Help needed servicing the fuel filter / regulator on a LP5000S Countach | FerrariChat

Help needed servicing the fuel filter / regulator on a LP5000S Countach

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Redlambo, Jan 9, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    If anyone has any knowledge on servicing the fuel filter regulator on a 1984 LP5000S Countach, I would appreciate any advice on what to remove other than the entire powertrain to gain access. I have a leak from the filter bowl and need to fix it.

From my evaluation so far it appears that if I remove the one metal coolant pipe running on top and parallel to the air filter box along with possibly the fuel lines on the left side of the engine along with possibly the metal tube / hose for the vacuum canister I might just be able to access it in order to try and tighten the screw under the bowl. If that fails I guess the next step is removing the air filter box and possibly the rear carburetor.

2. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Vic,
    the fuel pressure regulator is directly behind the drivers head. It should be accessable to service, but yes it's not at all easy to access.
    Perhaps these pictures help: Lamborghini Countach LP500s DLA12662

3. I would remove the wing/trunk first. Takes about 5 minutes. Then the drivers side air cleaner lid, then carb trumpets & then the air cleaner. Use an old pillow or cushion to lay on top of the engine. Access will still be tight, but I would try that before draining the coolant & removing the pipe.

4. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Thanks Raymond.
    Yes I know where it is as I can see it leaking from the bottom of the bowl.
    It is the accessibility part that is the problem.
    Everything is in the way.

5. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Thanks EarlyCat.
    Trunk and deck lid is already off as this is the first step for any significant work to be done on the engine and yes, step two is moving blankets over the top of the engine, then a step stool to climb into the trunk.
    I am very tempted to remove the left coolant pipe as the radiator fluid has already been drained.
    It is only three hose clamps and its out of there. Worst case scenario it will make removal of the air boxes easier if I still cannot access the bottom of the fuel bowl.

6. Sure if you have it drained then no problem removing the pipe.

7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Yep remove that coolant pipe and air-cleaner box and then you can access, it should be a small malpassi filter/regulator.

8. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Thanks Simon.

I will keep everyone posted on my slow progress.

9. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
  10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I wonder whether it could have been easier to remove the coolant expansion bottle only

11. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    One of those situations where you wish you had the hands of a six year old..

2NA likes this.
  12. Rapallo

Rapallo Rookie

Sep 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    nils johnsen
    This is a terrible design, you should use this opportunity to change/simpleyfie the layout. extend/replace fuel lines,mount filter in an accesible spot.

13. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Absolutely, the factory design is not the best, see what I did when we replaced the head gasket.
    Imagine, they made the Y to connect the two fuellines coming from the pumps inside the engine bay near the headers, I made the Y just at the fuel pumps and lined the fuel line between the tank and the firewall directly up to the filter, nothing inside the hot engine bay anymore. That's how they should have done from the beginning!
    Lamborghini Countach #GLA12997 Head Gasket Fix

Rapallo likes this.
  14. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Personally as your this far in, just unbolt the filter - from memory its 2 m6 bolts and then take the thing out as you can check what is really wrong, sometimes the gasket can go bad between the top part and the bowl. Its little more work and you can change the filter easily at the same time.

15. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Raymond, that is what I initially started to do.
    I took all three bolts out and tried to remove the expansion tank and it was giving me a hard time.
    After a bit of trying to get it out I realized that it would not help me that much and determined it would be best to simply remove the coolant tube and air box.

16. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    That is what I am thinking.

Thank you

17. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Nils, the problem is that there are few places to do this on a side draft Countach.
    On Raymond's down draft Countach there was more room to work with moving things around a little bit.

18. Rapallo

Rapallo Rookie

Sep 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    nils johnsen
    good point

19. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
  20. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
  21. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Definitely a good time to entirely service the unit, also to replace the fuel lines if not done.

22. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Everything will be serviced and replaced properly as I do not want to do this again anytime soon.

23. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Had an idea and might try it on my car, just add some female to female turnbuckles (with studs added on one end) to the current studs and then fasten the unit to these as it will be higher up and easier to access. Its a bolt on fix and can be removed leaving the car as originally intended.

24. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Be very careful as you might be right on top of the positive terminal block assembly.

2NA likes this.
  25. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Well I rebuilt the filter / regulator and the replacement regulator diaphragm was slightly different.
    The original one had a nipple that located the spring and the new one does not and it raises the spring approximately 1/8"
    When I checked the pressure it read 7 psi, which I believe is to high.
    I tried to adjust it down to 3.5 psi however I ran the adjustment screw came out.
    Does anyone know what the idea fuel pressure setting is?