Help needed servicing the fuel filter / regulator on a LP5000S Countach | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Help needed servicing the fuel filter / regulator on a LP5000S Countach

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Redlambo, Jan 9, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yeah 3.5 would probably be the limit, maybe 4 max, 7 will blow past the floats.

2. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Looks like I am about to corner the market in Malpassi / Filter King pressure regulator diaphragms as the one that I ordered on January 29 is in shipping purgatory (more than likely sitting in a US postal location collecting dust).
    I know have two additional diaphragms on order from two different groups with expedited shipping in order to finally wrap this project up.
    Hopefully one of the two will arrive before next weekend.
    For the record the diaphragm is manufactured by Malpassi and the part number is FSERA014.
    If you need one right away contact me as I am going to have at least one or possibly two spares laying around. LOL

4. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Well I am besides myself, I got both replacement diaphragms yesterday and rebuilt the filter / regulator again.
    I am still getting 7 psi on my pressure gauge and the lowest reading I can get is 5.5 psi before the adjustment screw comes out.
    HELP, I am going flipping crazy. LOL

5. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Without seeing it, it is difficult to say what the issue is. However I would take a close look at how it assembled, you are looking for a way to put it together that reduces the compression on the spring. Wear patterns on the old parts can give you clues on the correct way to assemble it. The other thing I would look at is the vent. If the vent is clogged, it would act like you have a higher spring load. Also look at the old diaphragm, are there any dimensions differences between the old one and new one? Any dimensional changes that compress the spring more?

cheers Jim

6. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Honestly, I'm wondering why you didn't replace the entire unit, they are not expensive and considering the state/age of yours I'd have replaced it directly if I was you.

2NA likes this.
  7. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    The diaphragm is identical in everyway and I made sure to installing in the proper orientation.
    It was straight forward in rebuilding it and the vent holes is free from any obstructions.
    I verified the pressure with a number of different pressure gauges, all read 7 psi and the lowest operating pressure I can achieve is roughly 5.5 psi.

8. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Raymond it is hard to find the proper filter regulator here in the United States.
    All of the ones I saw had the outlet piping in the downward position as opposed to pointing upward.
    I have since found an exact match of this unit and may purchase it.
    I am trying to exhaust all options before proceeding with a new unit all together.
    One of my concerns is what if I install a brand new unit and still get a 7 psi reading?
    Does anyone know definitively that the pressure setting is 3 psi?
    I know a semi retired Lamborghini technician who is trying to verify the exact factory setting for the regulator.

9. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    I finally got things sorted out and back together.
    Below is a summary of what I did and what I believe the underlying cause of the high fuel pressure.

First a bit of history, the last time the car had a major service the OEM, Corona fuel pumps were replaced with Faucet pumps.
    They were replaced with high pressure Faucet pumps that can produce up to 8 psi in fuel pressure.
    The OEM 67mm Malpassi fuel filet regulator is equipped with an internal pressure spring that is factory set at 7 psi, this spring measures 15.8 mm
    This makes the OEM filter regulator redundant as the OEM Corona pumps cannot produce over 4 psi, however when the new pumps were installed the pressure could not be regulated down to the 3.5 psi level.

I ordered a new Malpassi stand alone fuel pressure regulator that is factory preset for weber carburetors. However this is a fuel pressure regulator only (No Filter Element) see attached photo.
    When I installed this new regulator and energized the pumps it read exactly 4 psi.
    My original intent was the install this after the OEM unit however I could not find ample room to mount it, so I removed it,
    I noted the height of the adjustment screw and then removed the screw to access the spring and to my surprise the spring was approximately 1/8" shorter than the spring in the OEM unit, as it measured 11.75 mm.

I then decided to remove the adjustment screw and spring from the OEM Malpassi fuel filter regulator and install the shorter spring form the new unit into the OEM unit.
    When I did this, I set the jamb nut at the same distance it was set at on the new Malpassi regulator which was 0.310" of screw thread showing from the top of the jamb nut.
    After I install the new shorter spring at the factory preset level I energized the pumps and they read exactly 4 psi. I turned the pumps off and then reduced the pressure down to 3.5 psi.

All is finished and the car is running well.

Sincerely Vic

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3f9fHeJiECgFDqTG8

Attached Files: