat a table spoon of peanut butter (my vice). but now I need to get into a workout routine to feel healthier and tone my body.

Thank you to those who suggested this approach (hotshoe) and for all of your individual support.

13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    That's great news, I knew you could do it! I'm glad I could help out. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. In the end, you deserve all the praise because it all comes down to YOU!!!

The trick now is finding some form of exercise that is enjoyable for you and do it. Exercise coupled with the simple no sugar lifestyle will yield even greater results. I've seen several people at my gym lose insane amounts of weight this way.

Great job!!!

14. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Good for you. It's cool that FChat helped out.

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

I officially weighed in (at doctor) at 184. Thats 14lbs lost in exactly 2 months by just avoiding sugar, sugar is in just about everything so it just a matter of reading the ingredients and if in there, i put it back. Some sugars come in under different names so common sense must be used.

What i like most is the loss of back fat and love handles and the fact i am a true 34" waist and close to 33" since all my belts are now on the last hole.

Im going to go for 180 and then build muscle through isometrics and cycling.

Ill keep the thread updated to help others

Its really quite simple.

16. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Four years ago I saw myself in a store window reflection and thought/hoped it was a funhouse mirror but sadly it was not. Weighed in at close to 250 in April. Put together what I call the "Fat Dog Diet" and started on May 1st. August 1st had to buy all new clothes and was down to 205/210.

"Fat Dog Diet" - What do you do when you dog is fat? Move dish away and walk his ass around the block. Same principle - Eat less / move more.

*NOTE: Major impact came from not drinking alcohol for three months - sucked but stopping drinking if you do drink will make pounds drop faster than obese people on a rollercoaster :)

Morning:
    Coffee - Two turkey sausage links rolled in a tortilla
    50 Push ups - 1st set-20 / 2nd set-15 / 3rd set-10 / 4th set 5
    Believe it or not push-ups work your core as well as upper body.

Lunch:
    Unsweetened tea - Turkey or chicken sandwich on whole grain bread
    Walked around office building at brisk pace

Dinner:
    Normal - Lean Cuisine or something portion-controlled. Portions will kill you.
    Celebration/Special: Nice restaurant but leaned towards ones that had a good fish selection.
    Club soda with a lime - looks cool at the bar or restaurant and is actually refreshing and goes with any food.
    At home usually just tea or water.

Late night:
    This is what was killing me - I was always hungry at flippin 1am!! You just have to say no and not eat late - period.

Hope this helps FWIW - Worked for me - Cheers

17. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm still doing the ultra low carb thing (for my lipids, not my weight) thought I have shed another 5 pounds. Some comments:

1) Nut butters mostly have added sugar--if you want to cut carbs, grind your own (at a store) and add an artificial sweetener if needed.

2) Heinz has a no sugar added ketchup--adding it back to the acceptable condiment list.

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The nearly complete elimination of carbs and sugar has worked suprisingly well for me too. 4 weeks ago I was at a function and was speaking to one of the other parents. He claimed to have lost 20kg in 20 weeks, simply by eliminating carbs and sugar, and doing zero exercise.
    Well, the zero excercise really got my attention, he explained the science behind eliminationg carbs & sugar it and it made sense to me ( I studied Chem at uni many lifetimes ago). So I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm truly suprised at the result, lost 6kg (13lb) in a month, still eat plenty of the ( correct ) food,don't feel hungry.

Things that I've stopped eating:
    Bread, Cakes, Italian pastries, Chocolate chip cookies, Chocolate, Nutella, Honey, Jam
    Cereal, Pasta, Potatoes, Pizza, Muesli, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Beer, Soft Drinks,
    Gatorade

What I eat lots of: meat, poultry, fish, veggies, eggs, cheese, california walnuts (only nut low in carbs), Diet coke,

Not hard to do, especially when you see the results.

M

19. NatalliaKosmacheva

Jul 23, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Natallia
    Simple and easy. First thing to do is to make consistent your wakeup-bed hours. Another big mistake is to exclude sugar from the diet. That is forbidden thing. Replace cornbars and candies with honey and dark chocolate. But you need to consume sugar, otherwise in two weeks you will fail a diet just because brain and blood need to be enriched with sugar.

Ok, a diet, here we are:

Breakfast: Any porridge (oatmeal, barley) with low glycemic index. You won’t be hungry for at least 3-4 hours. Add A COUPLE of nuts, raisins to make it not so boring. Tea, coffee, whatever drink you want + small dark chocolate bar.

Branch: Berries, light fruits, tea.

Lunch: Proteins should be separately from carbohydrates. If you decide to order fish, seafood, white (poultry) or red meat (beef, lamb) then it means JUST meat. No mashed potato or vegies on the side. On the other hand, if you eat rice this day you may combine it with yammy peppers, corn, etc.

* If you workout, eat some 1% cottage cheese or eggs 2h before going to the gym.

Dinner: If you workout, at this time point you shouldn’t be hungry as hell. So eat tomato (for heart), cabbage (for muscle relief), broccoli. If extremely hungry, eat a big apple, plum, apricot. For muscules – 1% cottage cheese again will be perfect

If you do not work out, then eat something light, like salad with tomatos, cucambers, radish with lemon juice dressing. Tea.

No bananas and grapes
    No bread
    No alcohol, even a can of beer!
    No mayo and ketchup apriori
    No soda, sweeterners and juices.
    Drink flat water all the day long.

Easy to follow, just need to be confident that you really need to loose weight.

Good luck!

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    /\ Interesting write up. I may try the dark chocolate part.

Update. Im officially at 180 lbs woo hoo. My belts are at the last or made by me, holes. And all my jeans fit again. Shirts too.

Exactly 18lbs lost in 2 months. I might try to go to 175. The last time i was 175 was a freshman in HS.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Yes! You are rocking now!!! 175 will be easily attainable at your current rate. There is an older woman at my Crossfit who is at a +70 pound loss and counting. She too is busting her butt and following this simple no sugar diet.

There is nothing wrong with a small treat once a month (who doesn't want some Coldstone ice cream?) but don't fool yourself that dark chocolate every day is ok. I'm sorry but that just isn't good unless you are burning so many calories exercising you can slip it in and it is a slippery slope to start on. Your brain and body do not need processed sugar. If you want some sugar for an energy spike try eating fruit.

For example, I recently tried an experiment the past two weeks where I had one spoon of sugar in my coffee every morning. My regimen and diet were exactly the same other than that one daily spoon of sugar in my coffee. Net result, a five pound gain. YMMV.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good work, Valenzo!

I've been running to burn calories, and seriously watching my intake. So I'm currently very sensitive to calories.

A spoonful of sugar once a day over two weeks can't possibly equal five pounds. A tablespoon is about 50 calories, which over 14 days is 700 calories. It takes about 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, or a whopping 17,500 for five pounds. In other words, your reported change is 2,500% bigger than expected by the calorie count.

However, I'm not saying you didn't experience the gain with your experiment. The body does do funny things with sugar. It's a good illustration that all calories are not the same.

Matt

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I was shocked by the gain as I also thought it didn't make any sense. I don't seem to have put on any additional muscle so I assumed it was all from the sugar? Maybe my spoon is too big! ;) Sugar has a strong pull on me and even adding a little in my diet makes me want it more.

My body seems to instantly turn sugar into fat. Whenever I cut it out 100%, including fruit, I almost instantly lean out. I never really believed in calorie counting because my body handles different calories in strange ways. I think that is the difficult thing about establishing a diet in that everyone reacts differently to different foods. My wife for instance loves processed carbs but they hate her. Add them to her diet and the pounds soon follow.

This way of thinking all started back in March when I went strict Paleo as an experiment to see how it would effect my training. I wanted to bulk up but despite eating everything healthy in site 5 - 7 times a day I leaned down so much people couldn't believe it. In fact, once I started getting close to 150 down from 175 I went off the routine. I think I have a very high metabolism compared to most and that why little changes have such drastic results. Then again, I'm an artist so what do I know? ;)

None the less. I weigh myself every morning and today I am right back at my starting point before adding that sugar. Who knows?!?

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It can be really crazy, can't it, Anthony?

I've been getting more lean than I should be just with diet and exercise. Lots of leafy greens and building muscle burns off calories.

Drinking beer, on the other hand, gives me instant love handles!

And if I haven't said it before, I really like your artwork!

Matt

25. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris